Match Thread: Lincoln City v Mansfield Town | Page 12 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Mansfield Town

Yes - Bostwick was struggling, need to protect him for Saturday, or at least not exacerbate any injury.

Agreed. I’d of just put a midfielder on or donething. It’s not like we had anything to lose.

I’m not doubting the Cowleys, just an odd substitution from my view.

Well after last year this is a bonus competition. Would be great to replicate last year but the priority is the league and rightly so.

I don't think we have seen the back of the Checkatrade quiet yet.

Certainly hope not too! We need a big result at Scunny now to set up a deciding match vs Wolves (and hopefully a big crowd).
Important to stay in so the squad players DO get games as well as trying to defend our Trophy.
And if some have fallen short tonight (and last week) then that is also useful knowledge for management...

We did the Checkatrade Trophy last year, and to brilliant effect. We have our training ground to show for it. But this year has to be about the league, and perhaps the FA Cup. Because we have done very well in cup competitions during the last two seasons, our players have been dead on their feet for the final month or so of the league programme. Not this time, please.

Quick second look at the O'Connor incident. O'Connor and their player get in a tangle competing for the ball with nothing in that and they both trip forward. A pack of Mansfield players pile in on O'Connor as he is laid on top of their player, can't see what it is he is meant to have done although Thommo on the opposite side to the cameras thinks he saw a punch. If it was he must have quicker hands than Connor McGregor:unsure:.

Regarding Flitcroft and NC - final whistle goes and DF shakes hands with DC straight away but snubs NC twice for whatever reason. Looks like NC makes comment which causes DF to have a hissy fit and stride after NC. The pair are kept apart by some big lads from the coaching staff. DF should have shaken hands or if he was so upset with whatever had gone before with NC and should have just walked away and kept his dignity because NC was obviously going to comment on the non shake. Ah well sets it up nicely for the league fixtures.

Last edited:
Agreed. I’d of just put a midfielder on or donething. It’s not like we had anything to lose.

I’m not doubting the Cowleys, just an odd substitution from my view.

Not replacing Bozzie directly would have left Crookes even more exposed, and one thing which has been clear the last 2 Tuesdays is that's not wise. Yes its 'odd' but with the injuries and the need to give Shackell a rest, there was no other choice - unless Rheady moved to CB.

DC just said Mansfield fouled Lincoln players every 28 seconds we had possession. That sounds incredible. And we end up a man down!
Of the young and new lads, Gordon looked good tonight.

It’s perfect in truth to keep playing the younger fringe players. I thought Crookes, Chapman, Gordon and Luque did some good things and elements that will serve them well in the future.

It will also do Mensah good to get minutes as he looks a little bit short of match fitness.

Valuable rest for Eardley, Shackell etc. Sharp learning curve for Chapman and Luque who were up against experienced players in central midfield and will be better for the experience. They didn't create much but all things considered battled well and weren't shown up by any means. Useful yards into the legs of McCartan and Mensah who again didn't do a great deal but will have benefitted. Slight worry about Bossie going off but should be patched up for Saturday. Crookes looked a bit shaky but still a young lad. Toffolo continues to impress down the left side. Overall meh - game served a purpose with regard to the bigger picture and the approach can be re-assessed for the next two group games.

DC just said Mansfield fouled Lincoln players every 28 seconds we had possession. That sounds incredible. And we end up a man down!
Of the young and new lads, Gordon looked good tonight.

Gordon looked better in 2nd half getting forward I thought, looks more like a right winger.

coombes fell short at left centre back. i thought he was left back cover? way behind the level of wharton.

for every good thing luque did, there was a sloppy pass giving the ball away. same with chapman. dangerous game in centre midfield.

there is a huge gap between these and the first 11 when tested over more than a few minutes. but as subs for a few minutes, or standing in alongside 9 or 10 of the first team it would be less noticeable.

we had the option to bring on akinde to chase the equaliser, but didn't...

on the plus side
gordon looks good on the ball, and did very well going forward, not tested defending against a winger though.

best first 45 minutes by anderson in ages, then he was back to the usual frustrations in the second 45.

Odd game punctuated by mistakes and very low on quality. Mansfield overly aggressive but as Danny says it's a free hit with cards only counting for the Checkatrade. This rule although ridiculous does benefit us with O'Connor's moment of madness.

The focus is the league and that's made clear by the team selection. It's not one I'll look back on and say it should've been different even if we don't win on Saturday. It's likely that will be Luque's first and only appearance at CM. It was nice to see Jamie again though.

No need to dwell on this. Back to normality with the big hitters restored to the starting XI.

Expecting the benches to be tasty during the two Mansfield games this season.

That was a real throwback to those conference games 5 or so years ago. One team full of cloggers from the first minute to the last, no sustained composure from either side, resulting in the ball going from back to front very quickly. Constant stoppages and blasts on the whistle from the referee whenever he felt like it and a useless co-op side linesman. Thankfully those days are (hopefully) long gone.

Bostwick only started cos Wilson is injured and Wharton is banned.
With Bostwick struggling wonder if Wharton will start on Saturday?

O'Connor is going to get sent off 9/10 for that. He has barged into the Mansfield player which would probably be a booking in itself and then aimed what is more a slap than a punch at him but with the ref close by he is always destined for first in the showers.
Flitcroft apparently injured his hand in a diy accident so isn't able to shake hands at the moment

Completely disjointed performance but that is only to be expected with that many changes. Could see which were the first choice players and agree the right back was the best and he should become part of the team rotation

Things are so much better if a 2-1 loss to a decent team is warranting some fans to ask for their money back. ??? Would have been money back every week under Holdsworth.

That was Jamie McCombe's first appearance since the FA Trophy semi-final first leg defeat at York on 14 March 2017.

Bostwick only started cos Wilson is injured and Wharton is banned.
With Bostwick struggling wonder if Wharton will start on Saturday?
Well somebody is going to need to step up with no doubt Ollie Palmer rampaging about like a deranged ferret in a hen house. Looking forward to that battle.