Match Thread: Lincoln City v Ipswich Town | Page 8 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Ipswich Town

Pretty alarming to hear Appleton in his post-match interview praising our performance and talking about "so many positives." Err, could you list some of them for us Michael? Because I'm wracking my brains here.

Maybe he thought he was too harsh on Saturday, and wanted to balance it out. But if we want to improve anytime soon, we've got to call a spade a spade - and an awful performance an awful performance.

I thought we played well tonight and had the far better chances, we just cannot stick them away. We did, though, blow a huge opportunity of progressing tonight given the team they had out.

January is key, MA calls some favours in and all is well. Judge him post Jan & Aug 2020, in the meantime give him total support, he’s got what he’s got.

I've just posted in the 'Who' thread about how difficult January is to get the right players. This includes young loanees. MA needs to be given proper time to assemble his own team and by that I mean next summer. If that squad has to be assembled with a view to getting promotion back from League 2 so be it. This January is too early to make a definitive assessment of him as our manager

The problem is, we can't score and we gift the opposition one golden opportunity every single game. That's all it takes to lose.
Blimey Notty, I’m finding I’m liking and agreeing with almost every post you make ... what on earth is going on? ?

It's ok for the like of Manchester City, not for a L1 side. All I see is potential danger from giving it away closer to your goal, I see no benefit for us whatsoever!

I was having kittens at one point ??? .... that Pep geezer, has a lot to answer for ?

Just got home.
Thought we played well, except the not scoring goals bit. Kept them to 3 shots at our goal all night.
The effort was certainly there and if (I know, 'if' my Grandmother had b*lls she'd be my Grandfather), if Bruno hadn't had to go off I'm sure we'd have won, without the extra time or penalties being required.

We looked good going forward and defended well. Almost perfectly, well, until 15 seconds beford the end. Harried them off the ball and put some nice through balls on but unfortunately no-one fast enough to connect at times.

Stick at it, it will come good. Rome wasn't built in a day. UTI.

Add to the list:
Passing
Crossing
Set pieces

Exactly that.
This Ipswich team were not that good.
(as Portsmouth were not that good, as Gillingham were not that good etc etc).
We kept gaining possession, making a short pass or two and then repeatedly giving it away again, unforced error after unforced error.
Our basic passing is just woeful.
Then corners and free kicks. We hardly ever seen to get them to one of our players. They either go straight to the keeper or another opposition player, or just straight out of play.
Now, I presume golfers and cricketers and snooker players and darts players practice shots etc over and over again as accuracy is the key to them being successful or not.
Do our players not practice kicking the ball??

It's just all such a let down at the moment. We could have won tonight, but it was our own failings over and over again that let us down.

So end of cups for this season. No extra income now possible. January window has just become a whole lot harder.

I cannot fathom playing it out from the back from goal kicks with both centre backs wide. I thought we played well for most of the game tonight and should have been winning at half time. I do think that things will click soon. January is key but I am prepared to be disappointed. Will clubs above us be willing to loan players to a struggling club? The aim is to stay in L1 now which I think we will do. Just.

I don't think we will click any time soon.
Nor frankly do I see us staying up.

My view on last night was not that we played badly but as with most games this season we are simply never looking likely to score. One goal from the opposition and it does feel like game over. We didn’t create one real chance in the first half. Second was better with I think 3 reasonable attempts. Hesketh was unlucky at the end as it was a good save by their keeper. With our current squad it’s difficult to see how we can change this until January.

My view on last night was not that we played badly but as with most games this season we are simply never looking likely to score. One goal from the opposition and it does feel like game over. We didn’t create one real chance in the first half. Second was better with I think 3 reasonable attempts. Hesketh was unlucky at the end as it was a good save by their keeper. With our current squad it’s difficult to see how we can change this until January.

Didn’t create one real chance first half? Akinde had a golden opportunity after 14 mins and lashed it wide and very early on had a shot blocked, so that was two chances.

I was amazed at the number of scouts there last night. Must have been half a dozen or so in attendance, including one from Forest.

I was amazed at the number of scouts there last night. Must have been half a dozen or so in attendance, including one from Forest.
Well they wouldn't have been there to see any of our lot! Oh, save one they saw been carried off on a stretcher.