Match Thread: Lincoln City v Ipswich Town | Page 7 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Ipswich Town

Pretty alarming to hear Appleton in his post-match interview praising our performance and talking about "so many positives." Err, could you list some of them for us Michael? Because I'm wracking my brains here.

Maybe he thought he was too harsh on Saturday, and wanted to balance it out. But if we want to improve anytime soon, we've got to call a spade a spade - and an awful performance an awful performance.

Can’t put a finger on it but another game we should have won over recent weeks. It’s simply criminal the chances we are missing, we just aren’t ruthless at key moments - yet we all walked away thinking it was a relatively nice performance.

Maybe that’s the issue we are too nice. I felt Grant and Chapman did ok as a makeshift midfield but scared of getting hurt in the tackle. Losing Bruno was a massive loss as I felt he had the right back on toast during the first 20 minutes. I am also starting to wonder what Jack Payne offers no assists, no goals?

Although it all feels pretty doom and gloom right now, if we do manage to stay up then it would signal another huge shift in the fortunes of our club. Hopefully we are just experiencing a bump in the road and Appleton can do what he did at Oxford, after all that didn’t happen overnight.

All is not lost, the journey is still on track. Come on you Imps!

Pretty alarming to hear Appleton in his post-match interview praising our performance and talking about "so many positives." Err, could you list some of them for us Michael? Because I'm wracking my brains here.

Maybe he thought he was too harsh on Saturday, and wanted to balance it out. But if we want to improve anytime soon, we've got to call a spade a spade - and an awful performance an awful performance.

I don’t believe it was awful we played some decent football had chances, and limited Ipswich to long range opportunities. On that basis you could say we created and defended well. If you are judging the performance on our standard of finishing then I agree, but we have witnessed far worse than that tonight.

I don’t believe it was awful we played some decent football had chances, and limited Ipswich to long range opportunities. On that basis you could say we created and defended well. If you are judging the performance on our standard of finishing then I agree, but we have witnessed far worse than that tonight.

Did we limit Ipswich to long-range chances, or did they limit themselves? For long periods, they seemed to have no interest in going for goal, passing up numerous chances to put the ball in the box, content to pass it around with no real intent. It was almost as if they didn't want to score. We created a bit more, but not much. Both teams were very careless in possession.

Maybe "awful" is going too far, but if Appleton is genuinely pleased with how we played, our standards have slipped faster than I thought possible.

Did we limit Ipswich to long-range chances, or did they limit themselves? For long periods, they seemed to have no interest in going for goal, passing up numerous chances to put the ball in the box, content to pass it around with no real intent. It was almost as if they didn't want to score. We created a bit more, but not much. Both teams were very careless in possession.

Maybe "awful" is going too far, but if Appleton is genuinely pleased with how we played, our standards have slipped faster than I thought possible.

Not sure airing your dirty laundry in public every time is a modern football thing. Let’s be honest he has what he has to work with, and imagine will want to rectify that at the first opportunity.

We look a very fragile team imho, especially confidence wise in front of goal.
Just can't see how the January window is going to turnover enough of the squad to sort this out.

Looking at it dispassionately I think a neutral who left at 90 mins would struggle to understand how we lost that game.
Looking at it with my Imps hat on it’s become a familiar theme & confidence must be well down now. We somehow have to hold our nerve and perhaps be thankful we haven’t got many games coming up.
I think having the heartbeat (Bossie) of the side out for a run of games which hasn’t happened in the previous 3 seasons is effecting us greatly.

If only we had another striker decent enough to play in League One other than Tyler Walker...

I cannot fathom playing it out from the back from goal kicks with both centre backs wide. I thought we played well for most of the game tonight and should have been winning at half time. I do think that things will click soon. January is key but I am prepared to be disappointed. Will clubs above us be willing to loan players to a struggling club? The aim is to stay in L1 now which I think we will do. Just.

E.g. last Saturday?

Not that I witnessed tonight's game.

To give MApp his due, he did say it would get worse before it got better. I scent the possibility that the corner has been turned for a couple of reasons: there had to be a real stinker of a game to shake the squad up and we now have some key players coming back.

Currently glum, but keeping the faith!

well that about sums up this season
Hopefully we’ve some reinforcements for up top
Does that result put the Bolton postponement game back into the spare Saturday??
No thanks,especially as we are going through a lean spell.
Carry that game over into 2020 when we might have a performing 11.

To be balanced if we had a L1 quality striker on the pitch we’d have won that very easily.

A voice of reason. A goalscorer was all that was missing. When your single striker either cannot hit the target, or has a shot that is a weak as a light wind, that is what you get. Roll on January and (hopefully) an influx of a player (striker) or two. We'd have won both games easily by taking simple goalscoring opportunities.

Have to say that tonight was frustrating. I think we are suffering a lack of confidence in front of goal as some very decent chances were made without being taken. Sometimes the game can be very cruel though as we didn't deserve that last minute kick in the teeth as Ipswich offered very little in attack.
We are going through a rough patch. Some of the chances tonight would have gone in last season.
What we need is to take advantage on having two free weekends and get back to attacking basics on the training ground. Although I still have a ticket in my account for the Bolton game I;d rather we don't play it on the 30th now as we need to build the confidence again before we go into competitive league matches. Two and a half weeks on the training pitch to get us back to somewhere where we need to be