Match Thread: Lincoln City v Hull City | Page 38 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Hull City

Just going to say I'm not personally saying people can't have an opinion (!) I just don't agree. That's not the same thing

There is sharing an opinion, then there is being constantly negative about certain players, rather than giving them time and a chance.

Jules, the way you give referees time and a chance, despite a fair decision often being made?

from a neutral perspective, I’ve found reading these match threads increasingly a closed shop with little room for genuine debate (genuine debate includes cynicism). Again, im sure this is also something other lurkers will agree with and it doesnt reflect particularly well on some users.

TJ is streets ahead of Poole and Should be starting at RB if we reach the play offs. Not blaming Poole for us losing today or previously, he‘s just nowhere near the quality of TJ. This is not knee jerk because we lost today, it’s formed based on watching every match both players have pulled on an imps shirt for. Michael Appleton might see it different, Clive Nates might see it different, Clive Ford might see it different... but That’s my opinion and not forcing that on anybody else. Sick of seeing posters get shot down for voicing their opinion. everybody here supports the mighty imps at the end of the day. Never posted before but would be surprised if a lot of other lurkers domt share the same sentiments as me.

Agreed. Is our current position an amazing achievement? Yes. Has Michael Appleton been one of the best managers in the league this season? Yes. Have some of our players improved beyond recognition? Yes. But it doesn't mean that people shouldn't be allowed to criticise the performances of players who they feel aren't showing the quality needed to sustain our current level for next season. In my opinion Bramall has had some atrocious games and some fairly good ones. Poole has had some poor games and some average ones. Unfortunately, no matter how many times you praise certain things, if you're critical of anyone at all on here, you're considered to be someone who always attacks the club on here.

Jules, the way you give referees time and a chance, despite a fair decision often being made?

from a neutral perspective, I’ve found reading these match threads increasingly a closed shop with little room for genuine debate (genuine debate includes cynicism). Again, im sure this is also something other lurkers will agree with and it doesnt reflect particularly well on some users.

I can only assume you haven't read some of my posts in match threads recently, then.

The first of which stated that I use the match threads as a punch bag. By that, I literally mean, life is tough right now, especially working in the care industry, so when I go onto a match thread, I just let go, and the referee tends to be the target, whether I mean what I have posted or not, and the chances are, I don't, I'm just taking my frustration out on the match thread.

Oh, and being critical of a referee is hardly the same as constantly being critical of a new player without giving them a chance.

Anyone can post on the match threads, they are not a "closed shop".

All Clive is saying is what a few of us have been saying for weeks. The two new full backs have not been up to the standard of the players they replaced, and - even taking into account subsequent injuries - their selection upset the balance of the defence.

In my view, after seeing 15+ games, Poole is not as good as TJ, and even Gotts was better in that position. Brammall is not as good as Edun, and is not even better than Roughan or Melbourne.

With a full pre-season both may improve and be a vital part of the squad next year. This year though they unsettled the squad at a time when injuries were already starting to do that. If we had not signed them and kept Gotts and Melbourne instead as back up, I firmly believe that even with our injuries we would be challenging Peterbourough for that second spot.

As for today, I got sick of hearing Hortin say that we were putting up a good show against a team at the top of the league. Three months ago WE were top of the league, which he seemed to have forgotten!
The new signings were a Godsend at a time when Injuries and Covid have hampered our season .Where are Gotts and Melbourne playing at this time? Why am I even bothering with your bullshit?

Agreed. Is our current position an amazing achievement? Yes. Has Michael Appleton been one of the best managers in the league this season? Yes. Have some of our players improved beyond recognition? Yes. But it doesn't mean that people shouldn't be allowed to criticise the performances of players who they feel aren't showing the quality needed to sustain our current level for next season. In my opinion Bramall has had some atrocious games and some fairly good ones. Poole has had some poor games and some average ones. Unfortunately, no matter how many times you praise certain things, if you're critical of anyone at all on here, you're considered to be someone who always attacks the club on here.
Of course anyone can and should be critical .Opinions count .The only reason you feel persecuted is because you are in a minority regarding this discussion . I have ploughed a lone furrow on this site many times . You might sometimes be wrong even though you think you are always right .I will always respect any ones opinion even though ,as in this case you are wrong .

Last edited:
A decent team performance against the top side in the league, and for good periods we bossed it. A couple of mistakes and an inability to create more clear cut chances cost us. Promotion is still in our hands.

On to the next one...

Of course anyone can and should be critical .Opinions count .The only reason you feel persecuted is because you are in a minority regarding this discussion . I have ploughed a lone furrow on this site many times . You might sometimes be wrong even though you think you are always right .I will always respect any ones opinion even though ,as in this case you are wrong .
Thank you Colin Murphy!

I like TJ Eyoma and so do Spurs. He's a good player. I completely understand why people think he's a better player than Poole.

Defensively, I am not sure there is that much between them. Okay Poole's made a mistake today but TJ has made the odd mistake too. But both are good defenders.

TJ I agree is better receiving the ball on the touchline and link play. TJ is very good at it. Poole is just good at it.

I defy anyone to say TJ is a big threat in the
final third. I am sure MA sees Poole as more likely to be effective in this area.

... and at the end of the day it's much harder to create goals than stop them.

That's the potential he sees in Poole and why I think he is just infront of Eyoma in MA's eyes.

I am not sure the fruits of that potential have necessarily been realised yet but there have been glimpses.

It's not a clear cut case either way at the minute but it's quite possible that one or two bits of better delivery in the attacking third Poole is capable of, might prove MA right in one of the games that decide our fate in the coming weeks.

If I were picking the side I would have TJ in it but I am quite prepared to recognise I would almost certainly be getting it wrong.

MA is not a fool and has constructed as good a side as Lincoln have had for many years.

I am prepared to believe he knows better than me. Perhaps others might consider a similar possibility as well.

Last edited:
I am sure we will make the playoffs

that is a game of chance just look at the Keith years.

if we don’t win them we will be stronger for it.

if don’t go up we are still miles ahead of this time last year.

We did play well overall and in a weird way, I'm glad the distance between us and the top 2 will be a large one rather than 1 or 2 points that leaves us wondering 'what if?'. We need to grab a win against Shrewsbury and then just treat the last 3 games as training matches, getting minutes into some of the players. If we have a near enough full squad to choose from for the playoffs then we've got a chance.

I’d defy that - a lot of fans are suggesting Poole is of greater attacking value than TJ. I’m not seeing any proof of that. Throw a stat about TJ goals and assists from RB, but what has Poole provided in goals and assists in his 15 games? Also take into account the link up play and understanding TJ has, and has had with Brennan, with Scully, even with Harry from day dot. View game 1-15 of this season as TJ’s first 15, compared with Poole in his first 15. Whether the lack of Poole’s understanding with his right winger is his fault, I’ve got no evidence... but he is the common denominator to the dysfunction on that wing going forwards at the moment no doubt. and this isn’t about bashing Poole and scapegoating , this is about TJ currently being the best RB at the club.

Where will it end Vicle Dorf? Are we but Star Wars characters doing verbal [bullshit] battle in a universe far far away ? You do realise you have used Drugload before? .Therefore .I must surmise it renders your retort quite impotent
I fear it is as impotent as it's compiler!