Match Thread: Lincoln City v Derby County | Page 8 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Derby County

Credit to the players today they were all outstanding.
I was worried we would be vulnerable today to their wide players and although at times we were I thought on the whole we coped ok. If we persist with 4 at the back though I still wouldn't mind a bit more depth and quality at full back although saying that we do have Burroughs and Eyoma to provide cover.
Going forwards would also like to see us getting to the opposition byline and getting more crosses in. Hackett provides quality but he doesn't drive to the byline that much so hopefully that is one of the areas we are still looking to strengthen this season and we can find someone to provide more ammunition for the front two.
Understand the desire to get game time into other players but I was surprised we replaced the most dangerous player on the pitch. He has a lot of the attributes to be successful at a higher level, just add a bit of composure and a pair of shinpads.
Also glad we got to see a bit of Draper's abilities today. Having followed him closely in Ireland and Warsaw I know he has got a lot more to show and he will improve bundles in the future.

Sat with two Derby fans today - (friend and his son). The son is a well badged technical football coach and it was fascinating listening to him explain stuff in micro detail rather than the macro view 'us' uneducated fans see. For example, he spotted straight away that a Derby midfielder took up a slightly strange body position when Hamilton got possession of the ball for the first time and was facing him up, and then understood immediately why, the moment he saw Hamilton was a left footer on the right side of central midfield. He was also consistently able to call the moves ahead of them taking place and accurately predicted where, why and how Lincoln were about to open Derby up.

Anyway, bottom line his take was that whilst Derby controlled the pace the game was played at, Lincoln were exceptionally well drilled and Skubala owned Warne with his tactical set up, was always ahead of him with his in play adaptations which rarely allowed the Rams to do anything meaningful with the ball.

His biggest moan was that Taylor and Draper had played on and fully exposed every weakness in Cashin's game to the extent that the defender had no idea how to combat what they were doing and ended up not knowing where his starting position should be or if/when he should be attacking the ball...and in so doing had knocked a million off his value in one match, "and there's no way Brighton will be signing him after that mauling".

I feel less anxious and more settled about the rest of the season after today; especially after the muddled first hour at Wycombe had raised my concerns.

Sat with two Derby fans today - (friend and his son). The son is a well badged technical football coach and it was fascinating listening to him explain stuff in micro detail rather than the macro view 'us' uneducated fans see. For example, he spotted straight away that a Derby midfielder took up a slightly strange body position when Hamilton got possession of the ball for the first time and was facing him up, and then understood immediately why, the moment he saw Hamilton was a left footer on the right side of central midfield. He was also consistently able to call the moves ahead of them taking place and accurately predicted where, why and how Lincoln were about to open Derby up.

Anyway, bottom line his take was that whilst Derby controlled the pace the game was played at, Lincoln were exceptionally well drilled and Skubala owned Warne with his tactical set up, was always ahead of him with his in play adaptations which rarely allowed the Rams to do anything meaningful with the ball.

His biggest moan was that Taylor and Draper had played on and fully exposed every weakness in Cashin's game to the extent that the defender had no idea how to combat what they were doing and ended up not knowing where his starting position should be or if/when he should be attacking the ball...and in so doing had knocked a million off his value in one match, "and there's no way Brighton will be signing him after that mauling".

I feel less anxious and more settled about the rest of the season after today; especially after the muddled first hour at Wycombe had raised my concerns.

It didn’t take an expert to see that Cashin (their number 6) looked all at sea today!

Just back home after a really good day. Thought we were nearly great today. Just a deserved goal short. Set up to me was an attacking 4-1-3-2 and we looked a threat all game whilst defending as a team and with aggression. This looked a team with a style and a plan. Mitchell and Jackson immense at the back. Erhahon a clever and solid CDM. Full backs defended well and got forward when they could. Bishop excellent at setting up the play and carrying the ball all game. Praise for Hamilton who was MOM. Aggression, skill and drive. Freddie was great and what we have been missing. A real asset holding the ball up so well to keep us up the pitch. Taylor pace to burn, just needs the composure and will score. I thoroughly enjoyed it. So much better than most of the poor and negative home performances of the past 18 months.
Only downside today our corners. Sorenson and Hamiltons delivery very poor. Give em Teddy.
Really looking forward to next Saturday and haven't said that for quite some time. UTI

Anyone got any footage of that tackle!. Didn't get a good view myself but the reaction from those on the West Bank was quite clear. Also the dive, looked like we were hard done by but then again im very bias.

The one on Erahon? I personally thought it would have been a harsh red…

Anyone got any footage of that tackle!. Didn't get a good view myself but the reaction from those on the West Bank was quite clear. Also the dive, looked like we were hard done by but then again im very bias.
Paul Warne in his post-match interview mentioned both. I thought it was a red and the referee bottled it, just as he bottled giving us a penalty. When the opposition manager is that honest, it is refreshing but also hard not to feel robbed.

Just a word about Josh Vickers. Always a good keeper for us. Very sad to hear about his wife but he seems to be coming back from that and he definitely saved the day for Derby (probably their MoM) - with better composure from Taylor and a different Derby keeper than Josh we could well have won that.
Final thought - can we take Sorensen off corners. He crosses the ball but doesn’t seem to give any real thought about what’s needed or who to pinpoint. A couple of corners were well over-hit. Hopefully Mandriou or Bishop (or Duffy) can deliver better.
We have a problem with Taylor - he’s too fast 😳. The rest of the team can’t get forward quickly enough to support him/give him options, so I guess he’ll have to learn how to finish himself (he will 👍 👏)

On ifollow the foul looked a clear yellow - we would be incandescent if we got another red for that.
Can't tell the 'penalty' -would need a much better camera than ifollow provides to see properly.

Where we were sat I'd have said "red" all day- Erhahon looked injured and their player was rolling like a good un too. After the yellow was issued, both players got up and walked off like they had hardly touched each other- a little bit of gamesmanship from both players. The fact Erhahon didn't need treatment suggest shin to shin (albeit it looked out of control) and not "studs up" tackle down the shin or ankle.

Assumptions as I haven't seen it back!

Where we were sat I'd have said "red" all day- Erhahon looked injured and their player was rolling like a good un too. After the yellow was issued, both players got up and walked off like they had hardly touched each other- a little bit of gamesmanship from both players. The fact Erhahon didn't need treatment suggest shin to shin (albeit it looked out of control) and not "studs up" tackle down the shin or ankle.

Assumptions as I haven't seen it back!
The radio to their credit it said from the GBM stand looked like a red but when they watched it back from another angle they said correct decision

Was pretty close to the challenge and with just one viewing it didn’t look much different to the ones that Mandroiu got a red for to me.
Didn’t have such a good view of the ‘dive’ but there didn’t seem to many protests although something got Taylor booked.
Presume the one cleared of the line was also good although from our angle no way of knowing, and I’m not sure the officials would have known judging by the linesman clattering into the corner flag.

Just a word about Josh Vickers. Always a good keeper for us. Very sad to hear about his wife but he seems to be coming back from that and he definitely saved the day for Derby (probably their MoM) - with better composure from Taylor and a different Derby keeper than Josh we could well have won that.
Final thought - can we take Sorensen off corners. He crosses the ball but doesn’t seem to give any real thought about what’s needed or who to pinpoint. A couple of corners were well over-hit. Hopefully Mandriou or Bishop (or Duffy) can deliver better.
We have a problem with Taylor - he’s too fast 😳. The rest of the team can’t get forward quickly enough to support him/give him options, so I guess he’ll have to learn how to finish himself (he will 👍 👏)
Taylor is an interesting one, was a bit of a curates egg I thought. Can’t remember him touching the ball for first 30 minutes, couple of times when a ball was not played perfectly up to him he didn’t bother attempting to get it. Then it was like someone flipped a switch and he was electrifying.

Best home performance in a long time. A really entertaining 0 0. If this is how Skoobs plans to play I think he will get all the doubters back on side.
I thought the atmosphere was great as well.
Some really good performances today
For a young player Draper has matured massively gave both centre backs a hard time. One of those centre backs has played 457 times in the EFL and won't have been given such a hard time on many occasions before.
Jackson and Mitchell both immense.
Just two moans about things we should really have sorted by now. Our woeful corners and Jensens kicking. Can one of the Coaches please sort it out.

I am envious of you having the input of someone with a deep knowledge and understanding of the game at that level. The TV analysis of games is frustrating as it is often reduced to clichés such as "No commitment" or "didn't track back".
It be interesting to see how Taylor matches up against another highly rated youngster in Ronnie Edwards next week. From what I've seen, Edwards is not overly blessed with pace but I could be wrong.

Excellent game, excellent game plan, well executed, almost nothing for Jensen to save all game and certainly no show stopping saves.

Line up was a 4-4-2 in possession but seemed a 3-5-2 (or a 5-3-2 if you must) out of possession. Clear set up from the off.

Hackett looks like someone who can and will when he has a little more game time. Draper and Taylor up top are the grounding already of a great playing relationship. Hamilton and Erhahon were excellent in the centre and Bishop on the opposite wing to Hackett had a full 90 and his best game for ages.

Sometimes passes went off piste, sometimes corners didn't go where they were needed, sometimes we didn't see the run down the channel. But we tried and we almost succeeded.

Taylor through 1 on 1 three times against the Derby keeper and three times didn't bulge the net.

Hopefully this may even keep a few of the naysayers, who were calling for Skubala to go or that he didn't know how to coach /wasn't good enough to coach, quiet for a while. Judging someone after 10 games with a team ripped apart by absences......

However, after many said, "give us something to sing about and the atmosphere will be back"- today was a really poor home atmosphere (as it has been all season) with a couple of spurts in the second half for about 10 seconds but that was it. Derby by far the best away end in terms of noise all season- didn't really stop.
I tend to find sitting a 4 blocks away from 617 it can seem like it's a bit less noisy then if you are in the library or Stacey West. Hence, I thought Derby were quite loud.

A view from Derby fan in Stacey West reads........."At the end, their fans (Lincoln), who I thought created a great atmosphere with their non stop singing akin to the ultras, would be happier with the signs of improvement than ours with our frustrations. Finally, best pre match food court offering of the season so far, slightly better than the dancing cod at Fleetwood"

Paul Warne in his post-match interview mentioned both. I thought it was a red and the referee bottled it, just as he bottled giving us a penalty. When the opposition manager is that honest, it is refreshing but also hard not to feel robbed.
One if the better opposition managers Jules, as you say refreshing.