Match Thread: Lincoln City v Derby County | Page 9 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Derby County

I am envious of you having the input of someone with a deep knowledge and understanding of the game at that level. The TV analysis of games is frustrating as it is often reduced to clichés such as "No commitment" or "didn't track back".
It be interesting to see how Taylor matches up against another highly rated youngster in Ronnie Edwards next week. From what I've seen, Edwards is not overly blessed with pace but I could be wrong.
He was talking aloud and said, do you want me to shut up bless him. I said 'are you kidding', I'm learning things here I had no idea of. The scary thing was how quickly he could see stuff about to unfold e.g. just because somebody was slightly out of position and what had caused that. Probably helped we were quite high up in the stand and could see the entire pitch.

What it did confirm/affirm for me is that even open play is really just a lot of set pieces, some more complex than others - what I call pattern of play, but it was great to have them deconstructed.

I have never claimed to be a tactical expert, and to be honest I cannot really be bothered with it. I want to see my team playing the kind of football that gets me off my seat, and I had that yesterday regardless of how it was constructed. By far the best I have seen us play this season - including Charlton due to the quality of opposition - and we should have had all three points with room to spare.

Some random thoughts:

Is Mitchell available on a permanent transfer? Has only just turned 22 and has collected just two yellow cards from 23 appearances; for such a combative player, he is remarkably clean.

I have no idea what they have been feeding Draper but we need to order some more. Terrific build for nineteen, he gave Derby a horrible afternoon. Could prove a great pairing with Taylor.

And what a transformation in Taylor! On the edge of everything for half an hour, then electrifying for the rest of the game. Could have scored five, would certainly have a hat-trick on most days. That run from deep was unstoppable. Perhaps he may become available if Luton pull off a miracle and stay up.

He was talking aloud and said, do you want me to shut up bless him. I said 'are you kidding', I'm learning things here I had no idea of. The scary thing was how quickly he could see stuff about to unfold e.g. just because somebody was slightly out of position and what had caused that. Probably helped we were quite high up in the stand and could see the entire pitch.

What it did confirm/affirm for me is that even open play is really just a lot of set pieces, some more complex than others - what I call pattern of play, but it was great to have them deconstructed.
I've watched Brighton at Forest a couple of times and, even at my level of understanding, you could see what you called "patterns of play" in open play. They must spend hours on it.

I have never claimed to be a tactical expert, and to be honest I cannot really be bothered with it. I want to see my team playing the kind of football that gets me off my seat, and I had that yesterday regardless of how it was constructed. By far the best I have seen us play this season - including Charlton due to the quality of opposition - and we should have had all three points with room to spare.

Some random thoughts:

Is Mitchell available on a permanent transfer? Has only just turned 22 and has collected just two yellow cards from 23 appearances; for such a combative player, he is remarkably clean.

I have no idea what they have been feeding Draper but we need to order some more. Terrific build for nineteen, he gave Derby a horrible afternoon. Could prove a great pairing with Taylor.

And what a transformation in Taylor! On the edge of everything for half an hour, then electrifying for the rest of the game. Could have scored five, would certainly have a hat-trick on most days. That run from deep was unstoppable. Perhaps he may become available if Luton pull off a miracle and stay up.

Posh bought him for 5k from non league before selling to Luton for an undisclosed fee. Where Posh are involved it’s usually for a decent profit so I have no idea how much money Luton would want for him. Put away some of those 5 chances from yesterday and his value will no doubt add to his scoring record from Colchester.

Would be a good time for him to start his Lincoln tally next Saturday!

And another random thought: will Mandroiu come into his own, now he has a couple of strikers to aim for?

Quite possibly.

I thought Ted was really good yesterday though, and I can’t see how we’d fit both him and Mandroiu into the team.

I think Danny will start on the bench, and then if we’re chasing the game or if Bishop gets injured/needs a rest, he’ll come into the fold.

He certainly needs to earn his place back, albeit I agree that we may see the best of him now he has two actual strikers to feed.

Last edited:
Presume the one cleared of the line was also good although from our angle no way of knowing, and I’m not sure the officials would have known judging by the linesman clattering into the corner flag.
The fact that the defender was able to use his left foot to clear suggests to me that the ball wasn't over the line.

Presume the one cleared of the line was also good although from our angle no way of knowing, and I’m not sure the officials would have known judging by the linesman clattering into the corner flag.

I'm in the upper Co-op (or GBM if you must) at that end and there was still a good couple of inches between their player, ball and the goal-line. Solid decision

Interesting conundrum with Mandroiu now. Can he play in that right sided role inhabited by Hamilton yesterday, freeing him back into the middle with Erhahon. Mandroiu doesn't have the pace to work as a traditional right winger but when he's on his game he can pick a pass and a cross. Taylor would thrive on some of his through balls, and now he'll have a couple of runners looking for them Mandroiu should be looking for those passes far more often now.

Nice to have a selection headache.

A great result at Wycombe and an even better result at home to another ex Prem side who shouldn't really be in this division with the money and set up they have. That's what makes the result so good. People who don't watch football can't understand how a 0-0 draw can be a good game but yesterday was so entertaining and really could have gone either way for 90 minutes. Great to have Reeco back now and the Derby fans full of praise for Taylor. Yes, he missed a fair few opportunities but hell fire, did he look class scything through their midfield and defence, and will only get better one feels. Onwards and upwards Imps!

Posh bought him for 5k from non league before selling to Luton for an undisclosed fee. Where Posh are involved it’s usually for a decent profit so I have no idea how much money Luton would want for him. Put away some of those 5 chances from yesterday and his value will no doubt add to his scoring record from Colchester.

Would be a good time for him to start his Lincoln tally next Saturday!
The fee was rumoured to be £500k plus add ons, don't think we would stand a chance of getting him.

Taylor only signed for Luton last January so I'd expect a minimum 2 years left on his contract come the summer. No way would we be able to afford him on a permanent deal.

Mr Pearson, or his namesake gets referred to on the Stacey West podcast on a regular basis - didn't realise he was one of them!!