Match Thread: Lincoln City v Derby County | Page 7 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Derby County

Good to see the team take the last 25 minutes at Wycombe into this game. Played on the front foot and it was about as exciting a nil:nil as you are likely to see. Josh Vickers did well to keep us at bay.

Taylor’s pace was electric and he might have had three, Draper held the ball up well and they have the makings of a decent partnership. Those two enabled us to push the midfield forward, open it up and have more time with the ball. Would like to see the replay, but Wilson looked lucky to stay on the pitch.

Defensively we coped pretty well considering their number of corners and set pieces. We are looking better, bring on Posh next weekend.

Good performance against the L1 form team, deserved the point and with more luck/composure could have won it. Taylor was excellent but hopefully training during the week will focus on finishing to make best of that pace and ability to strike a ball on the run. Draper showed physicality, skill and intelligence, let down by a poor referee.

No-one had a bad game, several had excellent ones, though Reeco clearly needs to build up game time. Great to see Bishop last the full game, flitted in and out but had some good moments.

Defence was resilient throughout, the formation would expose O'Connor's weaknesses but would prefer the formation to remain as it leaves us stronger further forward, which means he's on the bench when available again.

Hopefully all good for a repeat next week, with better finishing.

Good performance against the L1 form team, deserved the point and with more luck/composure could have won it. Taylor was excellent but hopefully training during the week will focus on finishing to make best of that pace and ability to strike a ball on the run. Draper showed physicality, skill and intelligence, let down by a poor referee.

No-one had a bad game, several had excellent ones, though Reeco clearly needs to build up game time. Great to see Bishop last the full game, flitted in and out but had some good moments.

Defence was resilient throughout, the formation would expose O'Connor's weaknesses but would prefer the formation to remain as it leaves us stronger further forward, which means he's on the bench when available again.

Hopefully all good for a repeat next week, with better finishing.
There is no way O'Connor should be a gimme for a place. The defence was resolute without him.

That was so much better.

There was a clear identity and a way of playing.

Draper and Taylor have the potential to be an excellent partnership - they’ve only had two weeks together, lest we forget.

On another day, Taylor bags two. But, the fact he even had those chances is such an upgrade on what we’re used to seeing.

I imagine it’ll be the same XI and tactics against Posh next week. Fingers crossed Taylor can put a chance or two away.

No one can walk away from the game feeling short-changed. We did really well against a team who are in the top 3.

A few neutrals were with me for the game and they thought Jackson and Mitchell were immense - hard to disagree!

Yes, I hope they can get some composure into Taylor. He had Draper wide open for a tap in on two of those one-on-one chances. However first home game in front of a big crowd may have unsettled him a little.

We were a bit unlucky with his header from Duffy's cross that Draper wasn't in that position - with his body strength and extra height he would have buried it.

Draper was excellent - we really do need to work on getting crosses into the box for him. Our set pieces were again poor, although from open play a bit better.

Excellent game, and definitely lots to build on. I expect a couple of incomings this week, with Haks and Brown to leave on loan if we can find anyone to take them that is.

Talk about chalk and cheese. A much improved performance, making the sheep botherers look quite ordinary. Freddie held the ball up well and those two runs from deep by Taylor were immense. He was so unlucky today.

Really enjoyed the game today. Against a BIG club. At least that’s what they think. With a bit more composure on finishing we would have been well on the way to a win. Let’s keep the improvement of the last two games going. I am sure it will after we now have a full squad to pick from

Delighted to see Skubala going for it and being positive.

Let’s hope this isn’t a one off, shows we have what it takes to match anyone in this league.

Want us to get through the next match then play with the same intensity against the lower end teams.

Absolutely streets ahead of the performances in the last few months. 4 at the back needs to be the standard from now on. Draper was really good....if he keeps this up I expect bigger clubs to be hovering in the summer.

Back home. Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed that game today despite the blank scoreboard. This was far from some of the 0-0's of last season. This was two competitive teams going for 3 points and both playing some decent stuff. We carry on playing like we did today and we'll pick up far more points than we lose.
Will catch up with the thoughts of others in a bit, but I think we are possibly a wide right sided midfielder away from a very good team based upon what was produced today. That's not to say that Ethan Hamilton who played there today didn't play well. The opposite is the truth. It's just a slight imbalance on that side compared to what Reeco delivers from the left, or will when he is back to full match fitness. We have a Reeco type player in that wide right position and we will cause problems to all opponents.
Couple of words for the two loanees for us today. Mitchell I thought was immense throughout and reminded me of a Regan Poole type of performance putting himself in front of everything and showed some exceptional pace in the first half to cut out a dangerous attack.
Secondly Taylor is the type of player that will get our supporters off their seats. He probably should have scored at least one, specifically the second chance he made for himself in the first half, but all his chances were made by his power and pace. The kind of attacking we have been missing all season. Todays performance has everything bar that net bulger. Those will come and we are such a stronger and more dangerous attacking team with him in it.

Anyway a really enjoyable game to watch and a very decent point gained

Excellent game, excellent game plan, well executed, almost nothing for Jensen to save all game and certainly no show stopping saves.

Line up was a 4-4-2 in possession but seemed a 3-5-2 (or a 5-3-2 if you must) out of possession. Clear set up from the off.

Hackett looks like someone who can and will when he has a little more game time. Draper and Taylor up top are the grounding already of a great playing relationship. Hamilton and Erhahon were excellent in the centre and Bishop on the opposite wing to Hackett had a full 90 and his best game for ages.

Sometimes passes went off piste, sometimes corners didn't go where they were needed, sometimes we didn't see the run down the channel. But we tried and we almost succeeded.

Taylor through 1 on 1 three times against the Derby keeper and three times didn't bulge the net.

Hopefully this may even keep a few of the naysayers, who were calling for Skubala to go or that he didn't know how to coach /wasn't good enough to coach, quiet for a while. Judging someone after 10 games with a team ripped apart by absences......

However, after many said, "give us something to sing about and the atmosphere will be back"- today was a really poor home atmosphere (as it has been all season) with a couple of spurts in the second half for about 10 seconds but that was it. Derby by far the best away end in terms of noise all season- didn't really stop.

Great game today. What we have been missing for months was there to see. A mobile and dangerous strike force. Draper has really benefitt from his loans to Drogheda and Walsall. He was immense and certainly not intimidated by big ugly Derby centre halves. Taylor once he got going was incredibly quick. Could easily have had three today but it wasn’t his day. As a pair they already look good and have still got lots to learn.
Derby were organised, quick and dangerous. Never gave you a chance to hold the ball, but we more than matched them today and deservedly took a point. My mom today? Jacko, but today everyone was great. Not often you come home happy with a 0-0 but this was one. Peterborough next and another huge test.

Really good 0-0, we were well worthy of a draw and if any team deserved a win it was us based on chances.

I think this game demonstrated how poor this league is because Derby didn’t strike me as a team that were flying for promotion. For the most part we defended very well and limited them to mainly long range pot shots. Their defence looked very slow and they were petrified of Taylor’s pace. They did however transition from defence to attack very quickly and controlled the ball well at times.

Mitchell or Jackson were my man of the matches and it’s great to see that a 4 at the back could work. I would love to see us sign the former, captain material?

Draper and Taylor were both fantastic…. What a feeling to have options going forward again. Draper was superb, he is an excellent example of a player that has learned to use his body (hopefully Makama can learn from this). His hold up play was great, a real focal point that we have missed. Taylor started slow but his running and strength were very impressive. He’ll be disappointed not to have scored (he must have had an XG close to 2 by himself), but I don’t doubt he’ll come good. Hackett was also very decent, a proper winger. I do think we need another winger.

Mandriou may find it hard to get back in to the starting line up. I would love to see him in providing for Draper and Taylor, but I can’t see how he fits into a 442 system. He’s not a winger and you can’t really play him in centre mid pairing of 2.

Really positive coming out of that game overall, but, that is now 9 games without a win. The set pieces (the corners in particular) continue to be awful. Although we created good chances we didn’t have a significant period of sustained pressure. Also think we could have targeted their fullbacks a bit more in the second half (both were on yellows).

I really don’t want to take away though from what was a very positive performance and much brighter viewing. Anyone that was even slightly concerned that we would fall in to a relegation battle should relax a bit after that.

Give this team a bit more time to gel and I think we’ll finish the season strong.

Absolutely streets ahead of the performances in the last few months. 4 at the back needs to be the standard from now on. Draper was really good....if he keeps this up I expect bigger clubs to be hovering in the summer.

If he can get close to 10 goals (a big ask I know) we could be quids in.

First, very well done and a big thank you to Liam Scully and his team getting the game on, and both sides giving us a very entertaining game, a great advert for Div 1 footi. Could have gone either way but a point each probably fair.
It seemed a bit strange having a dangerous forward line but I can get used to that ! We had 4/5 really good chances and I am sure Joe Taylor will learn from that next time. His pace had their No 5 on toast, not what the other lot were expecting, he and Draper will be a good pairing with a few more games behind them.
The defence put under loads of pressure as we did theirs at times, stood up really well, special mention to 'you will not get passed me' Jackson, and Mitchell who wound up their supporters really well. Could we sign this guy ? Erhahon was back to his best with 90 minute ! support from Ted Bishop. They all did really well and nobody let the side down in a really entertaining game.
After a run of disappointing results and lack of experienced forward options and lets face it poor entertainment, today showed us what MS is trying to achieve and do not be afraid of Peterborough !!
Same team next week, let the returnees work for their place.
PS Please work on set piece delivery !!!!
UTI.