Match Thread: Lincoln City v Cheltenham Town | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Cheltenham Town

I had spys in the Selenity today. Mile Jedinek was there , presumably watching Ramsey as I see he works for Villa. He left early unsurprisingly (is he the brother of Jacob Ramsey?)
Also some scouty type guys who seemed to be on a WhatsApp group which looked like the Saints but I wondered if might have been Swans?

Yeah he is Jacob's younger brother. Wasn't very good today and deserved his yellow for diving, probably not the best showing!

Seems he is a good influence at the Training Ground and well thought of, maybe reduced terms in some capacity and gain experience to benefit him in the future ?

I guess he wants to carry on player he might go else where but if he retires good call on coaching

We definitely have a lot of potential for next season in this squad, even though it was a real end of season game.

However before MA moans at us for critising Fiorini before Xmas, he needs to accept that his constant selection of Maguire has held us (and Fiorini) back. Look at how quick we have moved the ball the last two games.

I have no doubt MA is terrific at improving players over time - look at the improvement in Poole, Bramall, Fiorini, and (on today's display) Whittaker and Robson.

But his misplaced loyalty to Maguire, who would most likely have played the last two games but for his training injury, is my main concern for next season. We are a much better team without him, as most on this forum have been saying for months.
After agree with your point about Maguire. Mapp has totally bamboozled me with his constant selection whilst dropping others from time to time for poor form. His shithousery was amusing at first then became embarrassing as both opposition and referees had it sussed during every game. He constantly slows play down does a couple of his circular pirouettes with the ball and usually gives the ball back to the opposition. Then has the gall to bollock teammates for making mistakes.
He would be the first out of the door at the end of the season for me.
However I fear Mapp may continue to select him next season .

Well... all those needlessly panicking can stop.
All those calling for MA's head 'before its too late' can pretend they never made such posts.
All those claiming these are the worst loan players we have ever had, can perhaps reappraise that a little.

League 1 footy next season, it was never in any real doubt.
Yes it was!

We definitely have a lot of potential for next season in this squad, even though it was a real end of season game.

However before MA moans at us for critising Fiorini before Xmas, he needs to accept that his constant selection of Maguire has held us (and Fiorini) back. Look at how quick we have moved the ball the last two games.

I have no doubt MA is terrific at improving players over time - look at the improvement in Poole, Bramall, Fiorini, and (on today's display) Whittaker and Robson.

But his misplaced loyalty to Maguire, who would most likely have played the last two games but for his training injury, is my main concern for next season. We are a much better team without him, as most on this forum have been saying for months.

I've been disappointed with Maguire and he's been really poor in the run in in my view but I think this is probably a slight oversimplification of some our issues this season and I think Fiorini has played well recently with him in and out of the team.

Scotimp pointed out the Bridcutt absence, I'd just take that a step further and say the issue goes back (again) to the recruitment, and not building a midfield that has allowed Fiorini to shine. Not having a 6 for most of the season has meant he hasn't had consistent partners and the midfield hasn't been balanced, that's the bigger issue for me.

I was disappointed with Fiorini for the middle stretch of the season; it's good he has shown his ability but you do wonder what could have been if we'd had a settled midfield of say, a holding midfielder + McGrandles or Bishop as one 8 and Fiorini as the other. See the pass by Fiorini to Whittaker today, he could never do that when he was receiving the ball back to goal off the centre halves getting swamped by the press.

Appleton took him out the team for a bit so it's not as if he thought it was all working well either.

Agree about Fiorini. He was my mom today and in the last few games has really looked the part. His pass for Whitaker’s goal was a gem. Needs to bulk up a bit to Make it harder to knock him off the ball. Another season with us should sort him out 😃

Fantastic today.

That first half, especially the first 20 minutes, was scintillating.

My worry with signing Cullen permanently is highlighted in the build-up to Scully’s goal. Okay, he got into the right area, but he should’ve absolutely buried both of his chances. He isn’t a natural finisher, and that could potentially be a problem in terms of us signing him permanently.

To think we had Bishop at right back and House at central midfield - wow, it was just an amazing display.

As for Cheltenham, I wouldn’t judge them too much based on that. They were clearly not arsed. Appleton is known for developing young players, so the fact he was happy to let Chapman go was an indication of what he thought. Having said that, I still couldn’t believe how poor/anonymous Chapman was today.

Nevertheless, you simply can’t relax until you’re mathematically safe, and now we are. I agree with others - play our players for the last two games, not loanees. I’d only play Whittaker on the basis that he’s realistically going to sign permanently next season.

Well done, Michael Appleton.

We should definitely be looking to sign as many of the Cheltenham players as possible. There is no way they will ever get injured playing like that.

Agree about Fiorini. He was my mom today and in the last few games has really looked the part. His pass for Whitaker’s goal was a gem. Needs to bulk up a bit to Make it harder to knock him off the ball. Another season with us should sort him out 😃

Mapp said that he'll be in the Championship next season after the game (adding a bit more fuel to that rumour)

A good result, and nice to see players who could be about next season looking good. We were playing lovely crisp passing football, getting forward and creating chances. Not to get too carried away, just means we are better than Cheltenham.
On a personal note, I've just bought a house in the Lincoln area, coming back after 29 years away. Looking forward to getting down to a lot more games at the Bank next season.
Me too ! Been away for a similar amount of time living and working in the south. Really excited to be coming home. Only got to see two games this season, away at Wimbledon and Charlton. Looking forward to getting to the Bank again.
UTI

Back home. Excellent performance and result although we do have to acknowledge that Cheltenham were not only on the beach but building sandcastles all afternoon. That said we were really good in the first half with some superb quick passing and movement and could have had more than the three we went into the break with. Second half was a bit of a non event but you know I'm fine with that as so very often this season we haven't just killed games early and then let the opponents back in. Not today. Good stuff all round.

So just two games left where we can relax and just enjoy the matches and plan for next season where I'm sure most of us will be looking at the fixture list for the home and away games against Derby County.

MA in his post match interview today said the Ref in the Wigan game was a 'kipper' , is that what I would call crap ?

I was speaking with someone that had a bet on Lincoln winning 3-1,which would have made him £ 80. I imagine the Cheltenham player missing an open goal by hitting the post after rounding Wright, will be off his Christmas card list.

If only we had seen more of today all season!

Jackson, Poole, Whittaker, Fiorini and House all gave superb performances and each could be man of the match which speaks volumes. And none of the others played badly either! Really liked what saw from House, expected a a target man type player when we signed him but he has got quality feet and a fair bit of pace.

Really liked how quickly we moved the ball. For his critics I do personally think Cullen helps here with his pace and movement away from the ball, just a shame he cannot finish!

I've been disappointed with Maguire and he's been really poor in the run in in my view but I think this is probably a slight oversimplification of some our issues this season and I think Fiorini has played well recently with him in and out of the team.

Scotimp pointed out the Bridcutt absence, I'd just take that a step further and say the issue goes back (again) to the recruitment, and not building a midfield that has allowed Fiorini to shine. Not having a 6 for most of the season has meant he hasn't had consistent partners and the midfield hasn't been balanced, that's the bigger issue for me.

I was disappointed with Fiorini for the middle stretch of the season; it's good he has shown his ability but you do wonder what could have been if we'd had a settled midfield of say, a holding midfielder + McGrandles or Bishop as one 8 and Fiorini as the other. See the pass by Fiorini to Whittaker today, he could never do that when he was receiving the ball back to goal off the centre halves getting swamped by the press.

Appleton took him out the team for a bit so it's not as if he thought it was all working well either.

Fiorini has been asked to play left wing, right wing, CDM, etc- pretty much anywhere but where he is best played (due to injuries to other players).

The last 6 weeks have seen him play in his natural role......and guess what, he is a very good quality player.

It was clear to anyone who wanted to look that the issue wasn't Fiorini but the positions he was playing, where he was receiving the ball etc.

He will be a Championship player next season and has the chance to grow into a solid PL player.

The one thing that really pissed me off at full-time was the lack of acknowledgement to our survival in this league.

The block to my right knew it and were chanting about it, but it was like everyone else expected it.

I've been watching Lincoln for 22 years, and this is one hell of an effort to stay at this level.

Learn to appreciate it.

I was speaking with someone that had a bet on Lincoln winning 3-1,which would have made him £ 80. I imagine the Cheltenham player missing an open goal by hitting the post after rounding Wright, will be off his Christmas card list.
Didn’t think he was even as close as the post from my angle !