Match Thread: Lincoln City v Cheltenham Town | Page 12 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Cheltenham Town

First 25 minutes completely blew them out of the water, could have easily have been 5 up and looked like we could score at will. Fiorini pulled the strings from midfield and Mcgrandles did lots of the bitty gritty stuff. Jackson and Poole were excellent through out. Special mention to house as well who looked very comfortable with some excellent close control at times. 2nd half was was like a preseason friendly/training match, neither team too bothered to put in too much effort or risk injury.

Great performance and delighted to confirm our status next season so we can really focus the recruitment.

Up the imps.

Last edited:
2nd half was was like a preseason friendly/training match, neither team too bothered to... risk injury.

Jamie Robson might disgaree (in relation to his Cheltenham counterpart trying to take chunks out of him).

I had spys in the Selenity today. Mile Jedinek was there , presumably watching Ramsey as I see he works for Villa. He left early unsurprisingly (is he the brother of Jacob Ramsey?)
Also some scouty type guys who seemed to be on a WhatsApp group which looked like the Saints but I wondered if might have been Swans?

However before MA moans at us for critising Fiorini before Xmas, he needs to accept that his constant selection of Maguire has held us (and Fiorini) back. Look at how quick we have moved the ball the last two games.
We must not forget either that Bridcutt's constant absence has affected almost every other player on the pitch, especially the midfielders like Bishop, McGrandles and Fiorini who have all been forced to play unfamiliar or compromised roles accordingly. I reckon his absence has cost us 15 points minimum, and possibly more.

Well... all those needlessly panicking can stop.
All those calling for MA's head 'before its too late' can pretend they never made such posts.
All those claiming these are the worst loan players we have ever had, can perhaps reappraise that a little.

League 1 footy next season, it was never in any real doubt.

I think it was I doubt which is why they spent big on January. Good news we are safe but a lot of work to do over the summer I don’t think you can be critical of the loan players I think there as been a general under performance across the board. It’s great that we get to start again and hopefully the recruitment and injuries are more in our favour next season.

a very odd season in that the best was excellent and the worst was pitiful. Let’s hope for more consistency.

I get the feeling with Appletons way of playing it’s shit or bust - he needs to sign the right players and keep them on the field for this to work.

A good day at the office, even if not hugely entertaining after half time but job done and a chance to relax, knowing we're in L1 next term.
Yes, we knew we'd stay up really but today removes that nagging doubt. Well done Imps.:clap::clap::clap:

We must not forget either that Bridcutt's constant absence has affected almost every other player on the pitch, especially the midfielders like Bishop, McGrandles and Fiorini who have all been forced to play unfamiliar or compromised roles accordingly. I reckon his absence has cost us 15 points minimum, and possibly more.

spot on which is why we cannot afford to offer him a new deal. The money needs to go on a central midfielder warrior who plays the full season

spot on which is why we cannot afford to offer him a new deal. The money needs to go on a central midfielder warrior who plays the full season
Seems he is a good influence at the Training Ground and well thought of, maybe reduced terms in some capacity and gain experience to benefit him in the future ?

Seems he is a good influence at the Training Ground and well thought of, maybe reduced terms in some capacity and gain experience to benefit him in the future ?

I"d consider a 3 month contract to prove his fitness. I wouldn't risk a longer one at this stage.

Cheltenham have a few Prem loans ( I actually had forgotten N’Lundulu was technically with them + Soule). The guy up top is on loan from Spurs reminded me of Ellis Remy or Rory May tbh.
Long was okay but Ellis Chapman was anonymous

I agree, but a team should not be affected by the absence of one player so much that everyone has to shuffle around. Moreover, this should have been addressed in January when it was becoming clear that Bridcutt's availability was poor. Perhaps the right player wasn't available.

Ok mea culpe all the way from Coop 1 upper. There are no opera glasses in the front of my seat Scully scored on his first try after Cullen was fannying about.