Match Thread: Lincoln City v Charlton Athletic | Page 15 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Charlton Athletic

Wow. Didn't see that coming after we fell behind and they were looking like a PL team for a while.

What a performance after that to turn it around. We looked like proper TEAM again.

They had more quality tools up front but we had more heart and cojones.

Great football game and great night 👏👏👏
That's entertainment Jay!

It's a well known football saying, but it really is about opinions.
Tom Shaw has decided he wants the same set of players who played appallingly against Burton, to actually play with a bit of intensity and actually take a few shots.
And hey presto it worked.

The shackles came off tonight, and I for one feel good tonight.

Can we have more of what we saw tonight please.

And another thing
Guess what, the crowd got behind the players.

Football is a simple game
it really is

It's a well known football saying, but it really is about opinions.
Tom Shaw has decided he wants the same set of players who played appallingly against Burton, to actually play with a bit of intensity and actually take a few shots.
And hey presto it worked.

The shackles came off tonight, and I for one feel good tonight.

Can we have more of what we saw tonight please.

And another thing
Guess what, the crowd got behind the players.

Football is a simple game
it really is
Surely you mean more of what we Shaw?

Football has a habit of biting you on the backside and proving you wrong- walking down to the ground and discussing the team selection- couldn't see how the team would bolt together... Sorensen on right wing, Roughan LWB again, Adelakun as the main front man......!!

First 15 minutes I was smug that I was right- they came forward in numbers, we looked overwhelmed and a little uncohesive. On 10 mins, attack down the Charlton left, ball into the box that looked all the world a 50/50 for Jensen at worst and more like a 60/40 in his favour- he hesitated, cross came in and Jensen appeared to palm it onto May who chested/thighed it into the net.

Crowd went a little quiet- we'd been here before.

Next 10 mins still looked uncomfortable but we slowly started to get the ball wide and behind them (particularly down the right and Sorensen). Whether it was our endeavour or whether they stepped back 5 yards but from 20 mins we were much more in their half, attempts on goal (Sorensen again had two ripping shots one of which almost cut Roughan in half on their 6 yard line).

33 mins, attack down the right- Sorensen to Burroughs, cross in- superbly controlled by Adelakun, swivel 180 and left foot shot into the back of the net.

Second half carried on where we left off- Adelakun finished off a sumptuous move down the right, cross from Sorensen and 6 yard tap in. 2-1.

Third goal from Roughan on 78 mins after coming in from the left to latch onto a loose ball in their box.

23 attempts on goal, 9 on target.
44% possession

What was different to 10 days ago? Again we moved the ball much quicker through the thirds, we were not afraid to shoot from distance, Sorensen at right wing was a bigger revelation than when he played RWB, looking to go forward more often, no falling out between players

What was the same to 10 days ago? Defensively very strong, not afraid to pass it around the back to keep possession.

Fleetwood first half was good and second half was "resilient" (Ie we hung on with 32% possession)

Today was different- completely different to Fleetwood against a much better team.

Not a bad player on the pitch- Smith showing what he can do given the chance, Hamilton/Erhahon were excellent in the centre midfield and Adelakun I am genuinely pleased for- put a shift in, scored two goals (for the first time in his career) and looked a player.

However if I ever see a better performance on a Lincoln wing than Sorensen tonight then I will be truly blessed. Charlton forum raving about Sorensen- he was a different class to anyone on the pitch tonight. It was a privilege to be there. An engine the size of a juggernaut and a passion and desire to always create- exceptional.

What has Tom Shaw done in a week? He has simply been brave enough to try something and not be worried if it doesn't work, Tactics are very similar to 10 days ago, formation (injuries aside) is no different however team personality and game plan is where he has invested his energy.

Tonight was a good night because we made it a good night.

One thing I noticed in the second half was instructions being received from the stand. Not sure who they were from, but it was really clear at one point.

Might have been Cohen. Hortin mentioned there has been a snag in hiring him and he wasn’t allowed on the touch line.

I don't think I've seen so little passion from on opposition manager/head coach, whatever he wishes to call himself, as I saw from Appleton tonight.
Not from an opposition one but maybe you’ve seen similar from a home one

Well that was a pleasure to watch live in the stadium.

The team were totally unrecognisable from the performance against Burton, just a few short days ago.

Not going to have a go at anybody who criticed the selection before the game because if we were all completely honest I think we all would of had concerns when we saw that lineup.

Thing is those performances just don't happen and to be honest with so little time to work on tactics between games I'm astonished at how much we have changed as a team in just two games and very few training sessions.

The hunger seems to be back. We look well organised, everything is a lot sharper and the handbrake has been released and we are getting forward and making teams worry about us.

Just have to add that I honestly cannot recall such a perfect performance from a City player ,and I've been going over 50 years,as I have seen from Sorrenson tonight.

Live in the stadium you could see every run he made and also his work rate out of possession.

That guy tonight was on a different planet and his fitness and staminer are off the scale.

He was more than a machine and I don't ever recall such a performance from any other player over the years that covered so much ground and was involved in every aspect of the game from the start up until he was subbed.

With that sort of performance Shaw has to be in the running, but it won't be just Shaw it will be Shaw and Cohen. I said this the other day that they are in a live interview/ audition process. No need to rush things though, let these two carry on for now and see how things pan out over the next few weeks but they are showing tactical no how and awareness and have the team motivated, sharp and hungry to work for each other, which is a long way away from the petulance from players, even between each other only a very short time ago and a manager who had no clue how to change anything from the boring negative tactics he was employing.

Just got home and the 184 mile round trip was definitely worth it this evening. What a performance. Best I've seen at the Bank for a long time. More positive football in one game then most of Kennedys tenure.
We were defensively solid as we always can be. However we played attacking football that we rightly should be playing. Fast, ambitious, instinctive and with freedom to express. Mandroiu would have loved to be in this set up. And no excuses needed for not having a striker. 22 shots on goal. Every player put a shift in. We defended from the front. This is what we've been missing and why I for one had called for Kennedy to go. Praise for Tom Shaw too. Excellent tactics. Excellent subs. Excellent motivation. Well done to Adelakun. Two great goals and a damn good performance. And Sorensen take a bow. Top draw. Yes, it's just one game. But potential is there with this squad. We knew it was. But the previous coaching was bleeding it dry and scared witless to have a go. UTI

It’s interesting that under MK the team played risk averse football. He seemed to be too scared of losing possession in the front third and consequently conceding. He seems to have put far too much emphasis on the strength of the defensive side of the team. He also seems to have put too much emphasis on the striker injury situation. Interesting because it has been TS that was the ‘Out of Possession’ coach. Yet TS has come in and really taken the shackles off the team and encouraged them to have a go, or simply re-instilled the belief that they are a good team and good players and he believes in them. Think we can now see why some of the players were so frustrated and vented their feelings openly. Be very interesting to see where this all goes over the next two or three weeks.

Being on my hols, couldn’t go tonight. Sounds like the performance we’ve all been waiting for. We were certainly not a bad team overnight and wasn’t in the MK out brigade, but, a fresh look at things and a new mindset has been incredible with effectively the same players available. This positivity is also reflected on this site and Facebook etc. Of course, it also brings a whole new set of questions into the new manager debate. Looking forward to seeing the goals when they come up on the Imps site and really looking forward to Saturday now. 9th in the table and two points off the play-offs. Who’d have thought that a week ago? UTI 👊💥👏