Match Thread: Lincoln City v Charlton Athletic | Page 17 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Charlton Athletic

Haven’t caught up on the thread yet so apologies if I repeat what’s already been said.

But what an excellent game of football that was. I was mightily impressed with how the lads reacted after going 1-0 down.

We had a spell for 10 minutes where I think the players started to realise that Charlton just weren’t that good and we could hurt them.

Hakeeb’s first goal was absolutely brilliant. Wonderful first touch and a great finish. Roughan made his goal look easier than what it was, too.

No idea what Sorensen had for breakfast, but I haven’t seen an individual performance like that in a long, long time.

Do the last 2 games throw Shaw’s hat into the ring? Well, they certainly haven’t harmed his chances.

Thought the atmosphere was superb in the second half.

I watched the game on iFollow last night and the biggest thing that struck me (as others have said) is how much the players seem to want to play for Shaw, that wasn't the case for MK particularly toward the end. I think that showed itself in the amount of duels/second balls we won for example, very important however you want to play imo.

Interestingly, Appleton picked up on this in his post match interview (it's on the Charlton website, free to watch.) Appleton was a little backhanded in his comments though - 'a really physical side like Lincoln.' etc. While we certainly won second balls, tackled well etc I didn't think we were THAT physical!

Finally, as good as Sorenson was, I thought it was a really strong performance from all the team tbh, no weak link.

Not totally sure how this unfolded last night But it’s as I saw it

We were under the cosh a bit for the first 15/20 or so minutes and Tom Shaw kept looking up to the seats in the middle of the Selenity and plenty of messages seemed to be exchanged. We stepped the pace up and played with the passion we all wfinessed and hoped for from City team and the rest is history. Anyone know if Chris Cohen was in the stand as I didn’t pick him out on the bench but someone appeared to have an impact from up in the stand.
100% credit to the management team that was way and above the best game I have enjoyed for 2 years and that includes the cup games we have played well in.
I can’t remember a squad of players changing the outlook of a club with their displays in such a short time and Lasse Sorensen and Hakeeb Adelakun what can you say, simply outstanding. It will be a pleasure doing the players ratings after that display.

We were under the cosh a bit for the first 15/20 or so minutes and Tom Shaw kept looking up to the seats in the middle of the Selenity and plenty of messages seemed to be exchanged. We stepped the pace up and played with the passion we all wfinessed and hoped for from City team and the rest is history. Anyone know if Chris Cohen was in the stand as I didn’t pick him out on the bench but someone appeared to have an impact from up in the stand.
100% credit to the management team that was way and above the best game I have enjoyed for 2 years and that includes the cup games we have played well in.
I can’t remember a squad of players changing the outlook of a club with their displays in such a short time and Lasse Sorensen and Hakeeb Adelakun what can you say, simply outstanding. It will be a pleasure doing the players ratings after that display.

Hone said he had seen him about on the radio

I am bemused by the apparent consensus that Charlton dominated the first quarter. At the game I attended, we were competing well in an even game of good quality football, went behind to a goal that came out of the blue, continued competing, took control of the midfield, scored a wonderful goal that everyone knew was coming then dominated until we scored the third, after which we consolidated.

Last night was a timely reminder of why we renew our season tickets. Just a great night.

The goals!!!

What a finish for the first.
Our second was the team goal of the season, beautiful defence splitting ball by Burroughs and a delicious cross from Lasse for a tap in to finish off a move that probably every player in the team made a pass within.
The 3rd a cool finish from Sean to put the game away.
All from open play and all great goals.

Yes, Cohen was in the SRP stand. Seems there is some minor legalities to sort out before he can join TS on the bench.

Sorensen was in a different class and surely put himself in the Championship shop window. Even Charlton fans are saying how unplayable he was. Could be a difficult January ahead for us.

Mitchell was superb again, we need to try to get him permanently; a big sale in the future for someone. Burroughs too, although he needs to convert one of his many opportunities at some point; linked superbly with Sorensen for the first goal.

Perhaps Adelakun is a centre forward after all.

The only negative was Jensen not coming to collect the through ball, he could have dropped his hat on it. Seemed to misjudge the pace of the ball.

And how gung-ho were Charlton? I can understand them wanting to replicate their home form away from home, but that was a masterclass in how to leave yourselves totally exposed if you lose the ball. Their two in midfield were simply overwhelmed after the first quarter of an hour, and I was surprised that Appleton did nothing to bolster that area - it was blatantly obvious that Lincoln were simply running through them at will. It even establishes a template in how to play against Charlton, and it will be interesting to see how their game against Bolton pans out on Saturday.

An interesting point from Gary's article. That's a huge difference in recoveries considering after the Burton game we were the second lowest in the leagues for duel wins and challenge intensity.

"Of course, we gave the ball away a bit – in fact, we had 113 losses, the same as the Burton game. The difference? 104 recoveries compared to just 73. The numbers show there was an edge, there, a desire, a willingness to fight.

People will say we passed forward more – we didn’t. Against Burton, we made 152 forward passes, 140 last night. We made 62 passes into the final third against the Brewers, but just 61 last night. We made 68 progressive passes last night compared to 66 against Burton. It wasn’t as if we did a lot differently – we just did it better. We made space, we exploited space, and we created chances."

An interesting point from Gary's article. That's a huge difference in recoveries considering after the Burton game we were the second lowest in the leagues for duel wins and challenge intensity.

"Of course, we gave the ball away a bit – in fact, we had 113 losses, the same as the Burton game. The difference? 104 recoveries compared to just 73. The numbers show there was an edge, there, a desire, a willingness to fight.

People will say we passed forward more – we didn’t. Against Burton, we made 152 forward passes, 140 last night. We made 62 passes into the final third against the Brewers, but just 61 last night. We made 68 progressive passes last night compared to 66 against Burton. It wasn’t as if we did a lot differently – we just did it better. We made space, we exploited space, and we created chances."
Proof that you have to see the game, in order to interpret the stats.

I'm not totally sure what to make of some of the stats there. I think context of opposition is very important and so is proportion of passes (I'm guessing the proportion of forward passes was higher v Charlton than Burton, even if the raw number is slightly lower, because there was less going back and square across the defensive line).

I'd also looked at passes in our half v their half last night and I think pretty relevant (i.e., the stats aren't just the same but we were better on the eye). I thought it was noticeable that we played in more dangerous areas:

v Burton - 245 passes in our own half, 154 in the oppositions (39% in the opposition half)

v Charlton 128 passes in our own half, 168 in their half (57% in their half)*

Of course the game as a whole is context, Burton sitting in with loads of players back versus an aggressive Charlton front 4 and occasionally slightly AWOL midfield. But I don't think the stats show the pattern of the game was the same or that we just did the same thing but better, was quite a different pattern against different opposition even if a few raw numbers are similar.

*(Conscious I will have less good stats sources than the paid for stuff... this from fotmob)

Remembered overnight another little moment I enjoyed. When Paudie delivered a crunching tackle on one of their players who probably bottled it. Paudie gave a little leap almost like he’d scored. He then went up to Haks and went nose to nose giving him some ‘advice’ for the ensuing corner.

What about the back heal from Erhahon second half to get him out of a tight spot.....sublime.

Not sure how much you can read into those numbers to be honest. Charlton and Burton were completely different entities: Burton were typically dogged and determined, Charlton were lackadaisical and almost afraid to tackle - evidence Adelakun's second goal, which could have been prevented twenty seconds before the ball entered the net if they had bothered to challenge for it.

I have to say, I get a bit tired of this constant statistical over-analysis of the game. Sky Sports are the masters at detailed but meaningless statistics, and I can't be bothered with it. Modern football seems predicated on it - possibly generated by the influx of coaches from Europe - but can anyone tell me that football is any better to watch than it was in the days of The Big Match Revisited?

Being on my hols, couldn’t go tonight. Sounds like the performance we’ve all been waiting for. We were certainly not a bad team overnight and wasn’t in the MK out brigade, but, a fresh look at things and a new mindset has been incredible with effectively the same players available. This positivity is also reflected on this site and Facebook etc. Of course, it also brings a whole new set of questions into the new manager debate. Looking forward to seeing the goals when they come up on the Imps site and really looking forward to Saturday now. 9th in the table and two points off the play-offs. Who’d have thought that a week ago? UTI 👊💥👏
Me too. Let's hope we don't return to more reverse gear football!!

Great watch and performance. Unfortunately, the lowest (imps fans in attendance) (not total attendance) in the League since FGR/Bromley at the end of National League season 2017. Not been under 7000 since then. Hopefully a new style will get some people back in.