Match Thread: Lincoln City v Charlton Athletic | Page 18 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Charlton Athletic

Great watch and performance. Unfortunately, the lowest (imps fans in attendance) (not total attendance) in the League since FGR/Bromley at the end of National League season 2017. Not been under 7000 since then. Hopefully a new style will get some people back in.
I think its been said approx 20% of season ticket holders live at least 50 miles from SB and on a wet October night it was mainly those who were missing last night maybe. That includes me, a 90 mile journey each way, not home until post midnight , Saturday games are more realistic.

Not sure how much you can read into those numbers to be honest. Charlton and Burton were completely different entities: Burton were typically dogged and determined, Charlton were lackadaisical and almost afraid to tackle - evidence Adelakun's second goal, which could have been prevented twenty seconds before the ball entered the net if they had bothered to challenge for it.

I have to say, I get a bit tired of this constant statistical over-analysis of the game. Sky Sports are the masters at detailed but meaningless statistics, and I can't be bothered with it. Modern football seems predicated on it - possibly generated by the influx of coaches from Europe - but can anyone tell me that football is any better to watch than it was in the days of The Big Match Revisited?

There are quite a few on here that claim that football today is light years ahead of the standard in the 70s and 80s, let alone the 60s and before.
Totally subjective impossible to prove one way or another and at the end of the day misses the point, is it better to watch?
Anyone who disagrees with this - You don't know man, you weren't there.
For what it's worth, I also think the same applies to Formula 1 and Rugby Union.
Re-watching the whole of the 1970 world cup final might help to debunk the myth that contemporary football is superior.

Last edited:
I've spoke to quite a few people today who were at the game last night.
The general consensus is that we saw the most entertaining game at the Bank for sometime.

I've also been on YouTube listening to Charlton fans, and they knew they were in for a game last night, but they thought they had turned a corner with their terrible away form this season.
I think what we saw last night was a much improved City team playing a still very fragile away performance from charlton.
Infact Charlton have the 22nd worst away form in the league.
Our boys will have tougher opponents to play as we approach the end of the year, but I wouldn't be surprised now to see us hovering around the play off spots by the time we reach the New year.

It's early days and it's only 2 back to back wins but the whole club felt like it had been re-energised last night
Let's hope we can keep it up

Great watch and performance. Unfortunately, the lowest (imps fans in attendance) (not total attendance) in the League since FGR/Bromley at the end of National League season 2017. Not been under 7000 since then. Hopefully a new style will get some people back in.
Not sure that's right Domski (no home end under 7k since 2017)- certainly last season we played MK at home and only just squeaked over 7k with 7056 but 186 away so home end was definitely below 7,000- interestingly another mid week game- in fact our two lowest attendances overall last season were mid week (MK and Accrington)

I didn't realise Charlton's away record in all competitions this season is so bad:
P7 W0 D2 L5 F7 A14

They are never going to trouble the leader board if they don't solve that.

I don't normally comment on games I don't witness first hand. Couldn't make it last night as out the country and couldn't follow on any stream.

Even before the brace from Haks last night I was really pleased he was getting games. I appreciate there is a thread dedicated to Lasse, but really pleased for Haks in terms of the lived experience whilst contracted to City, loans away etc. It's a very well done from me, really pleased for Haks.

Finally, what a couple of refreshing post match interviews with TS.

Note: highlights watched only

Not sure that's right Domski (no home end under 7k since 2017)- certainly last season we played MK at home and only just squeaked over 7k with 7056 but 186 away so home end was definitely below 7,000- interestingly another mid week game- in fact our two lowest attendances overall last season were mid week (MK and Accrington)
Agreed, mid weeks have been renowned for low attendance. 1800 anyone

I have consulted my notes and you are correct.

Just catching up after getting home today at about 6pm after my first home game of the season. I haven’t even looked at a match report yet let alone read through anything on here, but here’s my initial thoughts. The photo below is the view from my hotel that greeted me this morning.

After seeing the floods around Newark and when it began pouring with rain at about three o'clock I was getting worried, but it obviously turned out OK despite the level of water in the Sincil Drain and sight of the sandbags in place going down Sewell's Walk - something I only ever remember once before.

Another concern was seeing the team sheet and trying to work out who would be playing where.

Charlton caused us some problems in the first 15-20 minutes, especially the wide man on their left who had the beating of Burroughs, and we didn’t look great with some misplaced passes. But after taking the lead they either eased off or we raised our game with Sorensen looking determined to score which lifted everyone.

The goal was great work by Adelakun who was the best player in the first half. It was a fair scoreline at half time and Charlton looked a good side, but we more than matched them in the second half showing a lot of determination and Sorensen always a threat. An excellent win and certainly the best home game I’ve seen since I ‘returned to the fold’ six years ago.

Interesting or significant that our best player on the night and both scorers were three players who Michael Appleton introduced to the side? (But I expect that’s been picked up on by others).

Finally:

Who needs strikers anyway?

Who needs Teddy Bishop anyway?

Who needs a cathedral anyway?

103_0409.JPG

I am bemused by the apparent consensus that Charlton dominated the first quarter. At the game I attended, we were competing well in an even game of good quality football, went behind to a goal that came out of the blue, continued competing, took control of the midfield, scored a wonderful goal that everyone knew was coming then dominated until we scored the third, after which we consolidated.

Last night was a timely reminder of why we renew our season tickets. Just a great night.
Completely agree. I thought the only thing missing from the first quarter of the game was a decent performance from Adelakun as he kept giving it away. Fortunately after that he was pure class.

Having now seen the full match replay, those first 20 minutes or so was about finding a rhythm, which they hit in building pressure through Haks' set-pieces and Lasse's shooting from the edge of the box. Once we equalised you could see the growing confidence.

Too often that rhythm can get disrupted by the break but the football they played in the first 15-20 minutes of the second half was as good as any played in the play-off season. All without our 2 most creative players and 3 main forwards.

There are quite a few on here that claim that football today is light years ahead of the standard in the 70s and 80s, let alone the 60s and before.
Totally subjective impossible to prove one way or another and at the end of the day misses the point, is it better to watch?
Anyone who disagrees with this - You don't know man, you weren't there.
For what it's worth, I also think the same applies to Formula 1 and Rugby Union.
Re-watching the whole of the 1970 world cup final might help to debunk the myth that contemporary football is superior.

If you are talking about the English football leagues - then it objectively is superior today simply because of all the world class talent that dominate the top leagues. This filters down the divisions too - so in the 60s the 30th best english CB would comfortably be in the old first division - today the championship is probably as high as they can play.
For this reason Id argue the Lincoln city teams and level of competition in the last 4 seasons is probably the strongest in its history.

Internationally is a different argument- but again it's very likely it is superior today- as football is played by more people with a global scouting system that can find more talent..... and, err.. did you see the 2022 WC final?

Last edited:
I think its been said approx 20% of season ticket holders live at least 50 miles from SB and on a wet October night it was mainly those who were missing last night maybe. That includes me, a 90 mile journey each way, not home until post midnight , Saturday games are more realistic.
And me, no chance of making Tuesday nights I'm afraid...

When looking at attendances perhaps we should look at midweek games separately from Saturday matches. Also leave cup matches out of the equation.
League matches are nearly always going to attract less fans midweek than at weekends for many of the reasons already mentioned on here.