Match Thread: Lincoln City v AFC Wimbledon | Page 17 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v AFC Wimbledon

As bad as tonight's performance was, it probably falls in the category of typifying where we are at and can expect to be all given, i.e. inconsistent.

As we can see what the problems are, I'm quite sure MA and the other professional football people at the club are more than aware and working hard to react over the next couple of transfer windows within our resources and also on the training pitch.

However some things do remain out of our control including the market created by budgets at other clubs and imo injuries to players.

The players deserve constructive criticism tonight but I don't see how plunging highs and lows from individual fans will help on a game by game basis. Patience and realistic expectations over a 46 game league season before setting conclusions in stone are more appropriate.

It's not that I'm happy tonight, I'm most certainly not, with a ton of work to be done - but I won't be reading too much into set backs at this stage.
Agree. But a lot of it is down to doing the basics well - and we’re struggling even with that. Confidence is king, so we need to install some of that pronto.

Bang on the nail I was thinking that walking away tonight
Saturday was a breather however we face a long couple of months till reinforcements arrive
Hopefully there’s a few more Charlton’s coming over the hill and not any more Rotherham type’s
Well Wimbledon hadn’t won in 5… but I hope we get Doncaster and Crewe at the right time. (After an international break, not a Tuesday night, and before they pick up form).

It was just a poor night all around. Firstly it was never a penalty and the official was so incompetent from the word go, he added to our woes. He made Saturdays ref look like Collina.

Nevertheless we cannot cope with pressing sides, Wimbledon were no frills just worked harder. That said we are really lacking in the final third, at times we genuinely have no creativity to hurt the opposition. As the home time on several occasions already this season, that is disappointing.

January has to be the aim and the recruitment will be more difficult, but I have said previously hopefully lessons have been learnt. We don’t want to sign players for the sake of it, but we have left ourselves short with no alternatives.

Disappointing after Saturday, but we just don’t seem fit enough for Saturday Tuesday.

"We cannot coped with pressing sides- the stats don't support that. We coped very very well. Wimbledon had one attempt on goal in the entire game.
We defended solidly and hardly looked troubled in midfield- albeit it wasn't particularly pretty to watch.

Our final third tonight was almost as bad as first half at Oxford- that is where we lost tonight. Nowhere else- we were solid (post first 5 mins), strong and in control. They never looked like getting anywhere near our goal after the first five mins.

But we never looked like scoring either.

"Yes, January will be a real test of our ability to recruit. The season will hinge on it. "

But we have just come off a summer when we have spent more money on players than the club ever has. So I don't fully understand why MA is so clearly desperate for January.

We are heading towards a bit of a mess in my view, where MA will internally blame Jez George for the signings under-performing, and JG will blame MA for not getting the best out of them.

"We cannot coped with pressing sides- the stats don't support that. We coped very very well. Wimbledon had one attempt on goal in the entire game.
We defended solidly and hardly looked troubled in midfield- albeit it wasn't particularly pretty to watch.

Our final third tonight was almost as bad as first half at Oxford- that is where we lost tonight. Nowhere else- we were solid (post first 5 mins), strong and in control. They never looked like getting anywhere near our goal after the first five mins.

that is absolute garbage, they looked like scoring every time they went forward or put a ball in the box in the first half. We couldn’t string two passes together apart from the occasional cross field from monstma.

Tell me, is it skunk or lsd that make you hallucinate ffs.

that is absolute garbage, they looked like scoring every time they went forward or put a ball in the box in the first half. We couldn’t string two passes together apart from the occasional cross field from monstma.

We had more attempts on goal than they did, more attempts on target (by 4 to 1) than they did.....and we were dire up front. They had nothing but chased and pressed. We controlled the first and second thirds comfortably but had absolutely nothing in the final third.

Simple really.

My first live match since Wycombe away in Cowley’s last game.

Think we all know what the issue is - no striker. The number of times we looked to the box and no one was there was very disappointing. Needed Scully and Bishop’s runs to be more angled to attack their box when Maguire does drop deep.

The other issue today, referee and linesmen were terrible. Very difficult to beat 14 men. Was glad to see the bookings in the 1st half for time wasting but then stopped in the 2nd half when it got worse? Makes no sense to me. Think 6 players were repeat offenders (Also a miracle how Fiorini was not sent off. He may have been fouled seconds before but he was studs up and off his feet and it was a shocking challenge.)

Shout out to their fans who seemed fantastic and supported their team very well.

We had more attempts on goal than they did, more attempts on target (by 4 to 1) than they did.....and we were dire up front. They had nothing but chased and pressed. We controlled the first and second thirds comfortably but had absolutely nothing in the final third.

Simple really.
Simple just about sums it up.

According to a previous post, he is fegged.
Great. So we've got a game and a half out of him. Can someone remind me why the fuck we gave him a contract last year? Not like the warning signs weren't there, and he was contracted til next summer anyway.
The deal Walsh signed when he joined the club from MK Dons last summer was not due to expire until 2022.

But given the centre-back’s form this season – in between the injuries which have restricted him to 19 appearances – Appleton was keen to tie the 28-year-old to a new deal.

""We cannot coped with pressing sides- the stats don't support that. "

I certainly disagree on that. AFC should have scored three of four times in the first half through pressing high and putting our back four under pressure. It also made us play long diagonal balls from the back instead of building through midfield.
The long crossfield ball used to be called the long ball over the top
How times have changed

Not at all confident going into the FA Cup game that is for sure. Devoid of ideas tonight, off the pace and a lot of the time making unforced errors.

I cannnot understand why we recruit players for them to sit on the bench or in the stands and these would appear to be fully fit and not injured. Perhaps that money could have been more wisely spent on players who can effect games on the pitch.

Nuff said - a nothing burger.