Match Thread: Lincoln City Exeter City | Page 11 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City Exeter City

I appreciate the position at Peterborough but they don't have Hortin on their local radio. Like I said, from comments on here, I'm sure that fans would be prepared to pay a nominal fee of say a couple of pounds to get a more professional commentary.

I don't agree with your comment about older people not having the internet, there may be a handful, but it won't be many.

Just because it didn't work in the past doesn't mean, that with a more professionally run club, it won't work this time around.

If the BBC pay for the rights, then the club should have an input in the commentary team. If not, then don't renew the rights agreement when it next comes up.
People out of range of Radio Lincolnshire are already paying 45 quid a season, so essentially a quid a game...

Re Hortin & BBC Lincs radio coverage, I wonder if this is something that the new Director of Innovation and Growth could look at.

The club could bypass BBC Lincs and do their own match broadcasting, interviews etc. (if you can't change the people, change the people). It doesn't cost much to set up a radio channel and the club could possibly team up with the media department of the Uni of Lincoln.

I'm sure that students looking to get into sports media would be thrilled to get the opportunity to commentate on the matches and do interviews. Maybe even get Mark Hone on board as the main commentator.

I'm sure that fans would happily pay a small fee to not hear Hortin, and the club could also make additional revenue from advertising, monies lost from the matchday programme perhaps.

Over to you Clive, Liam, Jez & Co.
You would be wrong. I might pay not to listen to some of your alternatives........

Very much a matter of personal taste.

I think the coverage from Radio Lincolnshire is good.

I listen to the "away" commentary sometimes but for my taste, it's not as good.

Unfortunately Hortin will never change. I am sure he never reads this board and would not even read or acknowledge any emails sent to BBC Radio Lincs about his shortcomings.

He clearly thinks he is a "character" and has his own style, which he thinks listeners like.

Our only hope is for him to make an accidental minor comment, as Thommo did, that is misconstrued by the PC brigade and results in his sacking.

If you don't live in range of Radio Lincolnshire, it is already paywalled...
On my way back to Norfolk, Sutton Bridge is the cut off point for radio Lincs, it then falls off the edge of civilisation. What does annoy me more though, post match, back in the car, like last Saturday, 17.10 a report on the earlier beep Liverpool game interviewing their Manager for a good five minutes, then bloody music !! Why cannot Radio Lincs fill that full hour from 5 o'clock will local footi or local sport. It needs re thinking and get rid of Premiership Reports which is available anyway if thats what you want on Radio 5 Live. Makepeace should take over anyway, at least he knows what day of the week it is, who the opposition players are and our own !!
UTI.

You would be wrong. I might pay not to listen to some of your alternatives........

Very much a matter of personal taste.

I think the coverage from Radio Lincolnshire is good.

I listen to the "away" commentary sometimes but for my taste, it's not as good.
I had "away" commentary for a game a while back. Turned out it was just crowd noise! Still preferable to Hortin and/or Gordon, both can be a very difficult listen.
Each to their own and all that, but I imagine you will be in a pretty small minority with your preference.

Peterborough have gone along that route and charge people. Fans are not happy.
I hadn't realised this at the time of my original post, but having looked into it further they do provide the service on Posh+ and, following fans backlash, charge approx £45 per annum - which I don't think many fans would begrudge for a better quality service. They also provide commentary on their local Community Radio FM station for free.

Lincoln also has a Community Radio station so perhaps the club could talk to them about doing something similar.

Peterborough has shown that there is a 'work around' option out there.

It has also been pointed out that many fans, further afield do pay, so the Paywall argument doesn't hold up - especially if the club can offer the free service on local community radio.

All I'm suggesting is a better quality alternative to the banal utterings of Hortin.

Teaming up with the University would also be a further strengthening of the relationship that the club has with it.

Chimimp, can you please enlighten me on which of these alternatives you might pay not to listen to.

From reading the matchday threads of every game that Hortin commentates on, I think that you will find yourself in a very small minority, possibly of one.

Kevin Morley and John vickers were involved with club's commentary team too.
When I was a student 25 odd years ago I have a subscription to something can’t remember what it was called but I was those 2 in a way it was entertaining because they had such contrasting styles but it worked well apart from the times one one of them would kick out the cable. I used to sit in the computer rooms listening to it and using the universities free internet

They'd be absolute uproar if the Club took commentary behind a paywall.
I imagine there are a lot of casual followers who listen in on FM locally. Edit - seems there could be a workaround to that as well.

Hortin just seems incredibly lazy and ill-prepared to me, always has. Like he turns up with a vague idea of who we are playing and that's about it. Just a bit unprofessional not to know any of the opposition players and refer to them by their shirt numbers at best.

I live in Lincoln but only have a FM radio in the car so can no longer listen to match commentary unless I pay ifollow, not bothered really as I always found Hortin a difficult listen.

They used to do that, and it was dreadful. To be fair it was in the dark days of sitting in the bottom middle of non-league so there weren't actually that many listening. Chris Ashton, Alan Long and (I think?) Rob Makepeace used to do it. Apart from the sound cutting out every time Lincoln scored for about 30 seconds there were also Mr Ashton's witterings. My good lady used to potter into the room every time it was on and say "has he mentioned the biscuits or onion bags yet?".

It was perfectly reflective of our club at the time though, shambolic, well intentioned but terrible and very much sub-local radio. Radio Lincolnshire got the gig because they recognised that they needed something at least a bit more polished I think after our first season under the Cowleys.

Despite my frustrations of it, I understood I was kind of lucky to have it as an exile and appreciated that it was probably only being done because of Chris and Alan's deep love and total support for the club. Once we had to pay for it though all bets were off, I was being asked to sub them for the commentary and I therefore immediately switched to demanding a lot more from them in terms of quality.

A single quote from Mr Ashton would suffice to give you a flavour. When commentating on a Lincoln goal his analysis of it was: "It was bad goalkeepering that was.."

"Gerrit in the mixer," was my personal favourite.
Good old Chris.

I live in Lincoln but only have a FM radio in the car so can no longer listen to match commentary unless I pay ifollow, not bothered really as I always found Hortin a difficult listen.

Then when in range of Radio Lincolnshire you can listen to the match commentary for free in the car, or at home on a DAB or FM radio.

On my way back to Norfolk, Sutton Bridge is the cut off point for radio Lincs, it then falls off the edge of civilisation. What does annoy me more though, post match, back in the car, like last Saturday, 17.10 a report on the earlier beep Liverpool game interviewing their Manager for a good five minutes, then bloody music !! Why cannot Radio Lincs fill that full hour from 5 o'clock will local footi or local sport. It needs re thinking and get rid of Premiership Reports which is available anyway if thats what you want on Radio 5 Live. Makepeace should take over anyway, at least he knows what day of the week it is, who the opposition players are and our own !!
UTI.
I agree, give the classified results but I don't give a stuff on hearing from PL managers from around the country. Much rather it was like most local stations I've ever heard where the post match hour is a fan phone in - "reaction to the action" only broken up by local sport reports and relevant interviews. Anything else you can listen to 5 live.
It also frustrates me that they play music at half time, surely they have enough about them to be able to break down what they have just been watching,