Match Thread: Lincoln City Exeter City | Page 10 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City Exeter City

Re Teddy, it could be argued that such an anti football, boring negative manager like MK could never find a way to get the best out of any footballer with individual skill. I guess their views on how the game should be played were polar opposites.
Agreed on Bishop. I don’t think we’ve ever got the best out of him consistently.

Re Teddy, it could be argued that such an anti football, boring negative manager like MK could never find a way to get the best out of any footballer with individual skill. I guess their views on how the game should be played were polar opposites.
It could be argued....

...but Bishop played for Appleton in his first season.... the Maguire, Nlundulu season.

Right back mostly!

To me it's about the quality of the rest of the team. He needs enough good players around him to get the best from his undoubted strengths and cope with his relative defensive weaknesses.

This is the best squad we have had in Bishop's time here...and he is playing his best football since arriving...probably not a coincidence.

Unless Jimmy Walker or Mark Hone are on air I can’t listen to Horton and Gordon.
I think the time has come for Radio Lincs to employ a proper commentator - everything else about the club has become much more professional but Hortin is stuck way back in the well meaning amateur days

Caldwell forewarned us in his pre-match interview: 'we've found a way away from home to be really hard to play against'. It was hardly going to be an open game of football.

My personal opinion is that I'd like to see Makepeace as the No 1 commentator alongside mainly Hone and sometimes Jimmy Walker.

Makepeace does his research and knows both teams players and does a decent job.

Hone and Walker can sometimes drone on a bit but in the main I think they do a good job.

You can't have a commentator that doesn't commentate on the game but spends most of his time waffling about anything but the match and hasn't got a clue about the opposition team and never mentions any of their players never mind our own in commentary.

I don't know why Hortin has this type of style because if he did the job properly I think that he could be fairly good at it.

Wouldn't have Gavin Gordon at any cost though. Every word he says seems to have a full stop after it. I have finished what he is trying to say in my head two minutes before he has.

Either Hortin needs to step his game up or he needs replacing to bring a much more professional attitude to the commentary team.

Last edited:
For me, both sides were poor in the first half. Don't think they cancelled each other, they just couldn't pass the ball to each other consistently.
Second half, both got a bit more rhythm and looked more evenly matched. The result being a much better watch than the previous 45 minutes.
Come sit with me at the next home game to hear the ultimate in opinion turnarounds. Right up to the goal, for a fella near us, virtually every Lincoln player was shit, hadn't done a lot, should be shipped on loan, returned to their club etc (all of this is a weekly thing). Taylor in particular has been getting it for a few games. Low and behold he scores. Not a bad lad, you can't expect him to score if the shit behind him don't make chances for him🤣 He's considering not renewing, I'll take 0-0 every game to May for this to happen. I suspect I'm not in the minority amongst those in the area!
Yes, I think the club are missing a trick with seat swaps.

I can think of one or two I would happily nominate for a move to a "better" seat.

Again our defensive stature is second to none, we must be in the top 5 with clean sheets once again. It is a fine line sacrificing this element to become more expansive and score more goals.

The current defensive setup apart from Jackson will struggle to play through the thirds in my opinion. Add Montsma into the equation and things look differently from that aspect. Skubala has always said evolution over revolution and I think that is what we as are seeing from a playing perspective, but the evolution is picking up points which is a real positive.

We are a typical 10-14th side in my opinion which is nothing to be sniffed at, especially at League 1 level. To become a top 7 side is a different proposition, it will require more goals and the ability to open up all types of sides. I don’t think we are miles away, 3 or 4 quality additions in the summer and we could have a right go.

There is also a touch of disappointment this season that it feels like the greatest chance to challenge the play off since the covid season has bypassed us.
Joint 3rd best defence from what I can see

Re Hortin, he seems to spend most of the game looking at everything but the game. How many times have we heard him say to his co-commentator ‘didn’t see that - I was looking at my notes’. How many times have we heard him corrected by his co-commentator on various things. We have all said for years now that he doesn’t know opposition players (apart from exImps) and very rarely uses their names, and when he does he mis-pronounces them. He very often gets Lincoln players wrong and I also don’t understand how he fails to identify Imps players involved in incidents - I can see who they are (most, not all of the time). I also get fed up hearing about other games when there are things going on in the Lincoln matches. I get the impression he has a limited attention span and only watches/commentates when things get exciting, losing interest when the ball is just being knocked around in midfield without much happening. I also wish he would NOT keep giving us premiershite and cricket updates during games - I tune in to listen to Lincoln games, NOT everything else going on in the world - I would find my own sources of info for those things if I wanted updates and information. I absolutely don’t doubt he’s a Lincoln fan, but he has too many other interests and gets too easily distracted by anything and everything.
Apart from that, he’s OK 🙄🤔

Re Hortin & BBC Lincs radio coverage, I wonder if this is something that the new Director of Innovation and Growth could look at.

The club could bypass BBC Lincs and do their own match broadcasting, interviews etc. (if you can't change the people, change the people). It doesn't cost much to set up a radio channel and the club could possibly team up with the media department of the Uni of Lincoln.

I'm sure that students looking to get into sports media would be thrilled to get the opportunity to commentate on the matches and do interviews. Maybe even get Mark Hone on board as the main commentator.

I'm sure that fans would happily pay a small fee to not hear Hortin, and the club could also make additional revenue from advertising, monies lost from the matchday programme perhaps.

Over to you Clive, Liam, Jez & Co.

Re Hortin & BBC Lincs radio coverage, I wonder if this is something that the new Director of Innovation and Growth could look at.

The club could bypass BBC Lincs and do their own match broadcasting, interviews etc. (if you can't change the people, change the people). It doesn't cost much to set up a radio channel and the club could possibly team up with the media department of the Uni of Lincoln.

I'm sure that students looking to get into sports media would be thrilled to get the opportunity to commentate on the matches and do interviews. Maybe even get Mark Hone on board as the main commentator.

I'm sure that fans would happily pay a small fee to not hear Hortin, and the club could also make additional revenue from advertising, monies lost from the matchday programme perhaps.

Peterborough have gone along that route and charge people. Fans are not happy. Especially as you need the internet and a lot of older listeners are now unable to listen to the game.

They used to do that, and it was dreadful. To be fair it was in the dark days of sitting in the bottom middle of non-league so there weren't actually that many listening. Chris Ashton, Alan Long and (I think?) Rob Makepeace used to do it. Apart from the sound cutting out every time Lincoln scored for about 30 seconds there were also Mr Ashton's witterings. My good lady used to potter into the room every time it was on and say "has he mentioned the biscuits or onion bags yet?".

It was perfectly reflective of our club at the time though, shambolic, well intentioned but terrible and very much sub-local radio. Radio Lincolnshire got the gig because they recognised that they needed something at least a bit more polished I think after our first season under the Cowleys.

Despite my frustrations of it, I understood I was kind of lucky to have it as an exile and appreciated that it was probably only being done because of Chris and Alan's deep love and total support for the club. Once we had to pay for it though all bets were off, I was being asked to sub them for the commentary and I therefore immediately switched to demanding a lot more from them in terms of quality.

A single quote from Mr Ashton would suffice to give you a flavour. When commentating on a Lincoln goal his analysis of it was: "It was bad goalkeepering that was.."

I think the first step should be for someone at BBC Lincs to listen back to the match with Hortin and point out his errors, if he can't identify them himself. If re-training doesn't work then replacing him with Rob Makepeace is the next obvious step - he always seems much better informed and keeps his mind on the job in hand.

This always reminds me of Brian Johnstone who used to be part of the TMS team back in the day, who said that being a radio commentator should be like sitting with a blind friend next to you and describing the scene so he can understand what his happening and create his own mental picture. With Hortin it is certainly a 'mental' picture!

Do the BBC pay for the rights to broadcast/commentate on the games?

Be careful what you wish for though, it's better than having nothing (I don't listen to the commentary, btw, I just mean that the death of Lincolnshire Echo coverage only leaves Radio Lincs and Lincs Sport (Uni paper)).

I think the first step should be for someone at BBC Lincs to listen back to the match with Hortin and point out his errors, if he can't identify them himself. If re-training doesn't work then replacing him with Rob Makepeace is the next obvious step - he always seems much better informed and keeps his mind on the job in hand.

This always reminds me of Brian Johnstone who used to be part of the TMS team back in the day, who said that being a radio commentator should be like sitting with a blind friend next to you and describing the scene so he can understand what his happening and create his own mental picture. With Hortin it is certainly a 'mental' picture!
Yep but that would be like Asking Turkeys to vote to save the traditional Christmas dinner. Michael, I believe, is head of Sport at BBC Lincs and is second in command of the whole BBC Lincs with only Maggie Curtis above him as head poncho and I don’t think sport is Maggie’s thing. As long as he is PC enough on air he will keep the job and by employing some of the ‘expert’ pundits the BBC are being all inclusive and employing the illiterate and downright useless so proving their diversity.

I appreciate the position at Peterborough but they don't have Hortin on their local radio. Like I said, from comments on here, I'm sure that fans would be prepared to pay a nominal fee of say a couple of pounds to get a more professional commentary.

I don't agree with your comment about older people not having the internet, there may be a handful, but it won't be many.

Just because it didn't work in the past doesn't mean, that with a more professionally run club, it won't work this time around.

If the BBC pay for the rights, then the club should have an input in the commentary team. If not, then don't renew the rights agreement when it next comes up.