Match Thread: Lincoln City Exeter City | Page 9 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City Exeter City

Just looked at sky highlights and Moylan challenge not on there. I would love to see it again because I honestly thought he lost his footing and fell over. I didn't think their player touched him or that he dived. But I could well be wrong.

Just looked at sky highlights and Moylan challenge not on there. I would love to see it again because I honestly thought he lost his footing and fell over. I didn't think their player touched him or that he dived. But I could well be wrong.
I agree Tony, I thought Moylan miscontrolled the ball and got a toe to it so he was off balance and the minimal contact from Sweeney caused him to fall over. No offence by Sweeney so no booking, no real dive from Moylan but he fell a bit theatrically to cover his embarrassment of such a poor touch. It was a superbly timed through ball from Bishop again though.

Definitely not a classic. It didn’t feel like a windy day walking to the ground, but first half long balls were constantly over hit and either raced through to the keeper or out of play. Second half the ball was holding up for us albeit we played less direct generally. Feels a bit like we were tactically wrong in the first half but we more than doubled their shots on and off target and won so what do I know!

Edit - I did wonder whether we were effectively trying to turn it into a 45 min game.

Last edited:
I am always amazed that most people seem to think there is only one side on the pitch.
If we keep a clean sheet it is superb well organised defending....

If the opposition make it hard for our forwards, we are poor, woeful...the match dire, awful.

Surely evenly match teams will find it difficult to impose their game on the opposition....because the "are" evenly matched.

First half yesterday, we did a lot of good things which didn't quite come off and with a little more space in the second half, it was fractionally easier.

The planned introduction of Bishop made a big difference as players better than there opponents will do.

Most of us will have seen or played in hundreds of games...and yet the normal course of most matches comes as a surprise every time, it seems.

Anyhow, if Hackett and Bishop are available to start...the Port Vale match might hopefully be slightly less evenly matched.

Just watched some extended highlights but still didn't show the Moylan incident.
However did show the clash of heads early on when O'connor got injured. Didn't look like a foul but ref gave it. But it was at least 2 yds inside the box so should have been a penalty.

I am always amazed that most people seem to think there is only one side on the pitch.
If we keep a clean sheet it is superb well organised defending....

If the opposition make it hard for our forwards, we are poor, woeful...the match dire, awful.

Surely evenly match teams will find it difficult to impose their game on the opposition....because the "are" evenly matched.

First half yesterday, we did a lot of good things which didn't quite come off and with a little more space in the second half, it was fractionally easier.

The planned introduction of Bishop made a big difference as players better than there opponents will do.

Most of us will have seen or played in hundreds of games...and yet the normal course of most matches comes as a surprise every time, it seems.

Anyhow, if Hackett and Bishop are available to start...the Port Vale match might hopefully be slightly less evenly matched.
For me, both sides were poor in the first half. Don't think they cancelled each other, they just couldn't pass the ball to each other consistently.
Second half, both got a bit more rhythm and looked more evenly matched. The result being a much better watch than the previous 45 minutes.
Come sit with me at the next home game to hear the ultimate in opinion turnarounds. Right up to the goal, for a fella near us, virtually every Lincoln player was shit, hadn't done a lot, should be shipped on loan, returned to their club etc (all of this is a weekly thing). Taylor in particular has been getting it for a few games. Low and behold he scores. Not a bad lad, you can't expect him to score if the shit behind him don't make chances for him🤣 He's considering not renewing, I'll take 0-0 every game to May for this to happen. I suspect I'm not in the minority amongst those in the area!

Just watched some extended highlights but still didn't show the Moylan incident.
However did show the clash of heads early on when O'connor got injured. Didn't look like a foul but ref gave it. But it was at least 2 yds inside the box so should have been a penalty.
I also saw the 'penalty' - it just looked like a clash of heads but if there was an offence worthy of a FK, then it shou,d have been a pen!

I sought out the Moylan incident on the full match replay on the OS - very difficuly to see what happened, even in slow-mo but listening to the away commentators, who were so much better than Wallace & Grommit, they seemed to infer that Exeter had got away with one, which is how it seems when you first see it.

A win is a win however and I wonder if it was deliberate on our part, having selected the team that we did, to play 'negatively' for the first half then change method after the subsitutions?

Again our defensive stature is second to none, we must be in the top 5 with clean sheets once again. It is a fine line sacrificing this element to become more expansive and score more goals.

The current defensive setup apart from Jackson will struggle to play through the thirds in my opinion. Add Montsma into the equation and things look differently from that aspect. Skubala has always said evolution over revolution and I think that is what we as are seeing from a playing perspective, but the evolution is picking up points which is a real positive.

We are a typical 10-14th side in my opinion which is nothing to be sniffed at, especially at League 1 level. To become a top 7 side is a different proposition, it will require more goals and the ability to open up all types of sides. I don’t think we are miles away, 3 or 4 quality additions in the summer and we could have a right go.

There is also a touch of disappointment this season that it feels like the greatest chance to challenge the play off since the covid season has bypassed us.

That was my view also.

For me, both sides were poor in the first half. Don't think they cancelled each other, they just couldn't pass the ball to each other consistently.
Second half, both got a bit more rhythm and looked more evenly matched. The result being a much better watch than the previous 45 minutes.
Come sit with me at the next home game to hear the ultimate in opinion turnarounds. Right up to the goal, for a fella near us, virtually every Lincoln player was shit, hadn't done a lot, should be shipped on loan, returned to their club etc (all of this is a weekly thing). Taylor in particular has been getting it for a few games. Low and behold he scores. Not a bad lad, you can't expect him to score if the shit behind him don't make chances for him🤣 He's considering not renewing, I'll take 0-0 every game to May for this to happen. I suspect I'm not in the minority amongst those in the area!
Bloke near me in Upper 4 constantly booming in for opposition players to be sent off, he used other more basic language last season, just vile. I mentioned this to Liam Scully, they put a spotter in the Stand to identify him after my description and it stopped the more basic stuff. For such a family orientated Club you can do without this type of 'supporter' . I have seen him at a few away games as well !!
UTI.

Again our defensive stature is second to none, we must be in the top 5 with clean sheets once again. It is a fine line sacrificing this element to become more expansive and score more goals.

The current defensive setup apart from Jackson will struggle to play through the thirds in my opinion. Add Montsma into the equation and things look differently from that aspect. Skubala has always said evolution over revolution and I think that is what we as are seeing from a playing perspective, but the evolution is picking up points which is a real positive.

We are a typical 10-14th side in my opinion which is nothing to be sniffed at, especially at League 1 level. To become a top 7 side is a different proposition, it will require more goals and the ability to open up all types of sides. I don’t think we are miles away, 3 or 4 quality additions in the summer, and we could have a right go.

There is also a touch of disappointment this season that it feels like the greatest chance to challenge the play off since the covid season has bypassed us.
Which is what we thought this season, but injuries ended that. So "3 or 4 quality additions in the summer and luck with injuries....."

Whilst the first half probably belonged to us and Exeter looked as though they had come for the draw I was worried at half time they would emerge for the second half much improved. Thankfully they didn't get any better and only really started playing with intent in added time. We always looked the better side and fully deserved the win.
A quick look at the Exeter forum and it appears their better players were on the bench. Luckily for us, our bench was better than theirs too. Onwards and upwards Imps.

It was a hard watch for the most part and quite a change by MS from the Charlton game with a no frills team with Reeco injured and Bishop and Mandy benched in favour of more workman like midfield. I guess the end justified the means but after a weeks training and no game midweek I will be disappointed if it’s the same team to play Port Vale next week. McGranny and the Ethan twins are attritional but 60 minutes of watching side and backwards passing with the back 3 tip tapping to each other or hoofing it long for House because they don’t trust the midfield to control, turn and play forward isn’t the way to threaten teams or get the best out of House and Taylor

Unfortunately only Jackson of our centre backs is capable of playing a low pass to our midfield players. The other three (Paudie, Sean and Mitchell) have very average passing skills and therefore look to play it long.

We have four midfielders - the two Ethans, Conor and Teddy - with decent ball control and the ability to turn with the ball. But they can't do that with limited defenders who struggle to find them and thererefore boom the ball over their heads aiming for House.

Looking to next season we need a centre back with good short passing skills, but with the same defensive attributes as the ones we have now. Touch wood that will be Montsma. Even the return of Jackson will help in that area.

On the upside, now we have House and (in a few weeks) Draper, we can get some success from the long ball, even if we do too much of it. But it is clear why we struggled badly up to a few weeks ago when those long balls were only contested by Haks and Makama.

I quite enjoyed the game, even though two similar teams largely cancelled each other out. Teddy certainly can turn it on when he wants to, if only he’d been playing for a new contract for all of the last three years.

Quite a few moans and groans near me about the team not being entertaining enough. What’s that, the third Lincoln Manager in a row that isn’t matching up to the standards of the footballing connoisseurs of Lincoln, who are of course used to years of scintillating football down at the Bank?

Which is what we thought this season, but injuries ended that. So "3 or 4 quality additions in the summer and luck with injuries....."

With different qualities required, i.e. a focus on a more technical attacking emphasis. Full backs will be key in my opinion, they almost need to be wingers. It would be good to get Duffy out on loan for a season to aid his progression.

I quite enjoyed the game, even though two similar teams largely cancelled each other out. Teddy certainly can turn it on when he wants to, if only he’d been playing for a new contract for all of the last three years.

Quite a few moans and groans near me about the team not being entertaining enough. What’s that, the third Lincoln Manager in a row that isn’t matching up to the standards of the footballing connoisseurs of Lincoln, who are of course used to years of scintillating football down at the Bank?
Re Teddy, it could be argued that such an anti football, boring negative manager like MK could never find a way to get the best out of any footballer with individual skill. I guess their views on how the game should be played were polar opposites.