Match Thread: Forest Vs Millwaaaall sponsored by the Natural History Museum | Page 21 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Forest Vs Millwaaaall sponsored by the Natural History Museum

Apollyon - 7/8/2017 21:50

He is a great player but who will create and get you more goals in the number 10 role, him or Clough?

Osborn will create more and have more of an influence, he's also much better suited to a high tempo pressing game than Clough.

Clough will get you more goals and is more likely to create something from nothing.

Best position for Osborne is a converted left back. He simply will never be good enough in centre mid and isn't productive enough as a number 10. If he wants a decent career he should learn to play this position for us. There he will be very valued. Anywhere else and there are better players.

Lest we forget that a number 10 should be getting 10-15 goals per season. When I say productive I meant scoring goals. He did get some assists but over 43 games was that figure particularly special. I don't think he does enough for me. But as a left back I think he could nail down a position for years.

Dowell is a step up on both could see that from his minutes against millwall. Clough is anonymous for large parts and Osborn just wasn't suited to the physical battle against millwall .

Millwall pressed us very hard. no time on the ball and blowing our players off the ball.

Brentford played 5 in midfield against sheff utd at the weekend and lost. I fear us losing the midfield battle against them at the weekend if we play 3 again with Vaughan Osborn and clough. not good enough.

the jock - 8/8/2017 08:44

Dowell is a step up on both could see that from his minutes against millwall. Clough is anonymous for large parts and Osborn just wasn't suited to the physical battle against millwall .

Millwall pressed us very hard. no time on the ball and blowing our players off the ball.

Brentford played 5 in midfield against sheff utd at the weekend and lost. I fear us losing the midfield battle against them at the weekend if we play 3 again with Vaughan Osborn and clough. not good enough.

Agree with u and Pope about clough and Osborn- difficult to get them both in the team at the moment. That may change with form.

LyttleByLyttle - 8/8/2017 08:35

I thought it was second highest in the Championship?

Not even close to second.

Osborn was joint 18th with 7.

Hourihane was top with 14. Four other players were joint second with 10

http://www.worldfootball.net/assists/eng-championship-2016-2017/

I believe he was the third-highest midfielder for chances created last season. A combination of shit forward players and not having Britt playing regularly meant most of them weren't converted.

AdebolaCornflakes - 8/8/2017 08:54

I believe he was the third-highest midfielder for chances created last season. A combination of shit forward players and not having Britt playing regularly meant most of them weren't converted.

He was second only behind Tom Cairney. Chances created was around 105 to Cairney's 110 or something like that.

So if the chance created was assisted by a prior a pass that opened it up would the other guy get credit too...

Osborn is an inside left imo- the problem he has at this point is that Friday's formation (or a large number of modern formations in general) didn't suit that. While creative, he isn't getting enough goals to warrant building a side around like someone like Andy Reid was (another inside left).

It's not really a problem though - he is a good footballer and will play his part over the season, can play a number of roles to a decent standard and has been consistently selected despite changes of management. Also if we do end up playing three across the back (as I think we might at times this year) he'll make a great left wing back- not good enough in the air to make a decent full back imo, and also a waste of creativity.

Worth noting he was injured in the last game of the season and spent the summer out injured/recovering from an op- quite likely not up to his best at present because of this.

toms - 8/8/2017 09:37

So if the chance created was assisted by a prior a pass that opened it up would the other guy get credit too...

Obviously that would just be a pass. lol.

Im merely exploring the definition of chance created...and in particular its history, starting point and source and suggesting that chance created potentially comes from an alternative source.

Do you play chess? I do quite a bit. The chance is created in chess far way before the penultimate move before mate

For example take the winger who speeds down the pitch to the bye line drawing 3 defenders , then passes back (without crossing) to midfielder in space (because defenders have ben drawn to winger) who then passes to striker to score. Who gets the assist? The midfielder in space or winger who helped create the space for the midfielder to make the easier pass?