Match Thread: Forest Vs Boro, sponsored by Andy Marley's decision making skills | Page 8 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Forest Vs Boro, sponsored by Andy Marley's decision making skills

Its playing three at the back. It means you have 4 in midfield and two wide men plus 3 upfront (not standing out wide which means the fullback can defend 20yards inside the winger). Every time a player looked up 2 or three players were running in to space, plus pass and move football. Look at how many teams are playing 3:4:3 both at international level and Champions league/Premier League. We should play our way and let the opposition match us not us changing to match opposition.
Yes it worked well against very poor opposition and its the way Wolves have played so successfully, but we have also played very well in a 4-2-3-1 formation and we need to be able to utilise both system going forward. But the biggest difference is that we tried to pass the ball on the floor, pass and move and that is the way we should be going. Not playing hoofball in some games and passsing football in others. That will never work. We are not a hoofball team.

It's an interesting transformation in terms if confidence from previous games. Yes we were more balanced and against a poor team but in our previous home game we vaguely tried to pass before getting into trouble and going back to hoofing.

It's an interesting transformation in terms if confidence from previous games. Yes we were more balanced and against a poor team but in our previous home game we vaguely tried to pass before getting into trouble and going back to hoofing.
Indeed, Carvalho makes a big difference. He knits things together and makes space for others. We always play better with Joao in the team! Shame MON couldn't see it before!

Different personnel & their abilities & confidence with the ball?

and you think that MoN tells the players to hoof it instead of passing the ball !!!?? ... look back at his interviews and you can notice that he keeps telling the players to get hold of the ball more ....who knows maybe the players dont have much faith in themselves (and in some of their collegues) .... could it be that Boro yesterday took us foregranted and didnt pressure us that much ... also there are players that have the tendency to `hoof` the ball more then others (like big Ben for example), Milos and Wague are more careful with the ball (sometimes it works against them) and try to pass on the floor or low through balls ...big Ben prefares to go for the spectacular ... doing it once in a while is one thing if you keep doing it, the team will never get in sync and eventually it will look like the midfield is being by passed...
yesterday, both Pele and Yates were first class in the middle of the centre circle, can they do the same again in the last two games ? who knows ...if the opposition put pressure on them and mis place their passes, will you blame MoN for that? ...if this happens regularly, the defenders will avoid passing the ball to them with the result of `hoofing` the ball...

You think he doesn't give that order? Do you think he puts out a formation of 11 and thats it? He doesnt direct them to play the ball to certain areas and use the formation in percentage football, setting us up not to lose (with little success).

He completely changed the way we played. A poor manager in any walk of life is one that changes everything on day one. Thats what he did. Hes shit.

OKD finally seeing common sense on Osborn, perhaps he is MON...

Come on CP, my problem was always that Ben is not suited to be an out & out left back - we have better players that can do that.

I've also advocated that he may be suited to the No.10 role but Carvalho is better.

I think that Carvalho, Osborn, Grabban & Lolley all play well together - Cash did too yesterday, that was one of his best games and Ansarifard seemed to fit that style.

LM or LWB suits BenO - on that performance & in that team selection, he did well - but so did all of the others.

Notably, Jack Robinson (one of your own favourites) - who made real crunching clean tackle (may have been against Downing) in the 2nd half.... as you say, if he can keep his head - looked a Captain!

Its a pity Carvalho can't do it on cold wet nights. Thats his flaw in my opinion.

I wouldnt be surprised or upset if he was sold. He has had a decent first season but is he really a match to the English game?

Its a pity Carvalho can't do it on cold wet nights. Thats his flaw in my opinion.

I wouldnt be surprised or upset if he was sold. He has had a decent first season but is he really a match to the English game?
already talks apparently over his future it seems. poss why he was trying so hard to impress.. other managers

Well I for one look forward to the next game on a cold wet night as it won't be Carvalho playing in midfield it will be YOU

I would be gutted if we lost him as it would be a big statement regarding the direction we are heading.

I completely understand the sentiment young Bash, but the fact is, he did disappear when we had a bit of drizzle. Maybe he's solar powered?

If they can get all the money back, I am sure he will go. If they are on a loss, he needs to stay.

I completely understand the sentiment young Bash, but the fact is, he did disappear when we had a bit of drizzle. Maybe he's solar powered?

If they can get all the money back, I am sure he will go. If they are on a loss, he needs to stay.
It’s his first season and he’s still just a kid in quite a brutal league yet he has managed to show a decent amount of class.

If someone is coming in and throwing money at us for him then fair enough but I would like to see how he develops with decent coaching and management.