Match Thread: Forest Vs Boro, sponsored by Andy Marley's decision making skills | Page 7 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Forest Vs Boro, sponsored by Andy Marley's decision making skills

Our record against the top sides isn't too bad.

Drew at Norwich.
Beat Sheffield United at home.
Drew at Leeds and beat them at home.
Drew home and away against West Brom.
Drew at Villa.
Drew at Derby and beat them at home.
Did the double over Boro.

Malta the team v villa he may have used a similar formation but he didn't use the same tactics, it was hoof ball and carvhallo hardly had a sniff as it was flying over his head. Yesterday we actually kept the ball on the floor a lot, lots of quick passing, they must have had a change of tact to suddenly after months rediscover the benefits of passing it shorter.

Firstly I wasn't at the game but most have said we played well.
Now, there has been criticism of MON and whilst I may not have stated this on here, I was of the opinion that the two in charge were not the ones to take us forward.
I'll defend MON with saying he picked the team up when we were in a rut and had to try and change things to get out of it. He perhaps had thought if we play typical championship football we might sneak into the playoffs. For instance playing hard working players across the pitch and try to sneak games. That style hasn't worked with the players at our disposal.
Perhaps now we have no chance of the play offs he decided to change the formation and players to see what they can do and on Saturday it worked. He may well change it again to take a look at some players in a match situation.
Lets see what he does on Saturday!

Malta the team v villa he may have used a similar formation but he didn't use the same tactics, it was hoof ball and carvhallo hardly had a sniff as it was flying over his head. Yesterday we actually kept the ball on the floor a lot, lots of quick passing, they must have had a change of tact to suddenly after months rediscover the benefits of passing it shorter.
and you think that MoN tells the players to hoof it instead of passing the ball !!!?? ... look back at his interviews and you can notice that he keeps telling the players to get hold of the ball more ....who knows maybe the players dont have much faith in themselves (and in some of their collegues) .... could it be that Boro yesterday took us foregranted and didnt pressure us that much ... also there are players that have the tendency to `hoof` the ball more then others (like big Ben for example), Milos and Wague are more careful with the ball (sometimes it works against them) and try to pass on the floor or low through balls ...big Ben prefares to go for the spectacular ... doing it once in a while is one thing if you keep doing it, the team will never get in sync and eventually it will look like the midfield is being by passed...
yesterday, both Pele and Yates were first class in the middle of the centre circle, can they do the same again in the last two games ? who knows ...if the opposition put pressure on them and mis place their passes, will you blame MoN for that? ...if this happens regularly, the defenders will avoid passing the ball to them with the result of `hoofing` the ball...

The fact they have been doing it every game makes me think the manager has told them to do it, they haven't done it all season now every game. If he hasn't what is he doing in training it should of stopped after a couple of games, and if they are going against his orders he should of dropped them all and played the kids.

I don't know what to think. This doesn't even sound like the same manager. And in some cases not the same players either.

The next couple of games will be interesting.

18 points from 12 was hardly a '20 minute aberration', but carry on believing your spiel.

Good 90 minute aberration today, and some of us can enjoy it without having to resort to twisted explanations like 'we achieved that in spite of our stupid manager'.
Cos we won a few games playing horrible ugly hoofball!

All Forest. Middlesbrough didn't get a sniff. Not even in the highlights.

Lolley. :grinning:

Having endured some torrid recent performances, coupled with facing a Boro side with everything to play for, I still can't work out where that performance came from.

Not just Carvalho but from pretty much every player - certainly unexpected, yet hopeful that MON may well take note of what the squad is capable of, playing slick passing and attacking football.

The total change in style and tactics makes little sense. How can you go from playing Wimbledon style hoofball to Man City style slick passing beautiful football??

the secret yesterday, that allowed for Carvalho to shine, was the perfect game Yates and Pele played. They completely dominated that center circle, they won the ball and passed it to Carv and Lolley to play around (even the Pele passing some nice through balls too) .... if I was the QPR manager, and MoN plays the same team, I will instruct my midfielders to `rough` Pele and Yates ... our front players will go missing ... Boro underestimated us...and they were punished...

Its playing three at the back. It means you have 4 in midfield and two wide men plus 3 upfront (not standing out wide which means the fullback can defend 20yards inside the winger). Every time a player looked up 2 or three players were running in to space, plus pass and move football. Look at how many teams are playing 3:4:3 both at international level and Champions league/Premier League. We should play our way and let the opposition match us not us changing to match opposition.

The total change in style and tactics makes little sense. How can you go from playing Wimbledon style hoofball to Man City style slick passing beautiful football??

No idea....

MON stated yesterday that we have to have a Plan B & the inference was that this was it - I may be wrong?

This was right up there with one of the best performances of the season - whether that's due to the pressure being off or just MON taking the shackles off and allowing our creative players to do what they do best, with a more balanced selection to allow that?

My concerns have been that yesterday's performance was so different to the others - where many (myself included) have questioned tactics, style, selection and substitutions.... that deeming this a Plan B makes me worry that one (or a combination) of those that went before was Plan A!!

the secret yesterday, that allowed for Carvalho to shine, was the perfect game Yates and Pele played. They completely dominated that center circle, they won the ball and passed it to Carv and Lolley to play around (even the Pele passing some nice through balls too) .... if I was the QPR manager, and MoN plays the same team, I will instruct my midfielders to `rough` Pele and Yates ... our front players will go missing ... Boro underestimated us...and they were punished...

The secret was playing players in positions more familiar to them - perhaps building on & developing what AK had built?

3 Centrehalves in a back 3, with a natural left footer on the left. Britt was largely marked out of the game.

Yates & Pele playing DCM, with some licence to get forward, provided the other sits in.

Osborn & Cash - full of energy & running, knowing there was defensive cover when they get forward.

Ansarifard's energy, running & first touch was good - but, we largely played on the floor - NOT lumping it up in the air for a beast of a CH to head back.

Then Lolley & Carvalho given license to run at them, get forward & for JC to pick out the runs of others.... it was a joy to watch and reminded me of our first home game against WBA.

For the last 2 months - I was wondering whether MON & RK had seen any of our games this season - perhaps an Easter box set? Yes - they've had to cope with adversity in injuries and integrate new players but there have been resources they have chosen to ignore - to our detriment.

QPR & Bolton to come - let's see if we can end on a positive!

and you think that MoN tells the players to hoof it instead of passing the ball !!!?? ... look back at his interviews and you can notice that he keeps telling the players to get hold of the ball more ....who knows maybe the players dont have much faith in themselves (and in some of their collegues) .... could it be that Boro yesterday took us foregranted and didnt pressure us that much ... also there are players that have the tendency to `hoof` the ball more then others (like big Ben for example), Milos and Wague are more careful with the ball (sometimes it works against them) and try to pass on the floor or low through balls ...big Ben prefares to go for the spectacular ... doing it once in a while is one thing if you keep doing it, the team will never get in sync and eventually it will look like the midfield is being by passed...
yesterday, both Pele and Yates were first class in the middle of the centre circle, can they do the same again in the last two games ? who knows ...if the opposition put pressure on them and mis place their passes, will you blame MoN for that? ...if this happens regularly, the defenders will avoid passing the ball to them with the result of `hoofing` the ball...

Of course he did lol you think our style magically changed overnight? Or perhaps the players got together and thought

"fuck this passing business, lets just hoof the ball, it's how I've always dreamed of playing football"