Match Thread: Forest Vs Birmingham Sponsored by Steve Cotterill's P45 | Page 9 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Forest Vs Birmingham Sponsored by Steve Cotterill's P45

AdebolaCornflakes - 4/3/2018 09:31

No need to rant Farcall. We've just won our second in a row and are four unbeaten. The snow has stopped, the pool looks inviting, the sangria is room temp and brie is ice cool. Toodlepip :14:
.......Beeston has always been Utopia...enjoy big lad

AdebolaCornflakes - 4/3/2018 18:22

Agreed Pope. I think any accusations of lack of effort are way off the mark and it's just lack of match sharpness.

Hope you fellows are right otherwise we have a quite expensive problem.

We do need another striker imo.
Like to see Fuentes at LB when match fit.
Another centre half to replace Mancienne should also be a priority.

the jock - 4/3/2018 08:08

Anyone watch the wilder Ortiz fight last night? Judges had wilder up. Corrupt as fook.

He'll knock AJ the fook out

If AJ gets past Parker which I don't think he will

PsychoTheLegend - 4/3/2018 10:03

We do need another striker imo.
Like to see Fuentes at LB when match fit.
Another centre half to replace Mancienne should also be a priority.

We need 2 strikers

One free scoring and one back up

Ideally we should have 4 forwards

If Tomlin had the pace of Cash and lollipop he'd be unplayable.....3 points..just when it mattered...UReds

farcall2 - 4/3/2018 10:13

If Tomlin had the pace of Cash and lollipop he'd be unplayable.....3 points..just when it mattered...UReds

Yeah and he would also be a £60m player

We have this one covered chaps!

Its patently clear to see exactly who bothered their arses to go yesterday; Popes summation would be closest to my assessment.

We now have a solid spine to the team and Watson and Colback are an integral part of that; there is nothing remotely negative or defensive about playing a double pivot, in fact the solid platform that it gives is a massive positive.

The two full backs are incredibly weak; Darikwa is not improving with games and Osborn is clearly out of position; thankfully we have not played anyone who has managed to take advantage of these frailties, that will change over our next run of games.

Our big problem yeterday was up front; neither Brereton or Murphy managed to hold the ball up and link play with the three playing behind; Birmingham held thier shape and looked solid which made life very difficult.

The three playing off of the forward have been a breath of fresh air; they have a great understanding and link up well, cover a lot of ground defensively and are all weighing in with goals.

We now have three players who are getting into positions to score goals and that is what we have badly missed; not a second forward.

To think that in the very recent past we had one of our bretheren slating Karanka for not playing Lolley on the right instead of Cash, this was on the basis that Joe is a naturally right sided player; you can imagine my amusement to see Joe drifting left at every given opportunity, tackling and passing with his left foot and to top it all off, scoring two goals with his left foot.

He needs to get on message pretty sharpish before he ends up being a pariah like Ben, Ben, Matty and Joe W.

da fuq - 4/3/2018 10:03

Anyone watch the wilder Ortiz fight last night? Judges had wilder up. Corrupt as fook.

You dont think AJ will beat Parker?? :19: :19: :19: :19: :19: :19: :19:

Pope John XXIII - 4/3/2018 08:56

This time last season we also had 40 points. But third bottom (Bristol) had 34 and relegated Blackburn already had 36. We were therefore only 6 points clear of relegation and 4 clear of the team we had to stay ahead of.

This time two seasons ago we had 42 points from 35 games. We were 10 points clear of 3rd bottom who had 32. MK Dons had 35 points and were eventually relegated in 2nd bottom with 40

This time in 2014-15 the third bottom side had 31 and finished on 41. We were on 50 under Freedman.

Point I'm making is that the current bottom three have 30. That is the lowest points total of the third bottom club for the last three seasons. We are no better off than the same point last year but better off Vis a vis the bottom three than we have been since 2015 at this stage.

This time last year Blackburn, who were relegated on 51 already had 36 - and their end of season run was very strong. They gained 15 points in 11 games, which is unusual. The season before, Rotherham gained 17 points from 11 and stayed up- but MK Dons and Bolton only gained 5 more points from those same 11 games.

An absolutely brilliant performance from the bottom 3 would see them gain 45-46 points based on where they are now.

https://youtu.be/zUoT5AxFpRs

farcall2 - 4/3/2018 09:05

Even if your not match fit...and as pope says a second off the pace....surely when a ball is put high and in front of you...there's nothing wrong in jumping in the air and at least trying...you give your all on and off he ball....something is better than nothing...
Agree 100%.... his age is affecting him nd for his role...especially being the lone striker we cannot afford passengers...its not our fault that it takes him 3 months to get up to speed...if we are aiming higher for next season ...Murphy is not the solution...as things stand...let Ben get as much milage as much as possible...he is young he will makes mistakes..but he will learn from them...by playing an unfit aging striker ...we r gaining nothing...

Apollyon - 4/3/2018 10:54

We shall see..... he's a lot faster and is a technical boxer with great combinations

mao tse tung - 4/3/2018 10:45

Its patently clear to see exactly who bothered their arses to go yesterday; Popes summation would be closest to my assessment.

We now have a solid spine to the team and Watson and Colback are an integral part of that; there is nothing remotely negative or defensive about playing a double pivot, in fact the solid platform that it gives is a massive positive.

The two full backs are incredibly weak; Darikwa is not improving with games and Osborn is clearly out of position; thankfully we have not played anyone who has managed to take advantage of these frailties, that will change over our next run of games.

Our big problem yeterday was up front; neither Brereton or Murphy managed to hold the ball up and link play with the three playing behind; Birmingham held thier shape and looked solid which made life very difficult.

The three playing off of the forward have been a breath of fresh air; they have a great understanding and link up well, cover a lot of ground defensively and are all weighing in with goals.

We now have three players who are getting into positions to score goals and that is what we have badly missed; not a second forward.

To think that in the very recent past we had one of our bretheren slating Karanka for not playing Lolley on the right instead of Cash, this was on the basis that Joe is a naturally right sided player; you can imagine my amusement to see Joe drifting left at every given opportunity, tackling and passing with his left foot and to top it all off, scoring two goals with his left foot.

He needs to get on message pretty sharpish before he ends up being a pariah like Ben, Ben, Matty and Joe W.

I think Darwika is improving but that’s not hard given how low the bar was set.

I also thought that most of the balls into Brereton were right into his feet whereas it seems with Murphy we use the dustbin lid rule.

Would be a perfect set up for Dex. Maybe we should offer him a 5 year contract (again)?

I would think Karanka has already identified his forward targets for next season. A win over drearby and Norfolk could see us within single figures of the play offs :19:

Blunts have Fulham, Ipswich then us
Preston have Bristol, Fulham then Sunderland
Boro have Brum who interestingly could be managed by Monk, followed by Barnsley and Brentford
And Bristol have the 2 games above plus Burton away

Toodlepip

Poor performance, poor game. Two holding midfield players, a lone striker with at times three sitting on him, two fullbacks that only just past the halfway line means more performances like this. Fortunately Brum were worse. Away is likely to be a better stage for performances. As is Derby in next home game, as they could be needing 3 points to stay in top 6. After that I fear more of the same dross. We need to support the striker to score goals. Having six at the back is embarrassing at home. AK needs to watch the Cloughie film. Sacrilege on our own turf. No good blaming BB and Murphy for lack of effort. Harry Kane would have struggled with that set up.

da fuq - 4/3/2018 11:02

Apollyon - 4/3/2018 10:54

We shall see..... he's a lot faster and is a technical boxer with great combinations

Hahahah have you seen Parker fights? He struggled against Huey Tyson who isnt even in Whytes league. Deontay would beat AJ, but I dont think Parker has a prayer

Polly we dont sit that deep to call it 6 at the back. Both Watson and Colback were involved in yesterdays goals and Watson is playing box to box. When we are attacked we arrange the defence better than I have seen for 3 seasons. Equally the attacking presence of Lolley,Tomlin and Cash with Colback and Watson pushing them on is a great set up. Its not at all negative. Yesterday it didnt fully click but when it does, we will have more QPRs then Brums in terms of goals scored

Ah let’s see. Worrall is not in the team. BEn o is not in midfield. He can’t get i despite you implying he was amazing and should be in midfield..Ben b has scored maybe 5 in 30. Cash is having a decent run. All of these players are good squad players but won’t get us promoted. They are predominantly excellent in a supporting role. We need a proper goal scorer. They stay in the team for now and whilst they perform to karankas standards

Polly 433 - 4/3/2018 12:19

Poor performance, poor game. Two holding midfield players, a lone striker with at times three sitting on him, two fullbacks that only just past the halfway line means more performances like this. Fortunately Brum were worse. Away is likely to be a better stage for performances. As is Derby in next home game, as they could be needing 3 points to stay in top 6. After that I fear more of the same dross. We need to support the striker to score goals. Having six at the back is embarrassing at home. AK needs to watch the Cloughie film. Sacrilege on our own turf. No good blaming BB and Murphy for lack of effort. Harry Kane would have struggled with that set up.

Were you saying this when MW was playing Vaughan and Bridcutt as two defensive midfielders?

Or switching one for Osborn?

Because we played 4-2-3-1 pretty much every single game under MW.

Almost every team in this league plays 4-2-3-1 with a double pivot.

Are they committing sacrilege too?

We are mostly playing 4-1-4-1 with one of our 'defensive' midfielders more advanced and operating up and down the pitch. That's more positive than most teams play.

The whole purpose of the system is that in attack you can have a defensive team of between 3-6, so the front four can just let loose and when things are going right the Fullbacks can join too.

Mao and the others who say the lone striker was the problem are spot on. People couldn't get forward because neither striker was able to hold the ball for them to get there.

This idea that Karanka is playing a more negative formation is an absolute fiction and even more ludicrous considering the same players and tactics brought 5 away from home last week.