Match Thread, Forest v Middlesboro, are we on the up? | Page 7 | Vital Football

Match Thread, Forest v Middlesboro, are we on the up?

That couldn't have been much worse could it, shambolic performance Ribiero out for 3 games, Yates picked up what looks like an injury that could keep him out for a while. The whole team looked back to where they were 6 weeks ago, lacked energy, movement. The really disappointing thing was having got a goal to give themselves a glimmer they completely lost their heads for that last 3 / 4 mins ridiculous.

You'd think if he doesnt at least make the bench he's going, wouldn't mind Soh having a chance in there he needs to be getting involved more. Yates hopefully just roles his ankle or he maybe out a while, that Croatian any closer to joining?

I’d honestly try Knockaert in the number 10 role. He likes to roam around anyway, he has loads of energy, great technical ability and Jesus Christ he might give us some threat ahead of that absolute passenger Cafu.

I know I’ve had it in for Cafu for a while and he certainly wasn’t the only culprit tonight but he’s just rubbish and his position is too important when you play one upfront. I don’t understand what Hughton and people like about him.

What was so strong about us last season is that our 4 attacking players - Lolley, Ameobi, Silva and Grabban were lightening quick to get us up the field when we countered. We look so totally slow and predictable this season since Lolley lost form and Silva left. The replacements simply aren’t good enough in those positions.

I also think Yates’ lack of dynamism is seriously costing us too. Samba Sow worked so well last season because he bullied the midfield, Watson organized it, but was also very capable of playing some decent forward passes and getting us moving, even if that meant releasing it to a quicker player like Silva.

Sow hasn’t really changed, but Yates doesn’t have the variety of pass alongside him once we win it to get us from defending to attacking, and Cafu isn’t good/quick enough just to take the pass from Yates and make that happen himself. As such, we soak up the pressure, look like we’re gonna break for about 5 seconds, the opposition then get players back and we then pause and pass it back.

It means we’re constantly under the cosh defensively and it means the defenders get all the grief for any slip ups.

Last edited:
I used to give Silva stick but I think he'd have been better than Cafu. Im not jumping on Cafus back particularly, he's been as good as any other forward (ish) player, but not enough. No real quality class players, in fact the league is becoming devoid of them altogether have you noticed?

I’d honestly try Knockaert in the number 10 role. He likes to roam around anyway, he has loads of energy, great technical ability and Jesus Christ he might give us some energy ahead of that absolute passenger Cafu.

I know I’ve had it in for Cafu for a while and he certainly wasn’t the only culprit tonight but he’s just rubbish and his position is too important when you play one upfront. I don’t understand what Hughton and people like about him.

What was so strong about us last season is that our 4 attacking players, Lolley, Ameobi, Silva and Grabban were lightening quick to get us up the field when we countered. We look so totally slow and predictable this season since Lolley lost form and Silva left. The replacements simply aren’t good enough in those positions.

I also think Yates’ lack of dynamics is seriously costing us too. Samba Sow worked so well last season because sow bullied the midfield, Watson organized it, but was also very capable of playing some decent forward passes and getting us moving, even if that meant releasing it to a quicker player like Silva.

Sow hasn’t really changed, but Yates doesn’t have the variety of pass alongside him once we win it to get us from defending to attacking, and Cafu isn’t good/quick enough just to take the pass from Yates and make that happen himself. As such, we soak up the pressure, look like we’re gonna break for about 5 seconds, they then get players back and the we then pause and pass it back.

It means we’re constantly under the cosh defensively and it means the defenders get all the grief for any slip ups.
Thought Yates played some great passes. Hope his injury isn't too serious.

Cafu not so good tonight, but far from rubbish. Whole team just wasn't on it.

Yates did 2 or 3 good forward passes, we need someone else though who can do it more often. We have very little guile Cafu does the occasional clever pass but it's not really his game, someone who can spot a cutting pass that opens a team up hopefully Freeman can get fully fit and do it.

I’d honestly try Knockaert in the number 10 role. He likes to roam around anyway, he has loads of energy, great technical ability and Jesus Christ he might give us some energy ahead of that absolute passenger Cafu.

What was so strong about us last season is that our 4 attacking players, Lolley, Ameobi, Silva and Grabban were lightening quick to get us up the field when we countered. We look so totally slow and predictable this season since Lolley lost form and Silva left. The replacements simply aren’t good enough in those positions.

I also think Yates’ lack of dynamics is seriously costing us too. Samba Sow worked so well last season because sow bullied the midfield, Watson organized it, but was also very capable of playing some decent forward passes and getting us moving, even if that meant releasing it to a quicker player like Silva.

Sow hasn’t really changed, but Yates doesn’t have the variety of pass alongside him once we win it to get us from defending to attacking, and Cafu isn’t good/quick enough just to take the pass from Yates and make that happen himself. As such, we soak up the pressure, look like we’re gonna break for about 5 seconds, they then get players back and the we then pause and pass it back.

Been saying all along that Knocks should play in the 10 role. Yates being injured should be a blessing, especially if we are close to bringing in another more dynamic central midfielder.

What ‘great’ passes did Yates make?

Cafu is becoming acceptable because he has a half decent set piece on him but he’s nowhere near good enough.

Poor stuff, looks as though the good run is well and truly over. It's difficult to understand how this bunch of players can be so variable, CH must have had some idea of what was coming and presumably he would have communicated this to the players, it's hard to fathom the sort of display we put on.

Perhaps it's what a number of us thought, these players just aren't the right mix to make a decent side. It's depressing and until CH signs another couple of players of his choice I can't see things changing much, and I'm an optimist.

Yates is decent enough when we're playing the less good sides in the league. With time and space, his sideways and backwards passes help the team.
However, against better opponents, who cut his space, Yates' weaknesses are more exposed.

There was a moment in the second half where, both, positive and negative aspects of his game were highlighted.

Just outside the centre circle in Forest's half, he had the ball and was immediately surrounded by three players.

On a difficult surface his control seemed to let him down; so, he did what he always does and turned back to defence.

Unfortunately, the centre-backs had pushed up, presumably following Hughton's instructions to play a higher line.
Thus, Ryan was left in a difficult spot: his control had let him down and an easy out ball suddenly became a lot more difficult.
Boro disposed him and attacked an unprepared defence holding a high-line with space in behind.

To his credit, and the positive in his play, Yates’ first reaction was to retreat further, get goalside and throw his body in front of their player.

To me, it encapsulated the dilemma for his and Forest’s progression.

If Forest’s aim is just to survive, losing against Boro (whilst infuriating) is possibly acceptable. Our midfield couldn’t live with theirs, and there is no shame in that.
Beating teams like Barnsley is where our season will be defined (as someone noted).
Their players aren’t as good as Boro’s, and one would imagine an easier opponent for Yates to handle.

Poor stuff, looks as though the good run is well and truly over. It's difficult to understand how this bunch of players can be so variable, CH must have had some idea of what was coming and presumably he would have communicated this to the players, it's hard to fathom the sort of display we put on.

Perhaps it's what a number of us thought, these players just aren't the right mix to make a decent side. It's depressing and until CH signs another couple of players of his choice I can't see things changing much, and I'm an optimist.

They're probably not good enough. Decent results against the bottom half of the league maybe shows their level.

It's another one of those scenarios where it's important not to get too carried away by one defeat or by an unbeaten run of 7 games.

Derby lost at home to Rotherham, but then beat Bournemouth - which just perfectly frames the inconsistency of the Championship.

The problem is that many fans like to pick on someone, whether that be Yates, Cafu, Taylor, Samba... etc.

As a team, we were poor last night and actually immature.

The discipline was notably very disappointing against a shrewd Warnock side, that will time waste, dive etc etc.

Taylor got booked again without need and could have got a second yellow, Sow is clumsy and was a shoe in for a booking - so we had to make a change (which CH did at Half time), Knocky (who's body language was very poor when he came on) could have got a straight red & Ribby, clearly fancied 3 games off - because he could have got a red earlier.

Yates probably out for a while - so, will Colback, Arter or Freeman be fit to return or do we play Mbe Soh in DCM?

Sammy back to his frustrating best, well worst - Christie can't beat the first man with a cross and Mighten was largely anonymous.

Inevitable changes for a tough away day at Swansea, of course I want us to win, but don't really care about the FA Cup - use the game to get minutes into some players and hopefully, get rid of others!

Time to take stock, recover, get the cup game played and then let's go again!!

We finished a very respectable 7th last season (albeit we had a terrible end to that season). So what do we do; we sign 14 players! (OK we lost Cash) We have become a much worse team. What does that say about recruitment?

I kind of get what you’re saying Will about Cafu. I almost feel like, given how unbelievably low our expectations were when he signed (extra body from Olympiacos we don’t need / who won’t play / with no pedigree), we’re collectively surprised he’s actually OK. But he’s no better than OK. He’s painfully slow and I’d be surprised if he got a goal all season.