Match Thread: Doncaster Rovers v Lincoln City | Page 21 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Doncaster Rovers v Lincoln City

An even game settled by a wonder goal. It happens. No need to worry. We didn’t hit the heights of recent weeks but we weren’t poor and had chances.

not listened to the big apple yet but this is absolutely “one of those”. If we’re a top half pushing for play offs team then that’s not settled by games away at Donny.

Reminded me of Donny away last season (even though we scored that game)- nothing quite flowed or dropped right for us and a draw might have been a "fair" result but football isn't about what's fair- it's about who scores more than they concede.

It's football, it happens. Tuesday next

Not our first choice eleven, but this is football. Got to expect a few injuries to key players after playing 2 games a week for a while now.
We set such high standards in the past 3 weeks that a blip was bound to come.
Well played Donny and a great winning goal.
Let's see how we react against Pompey.

You can't win 'em all. Undoubtedly the Sat-Tues intensity of the fixture list is going to catch up with all teams and I think it caught up with us today. Map has played a generally settled side for a few weeks because it has been getting us results, when ideally a little more rotation would have helped. And don't forget tiredness isn't just physical - it's mental too and that affects decision making like taking short corners when it's not the best option.

Yes, that mental tiredness is a major factor. Several years ago a colleague (in the old fashioned, not modern parlance) played at a decent semi pro level. A couple of us football supporters asked him why playing two games a week was an issue - surely a midweek game was a good training session? He replied that mental tiredness/concentration was the issue

Yes, that mental tiredness is a major factor. Several years ago a colleague (in the old fashioned, not modern parlance) played at a decent semi pro level. A couple of us football supporters asked him why playing two games a week was an issue - surely a midweek game was a good training session? He replied that mental tiredness/concentration was the issue

Not sure it's mental tiredness. We have only played a dozen or so games.

Whatever level you are at, you can play to roughly that level most games...

and I would say you can play better than average "raise your game" every so often.

Most people who have anything about them will play above their normal level, in particularly important matches and against the teams you know will beat you, if you don't raise your game.

Being league leaders puts opposition on notice they need to play well or they will lose.

I think Doncaster were on their game because they knew they had to be.

As Danny Cowley was forever saying, when you are top of the league you always see the very best of the opposition.

Having said all that there was little between the sides, and after 10 league games, I haven't seen a side who you would confidently say were any better than us.

Last edited:
Doncaster will be up around the playoffs and Darren Moore is a very good manager, to lose 1.0 against them when we wasnt up to our best is not a bad effort, oodles more to come from this team however there will be hiccups along the way but i can live with that, What Mapp is building could be very special

Not our first choice eleven, but this is football. Got to expect a few injuries to key players after playing 2 games a week for a while now.
We set such high standards in the past 3 weeks that a blip was bound to come.
Well played Donny and a great winning goal.
Let's see how we react against Pompey.
To be fair, Donny not their 1st choice either I think

In reflection last few games have shown where are problems are (I say that in full recognition we’re 3rd so everything should be put in perspective).
Only 2 goals other than penalties in last 5 games, conversely of course only 1 conceded. Need to find a way to start getting more tap-ins somehow.

We could drop another 10 places and still a successful season for me. Donny will have much loftier expectations. Not a bad result. Didn’t watch so no idea on performance.

Thought we looked sharp for around 20-30 mins then we looked a bit tired.
Definitely looked tired, both in speed of thought and execution. Donny stopped us playing how we want to, but we also looked well short of the energy we hadd a few days earlier.

Agreed, some clumsy/tired touches and a general look of being a yard off the pace for much of the game. Having said that, we weren't badly outplayed even though we lost.

I am starting to worry a little about our cutting edge from open play, though.

In reflection last few games have shown where are problems are (I say that in full recognition we’re 3rd so everything should be put in perspective).
Only 2 goals other than penalties in last 5 games, conversely of course only 1 conceded. Need to find a way to start getting more tap-ins somehow.
Which is backed up by the stats - we've actually underachieved in our goal scoring against chances created in the last 6 games...not as bad as Oxford, though! Fleetwood and Ipswich massively overachieving - or clinical if you prefer.

1604262760152.png

1604262843001.png