Match Thread: Crystal Palace v Aston Villa, Sat 31st Aug, 3pm | Page 28 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Crystal Palace v Aston Villa, Sat 31st Aug, 3pm

There appears to be no way to right this wrong by the referee but from other articles I have seen appertaining to Freinds officiating of Villa matches which clearly suggests a theory of some dislike of the football club. My only hope that the Club can get an appeal against Grealish yellow card & that Mr Purslow knows contacts & procedure to have the referee investigated & reprimanded and barred from ever again officiating a Villa game. The apparent silly rule as to why VAR could not intervene was that the ref had blown the whistle as Lansbury had shot at goal! But on match of the day even Gary Lineker said the ref hadn’t put the whistle to his mouth his arms never moved. The point lost could be important at the end of season if we have been on the end of more bad referee decisions like that which cost us

Using the link, get to choose a topic 'select a topic' and nothing......

They must be expecting a shedl oad so done something to it........
Its working Pride. I just tried it. Select topic then select on field and follow instructions through to still need to contact.

Not said a lot about the incident as I was fuming. Nothing to be done about it now and it looks like Friend hasn't been reprimanded or won't be. One 'ref' in particular has said that 50% of qualified refs would say it was a dive and the other half wouldn't. I have watched it numerous times and have tried to take a step back to put some degree of impartiality in place. I just cannot for the life of me see how that is a dive.

He was off balance, made the pass and then his momentum took him in to Cahill's challenge. He may have made a show of the fall. But there was no appeal for a penalty and he was straight back up. I just don't get it.

So Friend has made an instant decision. The guidance for Ref's as I understand it is to wait a few seconds this season and make sure they don't rush the decision. After all they have VAR to dig them out of the mire if they get it wrong. But he didn't. So his level of incompetence is even worse than I thought.

One question that I can't find a clear answer for. Games I have watched this season where there has been simulation. The ref has played on and then come back to the perpetrator when there is a break. Is it foul play? Is the correct course of action to blow-up and deal with it there and then?

I've kept quite all weekend and not read all this thread because I kinda know what it's going to say.

The game was underwhelming for the most part, but it takes two teams to make a game of football and consistency from the referee. I think Villa were put on the back foot by some early decisions and this disrupted the natural flow of the game. Another lesson learned.

The less said about the "goal that never was" the better IMO. If Kevin Friend does have a score to settle with Villa, then it was mission accomplished, us whinging about it will only stroke his ego further. Life ain't fair and we will have to suffer a lot more of this in future games. The key thing for me is that DS changed things up, got a positive rection and has some more information about his players. We haven't even begun to know what our best team or system is yet and this game, however painful for the fans, showed DS more than a boring 0 - 0 ever could. Collective chins up guys, keep the faith.

I disagree about the decisions apart from the goal that was wrongly disallowed.

Prem refs are fussy. If that puts our lot off then God help us this year.

We were poor. We can learn from that and bounce back, hopefully. I personally won't dress that up as anything other than our fault, Palace were at the races, by and large we weren't.

Still robbed because of the ref and that awful decision and if we'd have got a draw, Palace would only have had themselves to blame not making their dominance count.

Would have been a fantastic point judging by how we played..

One question that I can't find a clear answer for. Games I have watched this season where there has been simulation. The ref has played on and then come back to the perpetrator when there is a break. Is it foul play? Is the correct course of action to blow-up and deal with it there and then?

I believe the current "good practice" is that you play on. If Friend had done that then after we'd scored VAR could have been used for the whole lot.

The other point of course is that any offence including "simulation" has to be clear. "well, might be" isn't good enough. As Jack had a shove in the back from Zaha, and then managed to get a pass to Lansbury before colliding with Cahill's leg and didn't make a fuss when he hit the deck, opinion surely has to be overwhelmingly in favour of no foul.

Appalling decision by an appalling, arrogant referee and backed up by spineless authorities. I hate VAR and would prefer we scrapped it now. But if we are forced to have it then it must sort out these howlers.

Appalling decision by an appalling, arrogant referee and backed up by spineless authorities. I hate VAR and would prefer we scrapped it now. But if we are forced to have it then it must sort out these howlers.
If there was no VAR the refs decision would have been exactly the same and we would only be talking about his "howler".

In rugby the ref asks for assistance to clarify his thought process. Here it's being used to point things out to the refs without them asking. The attitude of the refs has to change so that they can ask without feeling embarrassed.

I was furious with the ref before the controversy at the end.

McGinn was cynically pulled back early on as he burst through. Free kick given no yellow card

Taylor taken out very late by Zaha right in front of us. Free kick given no yellow card.

Douglas , innocuous foul , immediate yellow card
Freddie ditto.
Trez first foul , yellow card (second one was a definate yellow.)
Taylor first tackle yellow card
Milivojevic five fouls before he eventually got a yellow.

So many errors and inconsistencies from him , it was unreal.

He can't be allowed to ref one of our games again , and really he should be sacked.

If there was no VAR the refs decision would have been exactly the same and we would only be talking about his "howler".

In rugby the ref asks for assistance to clarify his thought process. Here it's being used to point things out to the refs without them asking. The attitude of the refs has to change so that they can ask without feeling embarrassed.
I can put up with shit decisions. Refs make mistakes just like players. But why endure all the bullshit of VAR if it doesn't actually produce justice?

I can put up with shit decisions. Refs make mistakes just like players. But why endure all the bullshit of VAR if it doesn't actually produce justice?
I wouldn't mind it if the ref could review his decision and ask for support. A ref mike would also be good to listen to him. It's all open then and nothing is hidden. The final decision stays with the ref. thereby not undermining him.

I disagree about the decisions apart from the goal that was wrongly disallowed.

Prem refs are fussy. If that puts our lot off then God help us this year.

We were poor. We can learn from that and bounce back, hopefully. I personally won't dress that up as anything other than our fault, Palace were at the races, by and large we weren't.

Still robbed because of the ref and that awful decision and if we'd have got a draw, Palace would only have had themselves to blame not making their dominance count.

Would have been a fantastic point judging by how we played..

Tell me how you'd be at the "races" if every time you went near an opponent you stood a good chance of being booked? While they on the other hand had carte blanche to do what they liked.

Friend had an agenda.

No one is that bad naturally though. There is more to it than simply making mistakes and having a bad day.

If it had only been that decision and not all of the yellows and the red, it still would have been a terrible decision but I could have accepted it. He was determined to win that game for Palace.

I was furious with the ref before the controversy at the end.

McGinn was cynically pulled back early on as he burst through. Free kick given no yellow card

Taylor taken out very late by Zaha right in front of us. Free kick given no yellow card.

Douglas , innocuous foul , immediate yellow card
Freddie ditto.
Trez first foul , yellow card (second one was a definate yellow.)
Taylor first tackle yellow card
Milivojevic five fouls before he eventually got a yellow.

So many errors and inconsistencies from him , it was unreal.

He can't be allowed to ref one of our games again , and really he should be sacked.

You are being overly generous by calling them "errors". Throw in the "penalty" on McGinn at Spurs and the Bournemouth player not being sent off before he was substituted.

These are supposed to be the best referees and they have the back up of VAR. Incompetence?

No one is that bad naturally though. There is more to it than simply making mistakes and having a bad day.
Dangerous road you are taking SirDen but then you were there and you seem to watch the refs performance more than the game from your insightful posts on their various attributes and abilities or lack thereof.

It isn't the first time we've suffered at the hands of a ref and it won't be the last. Doesn't excuse the performance but moaning about it won't change the result.