Match Thread: Crystal Palace v Aston Villa, Sat 31st Aug, 3pm | Page 29 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Crystal Palace v Aston Villa, Sat 31st Aug, 3pm

You are being overly generous by calling them "errors". Throw in the "penalty" on McGinn at Spurs and the Bournemouth player not being sent off before he was substituted.

These are supposed to be the best referees and they have the back up of VAR. Incompetence?
Didn't you know that these things even themselves out over the course of a season. Everyone knows that A Villain, just listen to the competent pundits.

I disagree about the decisions apart from the goal that was wrongly disallowed.

Prem refs are fussy. If that puts our lot off then God help us this year.

We were poor. We can learn from that and bounce back, hopefully. I personally won't dress that up as anything other than our fault, Palace were at the races, by and large we weren't.

Still robbed because of the ref and that awful decision and if we'd have got a draw, Palace would only have had themselves to blame not making their dominance count.

Would have been a fantastic point judging by how we played..
Talking about the 4 bookings by half time, bound to affect individual performance a little, but agree that we need to learn that it can't affect us.

Yup, totally got you Merd. Just, personally, more worried about our performance over and above a fussy knob of a ref - as said, goal disallowed aside. That was a real blow.

This is an infuriating watch.

Dermot Gallagher, with the personality of a door handle, seems to suggest that even if it went to VAR, VAR couldn't have made a ruling on a possible simulation.

In the event that the goal stood and VAR was checked in retrospect, he says:

"VAR can check the penalty, but they can not check the simulation."

Sorry WHAT.

It's all too complicated. It should be able to be used for all or nothing and they should be able to overrule the referee.

I'm livid. We can't use it as an excuse for our performance, no. But this could just have easily have happened in a game where we have looked like world beaters and being denied three well earned points. For me, our performance shouldn't come into it.

They seem to be contradicting themselves a bit over VAR. Trust football to not be able to get this right. It should be pretty easy, add to the game, and a great way to back refs up.

Instead, like much of the modern game, it's a farce.

Dermot Gallagher, with the personality of a door handle, seems to suggest that even if it went to VAR, VAR couldn't have made a ruling on a possible simulation.

Sorry WHAT.

It's all too complicated. It should be able to be used for all or nothing and they should be able to overrule the referee.

I'm livid. We can't use it as an excuse for our performance, no. But this could just have easily have happened in a game where we have looked like world beaters and being denied three well earned points. For me, our performance shouldn't come into it.

And it has not only affected us. I think we focus on how it affects us, but Spuds have had 2 penalties turned down and drawn a game they should have lost.

They seem to be contradicting themselves a bit over VAR. Trust football to not be able to get this right. It should be pretty easy, add to the game, and a great way to back refs up.

Definitely.

Dangerous road you are taking SirDen but then you were there and you seem to watch the refs performance more than the game from your insightful posts on their various attributes and abilities or lack thereof.

It isn't the first time we've suffered at the hands of a ref and it won't be the last. Doesn't excuse the performance but moaning about it won't change the result.

No it won't but it makes me feel better lol.

It wasn't just me Saturday and you didn't have to watch the ref closely either. I think the first chant of " You're not fit to referee" went up after about 20 mins and everyone around me was commenting on us getting a red card during the first half , it was that obvious.

Probably the worst bit was when he smirked at the Villa fans when he gave them a dubious free kick right in front of us.

Agree, it should bring clarity and give the advantage to the attacking team if there is doubt.

No it won't but it makes me feel better lol.

It wasn't just me Saturday and you didn't have to watch the ref closely either. I think the first chant of " You're not fit to referee" went up after about 20 mins and everyone around me was commenting on us getting a red card during the first half , it was that obvious.

Probably the worst bit was when he smirked at the Villa fans when he gave them a dubious free kick right in front of us.
Preening? Or just getting even with us? Either way the ref is there to enhance the game. The best ones don't get every decision correct but they are consistent and clear communicators. Sounds like he was clearly communicating something to us.

I was furious with the ref before the controversy at the end.

McGinn was cynically pulled back early on as he burst through. Free kick given no yellow card

Taylor taken out very late by Zaha right in front of us. Free kick given no yellow card.

Douglas , innocuous foul , immediate yellow card
Freddie ditto.
Trez first foul , yellow card (second one was a definate yellow.)
Taylor first tackle yellow card
Milivojevic five fouls before he eventually got a yellow.

So many errors and inconsistencies from him , it was unreal.

He can't be allowed to ref one of our games again , and really he should be sacked.
And just to add, did you see when he was over by our touchline halfway through the second half when we were already at boiling point over his inconsistency he dared to smirk and smile at the villa fans as a rousing ' you're not fit to referee' was belted out......an arrogant twat of the highest order, he was loving every minute of it. I'm not a bit surprised he rounded off the afternoon with the worst decision we've had against us for many a year. And after suffering the shite in the Championship for the past three years that takes some doing......he makes Jeremy Simpson look like Pierluigi fucking Collina!

Didn't you know that these things even themselves out over the course of a season. Everyone knows that A Villain, just listen to the competent pundits.
I've never known "things" to even themselves out. Teams at the top get all the decisions going their way whether it was Liverpool or Man U in their hay days to England's opponents in numerous World Cups and Euros, apart from one Russian linesman who didn't like the Germans.

Competent pundit? Anybody who says "he went down too easily" or he's not "match fit" can hardly be competent in my book. That includes all of them.

Sorry WHAT.

That conflicts with what Keith Hackett has said today that VAR did check the incident for a penalty but said no contact. Hackett says there was clear contact, so the whole stupid system is still subjective on the big decisions and refs are bottling it and closing ranks.

What we have learned then is that VAR in it's current format is flawed. As this is its maiden season I assume changes will be made for next season .
Did rugby and cricket VAR evolve over a few seasons ? The cricket system seems brilliant to me

I was furious with the ref before the controversy at the end.

McGinn was cynically pulled back early on as he burst through. Free kick given no yellow card

Taylor taken out very late by Zaha right in front of us. Free kick given no yellow card.

Douglas , innocuous foul , immediate yellow card
Freddie ditto.
Trez first foul , yellow card (second one was a definate yellow.)
Taylor first tackle yellow card
Milivojevic five fouls before he eventually got a yellow.

So many errors and inconsistencies from him , it was unreal.

He can't be allowed to ref one of our games again , and really he should be sacked.
Don't care what anyone says he set out right from the start to deliberately fuck us up it was not an howler it was calculated that bastard Friend is fucking bent I'm still spitting feathers now he robbed us of a very special moment I was only thinking to myself a few seconds before this roof will go off if we score and boy did it was brilliant till that bastard robbed us I never wish anyone harm but I can make exceptions.

Former ref Bobby Madley, arguably the only one worse than Kevin Friend, was on Talksport earlier defending the decision. What a surprise!

And the VAR ref on Saturday was Andy Madley, his fucking brother!!

Former ref Bobby Madley, arguably the only one worse than Kevin Friend, was on Talksport earlier defending the decision. What a surprise!

And the VAR ref on Saturday was Andy Madley, his fucking brother!!

Actually, I forgot John Moss.

And Martin Atkinson.

And Craig Pawson.

And probably some others.