Match Thread: Crystal Palace v Aston Villa, Sat 31st Aug, 3pm | Page 27 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Crystal Palace v Aston Villa, Sat 31st Aug, 3pm

Luiz, Hourihane, Makamba. Who plays with McGinn and Grealish. Could Grealish fill in for Trezeguet and play all of em? I’d like to see Grealish play further forward. Not much width I suppose with Jota the only other option wide
I agree that Jack needs to be more of a forward than a midfielder. When we went down to 10 men and he pushed up, it was obvious that their defence was terrified of him and his bursting runs with the ball. He needs to do more of that and not be in the middle dictating play. Put Marv or Hourihane in a 4 man midfield with Jack up top. Having Wesley take the defenders away will create him more space. It was interesting that the good run last season coincided with DS insisting that Jack plays more in the opposing box.

I see Jack has made Garth Crook's Team of the Week. At least everybody has been on our side, and it hasn't been swept under the carpet. Wonder if the referees' bosses are having a few thoughts.
Here is the quote from Garth Crooks about the refereeing decision;

"Kevin Friend's shocking decision to disallow Henri Lansbury's 96th-minute goal after Grealish's brilliant run ranks amongst the worst decisions I've seen in years. What Friend didn't see (and I did) was Grealish get bumped by Wilfried Zaha as he entered the box which propelled Grealish to the ground. You actually see Zaha (hand raised) appeal to the referee to say no penalty. This was truly an outrageous decision."

There is no-one in the punditry that has suggested that the goal should have been disallowed and they are all lambasting Friend for his poor decision.

Surely Friend should be sacked? He argued with Grealish about the Trezeguet sending off earlier in the game and then took it out on him by taking that goal from us and booking him for diving. If we are relegated because palace finish two points higher or by a point then that is an act which has cost a business hundreds of millions of pounds. In any other business he would walk for that.

someone might have already stated this, but I just checked through our prem games so far. 2 yellow cards in three games. Friend gives us 6 in one match. There was so much wrong with that match!

someone might have already stated this, but I just checked through our prem games so far. 2 yellow cards in three games. Friend gives us 6 in one match. There was so much wrong with that match!
Apparently he supports two teams - Brizzle City and Leicester. Says it all really.

Keith Hackett saying in the press that he agrees our goal could not be given because Friend had blown his whistle but cannot understand how after being reviewed by VAR the penalty was not given as Cahill definately fouled Jack.
He wants all the elite refs called in over the international break to thrash out VAR use because the current system is untenable and making referees look stupid.
I think they manage to make themselves look stupid without the assistance of VAR.

Last edited: