Match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Lincoln City | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Lincoln City

Always sleep on it when wanting to be critical of players - but found Mandriou incredibly frustrating last night. Effort was there to be fair to him, but just wanted everything to be 'Hollywood' instead of trying to get control. He has a lot of work to do to keep place based on that performance. Hope Bishop is ok as we need him if Mandriou continues to perform this way.

Found whole of our performance frustrating once in front as well, felt like we put handbrake on.

To balance, there was certainly positives - Reeco excellent, Jensen commanding, Mitchell very good.

Shows how far we've come when disappointed with point at Charlton though.

Rhetoric without evidence is just that: rhetoric. I’ve either attended or watched on iFollow every 1st team fixture in the last five years. I cannot bring to mind any evidence of Freddie Draper playing the number 9 role in an effective, or even competent, manner. All of those games are available to rewatch somewhere on the internet. I have a big slice of humble pie in front of me for when someone posts links to clips of Draper playing well for Lincoln City.
Another curious, but common feature of the internet is how closed microcosms of the world can convince themselves that they ARE the world. I can and do shout ‘come on Lincoln’ and other supportive chants and songs at every game (though singing twist & shout when we have a corner is beyond me), regardless of the performance of Draper or any other player. It’s the team I support, not the transient occupants of any particular jersey.

Everyone is of course entitled to their opinion. I don't rate Mandroiu for example, but many others do. Until the last couple of games, I haven't rated Bishop either - but many have been saying for months he should be a first choice when fit.

However I do disagree about Draper. He has the makings of a more than decent target man at this level. His work outside the box, although not quite as good yet as House's, is excellent. Body strength, good first touch, and decent aerial power.

His finishing? For us we still don't know as since he came back from Walsall I cannot recall us making one decent chance for Freddie. If Freddie is going to be a regular starter, we need to play a style that brings out his finishing ability. We know he can score goals from his time at the Drogs and Walsall - but he won't score goals for us until we start making chances for him.

That is why I can't understand you not rating him. Have you seen him miss chances for us, because I can't remember any misses at all? Compare that with the chances Taylor has missed.

Rhetoric without evidence is just that: rhetoric. I’ve either attended or watched on iFollow every 1st team fixture in the last five years. I cannot bring to mind any evidence of Freddie Draper playing the number 9 role in an effective, or even competent, manner. All of those games are available to rewatch somewhere on the internet. I have a big slice of humble pie in front of me for when someone posts links to clips of Draper playing well for Lincoln City.
Another curious, but common feature of the internet is how closed microcosms of the world can convince themselves that they ARE the world. I can and do shout ‘come on Lincoln’ and other supportive chants and songs at every game (though singing twist & shout when we have a corner is beyond me), regardless of the performance of Draper or any other player. It’s the team I support, not the transient occupants of any particular jersey.
We all support our team.
And as far as I'm concerned Freddie is now part of it so you know where I'm going with that.

As for his good displays I would consider recent home game vs Derby as definitely one of them. First half Vs Peterborough wasn't bad either.

Draper gave Derby's Cashin a terrible time, Cashin is destined for the Premier League and Derby fans have never seen him put under that pressure before.

As others have said, if we don't create a single chance for him then how else can we rate him other than his hold up play and being a nuisance. In the games I have seen, he has been done well and in 2/3 years time he is going to be some player.

At 19, he has already worked out his strengths and you can tell he wants it. Something Makama could do with understanding.

I've almost given up hope with our corners. They've been piss poor since the DC/NC days.

I'm grateful for where we are etc etc.
But it's not just corners. We are still pretty woeful at throw in situations sometimes. It was about 8 seconds from our throw-in to Ladapo's strike.
If you watch it back there was virtually no movement, and we resorted to a fairly aimless ball down the line that a Charlton player was comforably able to head forward totally unchallenged.
In other words we gave possession away cheaply, and it led to a counter, and a goal in this case.
All goals are the result of a mistake somewhere along the line, but ceding possession from a throw in that manner is unnecessary.

"I hope we are not going to just use Draper as simply a target man and lump 20/80 balls up to him all the time" That's what I put after his first game back against Wycombe and when we do that he will struggle.
Taylor and Draper were exceptional in the league below. I don't believe the step up is so much they would struggle in League 1 so we need to work out how to use their qualities better.
The defence has been the bedrock of our better performances over the last couple of seasons. We have exceptional stoppers, obviously the main requirement for a defender, but I am fairly convinced and especially if we stick with three CBs that we need to improve the use of the ball from the back to improve enough to be promotion candidates.

"I hope we are not going to just use Draper as simply a target man and lump 20/80 balls up to him all the time" That's what I put after his first game back against Wycombe and when we do that he will struggle.
Taylor and Draper were exceptional in the league below. I don't believe the step up is so much they would struggle in League 1 so we need to work out how to use their qualities better.
The defence has been the bedrock of our better performances over the last couple of seasons. We have exceptional stoppers, obviously the main requirement for a defender, but I am fairly convinced and especially if we stick with three CBs that we need to improve the use of the ball from the back to improve enough to be promotion candidates.
We could certainly start by passing the ball via midfield on a more regular basis; utilising a number of players whose ability to handle the ball should be perfectly good enough for L1 level.

Some of that is down to the defenders to have a little more skill and calm in possession, but those midfielders can also help by working hard on clear communication and getting into good positions to receive the ball.

That is what people are commenting on, and why shouldn't they?

OK, so we came away with a point, which we all would have taken before the match, but why can't people share their views on the performance? That isn't the "usual depressing negativity on here" as you're trying to suggest. The usual depressing negativity on here is those that only come on when we lose to comment. Those that are commenting are those that offer a balance, rather than constant negativity.

As I have said, it never feels as good when you come away with just a point having been ahead.

I might be wrong, but I think he is being ironic. The implication being that the team often gets pelters when they have drawn, but performed indifferently, whereas the reaction this time is more on the positive side.