Match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Lincoln City | Page 12 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Lincoln City

Some brave tackles going in tonight. Great to see. Even Mandy was getting stuck in. It was certainly not our best work today, but we did show character and resilience. Not too disappointed. It keeps the run going.

Really frustrated tonight, to start with I'd got it in my head I was so annoyed because it was poor, but actually having given it an hour, I think I'm frustrated because it felt like they were there for the taking and for much of the game it felt like that would happen. It wasn't a bad performance just niggly little mistakes have cost us along with a bit of bad luck with some chances not going in. so all in all a decent point away!

it really does annoy me keep seeing posts about Jensen however! so many comments that he should have saved it and his kicking costs us. He was outstanding tonight! Threw himself at everything and really put his body on the line to make sure he got some big punches away! Also the Stacey West blog post the other day very much proved the 'bad kicking' comments wrong! (just to be clear this last bit isn't aimed at comments on here, not actually read any yet, just a certain social media group)

Yep, usual depressing negativity on here. We’ve come away from the Valley with a point after not playing great. How times change.

I don't think anybody is expressing the "usual depressing negativity" at all.

Everyone is different and has their own opinion but the general consensus is that it wasn't one of our best nights in terms of performance but we scored a great goal and we didn't get beat, we put a point on the board and we go against another beatable team again on Saturday, Exeter.

I'm not speaking for anyone else but if you've got any semblance of balanced opinion within you thats probably how alot of people judged that performance...and that would be about right.

Really frustrated tonight, to start with I'd got it in my head I was so annoyed because it was poor, but actually having given it an hour, I think I'm frustrated because it felt like they were there for the taking and for much of the game it felt like that would happen. It wasn't a bad performance just niggly little mistakes have cost us along with a bit of bad luck with some chances not going in. so all in all a decent point away!

it really does annoy me keep seeing posts about Jensen however! so many comments that he should have saved it and his kicking costs us. He was outstanding tonight! Threw himself at everything and really put his body on the line to make sure he got some big punches away! Also the Stacey West blog post the other day very much proved the 'bad kicking' comments wrong! (just to be clear this last bit isn't aimed at comments on here, not actually read any yet, just a certain social media group)
Welcome to the forum! Hopefully, if you plough through the match thread and look at the MoM and Player Ratings threads, you'll see plenty of appreciation of Jensen's performance tonight.

Well if you can't win, don't lose - or something like that.

Felt it was a game where our defenders and goalkeeper stood out. Thought O'Connor was excellent, particularly in the first half - dealt with their threats very well and looked commanding and in control.

Charlton huffed and puffed but looked like a team in and around the relegation places to me. We did well to absorb their threat mind you, and particularly with a noisy crowd desperate for them to get the three points.

Felt for Joe Taylor, he ran his socks off but he just wasn't getting any change from their defenders, plus he wasn't getting the best service from our midfield.

The disappointment for me (and Skubala alluded to it in his interview) was how we couldn't keep the ball in the midfield and play it up the pitch more in the second half. To me we looked scared to keep the ball, in the midfield preferring to punt it forward rather than just keep it/being considered and incisive. Saying that, there were flashes of good stuff from us, via Hackett and others down our left.

Mandriou is baffling to me, yes I get he's a certain type of player but he needs to impose himself a bit more/get up for it. And I don't mean he needs to be more physical (he'll never be that) rather he needs to be more proactive and force himself into the game and take the initiative.

We take the point and move on.

We weren't great they weren't great so it's a fair result.

I honestly doubt that Charlton under Jones will have any problems to avoid the drop. They're lot better than their position / point tally. Once they will get back confidence killed by stone island warrior they'll be fine.

This point is definitely good.
Without our strongest eleven, away from home and while not being at our best ?
I'll take it ..

Watched on Ifollow last night. As always, a good point on the road, but we really weren’t at the races. For me we were not settling on the ball playing long down the channels too often and losing possession every time. However, it’s now 6 unbeaten and another point in the bag. A good first half where they produced very little and we deservedly took the lead through a wonderful Hacket strike. The second half was very poor. Charlton took the game to us and other than Joes great run and Mandriou superb shot off the post, it was a case of very solid defending. A fantastic block from Jenson at the end from Tayo ensured we didn’t lose that point. Hackett was my mom but a massive shout for Jenson too. On to Sat and the Grecians UTI 💥👏

Solid away point given the circumstances - new manager for the opposition, first home game, having to manage the minutes of Draper/House and the lack of options in CM. Keeps things ticking over.

Jenson looks ever so slightly out of position for their goal, which he probably saves otherwise but a good save from Edun's effort.

Going back home last night, felt quite disappointed, particularly after what seemed like a passive, backs to the wall 2nd half where we created so little going forward. A bit different this morning, as others have said there are positives to take from the undeaten run, point away from home in quite difficult coircumstances etc, so overall another point on the board and on to the next one.

I suppose the next stage in our development is to kill off a game like that in the first half where we are on top but that will come in time - in time for Saturday?!!

Was at the game tonight. We were mostly pretty good I thought, but - and I'm sorry to say this - Mandroiu was utter crap
Mandroiu worries me too, there are two Dannys apparently and you can't be sure which one you're going to get. Apart from that glorious strike only denied by the woodwork, he was a bit 'headless chicken' at times and seemed disengaged once or twice. Maybe he's one of those who needs a solid midfield to work off and finds himself at a loose end in a starting XI such as last night's. He needs to keep a rein on his temper, too, or he'll be ruling himself out of the squad!

Mandroiu worries me too, there are two Dannys apparently and you can't be sure which one you're going to get. Apart from that glorious strike only denied by the woodwork, he was a bit 'headless chicken' at times and seemed disengaged once or twice. Maybe he's one of those who needs a solid midfield to work off and finds himself at a loose end in a starting XI such as last night's. He needs to keep a rein on his temper, too, or he'll be ruling himself out of the squad!
I thought Mandy did ok last night. He put a fair shift in and was disciplined in the framework of the formation we played. He made a few tough challenges and covered runs from their midfield. He also produced that superb free kick that bent like a banana to hit the post. To play a side containing all the flair of Bish, Mandy and Reeco and getting the workrate and a battling point when we were backs to the wall is a good achievement for the management.

Our midfield is considerably poorer for the absence of Hamilton. You can’t expect to carry three mercurial players (Reeco, Mandroiou & Bishop) in that part of the park and exert any consistent control.
At least all three contributed, though. I’m curious to see for how long the utterly hopeless Draper keeps his apologists onside. Oh, he’s ’one of our own’. That’s alright then.

I’m curious to see for how long the utterly hopeless Draper keeps his apologists onside. Oh, he’s ’one of our own’. That’s alright then.

Not sure if your being totally serious here Steve or your just looking for a rise.

I have watched Drapers development closely.
When he first came into the team he was like a little boy lost but since he has gone out on loan to Drogheda then Walsall, gained that experience as well as his natural body development as he has got a bit older those experience have done him the world of good.

I don't think anyone on here would describe him as the finished article by a long way but he is still a very young player and I think everyone can see the potential in him.

He seems a very level headed young man and I think he knows where he's at and will continue to work hard to first of all establish himself as a first team regular in our team and then see that's where that takes him.

He has all the attributes as a centre forward to be a very good player. He's strong, can hold the ball up and bring other players into the game, can challenge in the air and is one of those type of players that a House or Taylor can thrive playing off.

Yes he needs a goal but Draper may not be a prolific scorer, he may chip in with goals but may be one of those players who another player playing up alongside of thrives off. We will have to wait and see on that.

There's no way you could give up on him already, he's just starting out and still on a massive learning curve and would be the first to acknowledge that.

You will get games last night where he probably wasn't involved but I think that transpired from other areas of the pitch where we struggled to get the ball and players up the pitch to support the front men.

He needs to be given a lot more time but I think Draper will be a huge asset for the club and will eventually earn us a heck of a lot of money.

Our midfield is considerably poorer for the absence of Hamilton. You can’t expect to carry three mercurial players (Reeco, Mandroiou & Bishop) in that part of the park and exert any consistent control.
At least all three contributed, though. I’m curious to see for how long the utterly hopeless Draper keeps his apologists onside. Oh, he’s ’one of our own’. That’s alright then.
That's extreme even like for my standards.

Freddie is very far from being finished article but at the same time even further from being hopeless...

And yes he is (sort of..) one of our own.
That means he should be getting our full support.
Not nonsense like this after a game in which nobody really played well.

Rhetoric without evidence is just that: rhetoric. I’ve either attended or watched on iFollow every 1st team fixture in the last five years. I cannot bring to mind any evidence of Freddie Draper playing the number 9 role in an effective, or even competent, manner. All of those games are available to rewatch somewhere on the internet. I have a big slice of humble pie in front of me for when someone posts links to clips of Draper playing well for Lincoln City.
Another curious, but common feature of the internet is how closed microcosms of the world can convince themselves that they ARE the world. I can and do shout ‘come on Lincoln’ and other supportive chants and songs at every game (though singing twist & shout when we have a corner is beyond me), regardless of the performance of Draper or any other player. It’s the team I support, not the transient occupants of any particular jersey.