Match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Lincoln City | Page 11 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Lincoln City

Poor game and poor 2nd half in particular from us. Take the point, as we were close to going home with none.

And someone lock Hone in a box.

Yes, happy with a point. Might have been different if Mandroiu's free kick had gone in, but otherwise a fair result. We weren't at our best with a side not at full strength and there was a lack of punch up front - did their goalkeeper have a save to make apart from the one he didn't?

Jensen man of the match for me - I don't see why Mark Hone thinks he ought to have saved that shot - ahead of O'Connor whose unfortunately only duff moment led to their goal. Hackett also did well (in addition to scoring).

Never turn down a point away from home but just feeling a bit frustrated about our quality with the ball tonight. Too many loose and forced passes when in theory we had more technical ballers than usual throughout the 100 minutes - Reeco a notable exception who showed how it should be done.

Charlton are just a big, ugly desperate side which is a poor reflection on where they are as a club given their probable budget. Unfortunately I felt we got dragged down to their level of a scrap (not helped by a weak referee imo); although on the flip side given the aforementioned change of dynamic of our midfielders, the players can certainly take credit for the battling side of the game.
Jensen in particular did everything you want your keeper to do in that type of game and I was very impressed with his decision making in particular. He was a rock tonight.

A game which with a bit more quality with the ball we could have won, ended in a deserved battling draw.

Last edited:
I don’t think tonight is a reflection of where we are necessarily heading in the future, but another decent point and now unbeaten in six. Let’s not forget it was Nathan Jones 1st home game.

I think we know we lack a bit of quality in certain areas to trouble the top 7 currently, and in the summer we can look to keep improving. Really positive that we are a lot stronger since the start of January, and that’s good enough for a 10-14th finish which is very commendable.

We definitely missed that control in cm today with no McG or Hamilton. We’re doing OK but once Bishop went off it showed we had one true cm when attacking and defending. Yet we still almost went 2 up!

Ground out a useful away point and we move on to Saturday/hope no one else is out injured.

Disappointing after leading for so long but I'd have taken a point before kick-off so not too bad. This was a difficult fixture with a new manager and an expectant home crowd so well done really you Imps.

Yes, happy with a point. Might have been different if Mandroiu's free kick had gone in, but otherwise a fair result. We weren't at our best with a side not at full strength and there was a lack of punch up front - did their goalkeeper have a save to make apart from the one he didn't?

Jensen man of the match for me - I don't see why Mark Hone thinks he ought to have saved that shot - ahead of O'Connor whose unfortunately only duff moment led to their goal. Hackett also did well (in addition to scoring).

Hone thought that I think from texts/tweets from people watching on iFollow.

The shot did look to go through him rather than beat him, but without slowing down a replay its hard to be sure. Apart from that though, Jensen was outstanding.

Mandriou's decision making was mainly poor throughout, he's frustrating to say the least as has bags of talent but remains an enigma. He should have been seeking out Taylor and Draper but nothing happened.

He and Teddy in midfield/twin 10s didn't work tonight, a missed opportunity for Danny.

Blimey, feels a bit down in the dumps on here. It's never great watching from behind the goal but I thought we did ok, they were very route one which we stood up to pretty well. We carried a threat on the break and held firm under pressure at the end despite missing several players.

Bare in mind they've got good players and a high calibre new manager, it was a bad time to get them. All in all, a good hard earned point.

Tonight was really good.

Each to their own but if you are ever going to do any good, you need to be able to be "piss poor" in some people's eyes and still not get beaten.

Good signs.

Like the look of Moylan...for the future.

Match crying out for the likes of Jackson, Hamilton and McGrandles but the "soft flair players" dug in and refused to lose.

Blimey, feels a bit down in the dumps on here. It's never great watching from behind the goal but I thought we did ok, they were very route one which we stood up to pretty well. We carried a threat on the break and held firm under pressure at the end despite missing several players.

Bare in mind they've got good players and a high calibre new manager, it was a bad time to get them. All in all, a good hard earned point.

Yep, usual depressing negativity on here. We’ve come away from the Valley with a point after not playing great. How times change.

Yep, usual depressing negativity on here. We’ve come away from the Valley with a point after not playing great. How times change.
That is what people are commenting on, and why shouldn't they?

OK, so we came away with a point, which we all would have taken before the match, but why can't people share their views on the performance? That isn't the "usual depressing negativity on here" as you're trying to suggest. The usual depressing negativity on here is those that only come on when we lose to comment. Those that are commenting are those that offer a balance, rather than constant negativity.

As I have said, it never feels as good when you come away with just a point having been ahead.

I think it's more a recognition that we rarely hit a rhythm tonight, Charlton dragged us down to their level and under a new manager and getting the crowd on side 2nd half, that was a solid and hard earned point.

We missed Jacko in defence and Hamilton/McGrandles in the midfield engine room, clearly had to manage other players time which seemed to be well handled, hoping Teddy is ok.

The whole team worked and grafted and put bodies on the line, and that commitment came over loud and clear on iFollow.

Didn't think we deserved more than a point based on our 2nd half display. We were fine in the first half, but the moment you can't keep the ball you invite pressure and that's exactly what happened. For me we demonstrated that we were missing that experience in the middle of the park that Skubala talked about before the transfer window. If either Hamilton or McGrandles were available tonight I think we probably nick that game by virtue of hanging onto the ball a bit longer and having an extra player to compete better physically.