Match Thread: Bolton Wanderers v Lincoln City | Page 30 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Bolton Wanderers v Lincoln City

Looked half decent going forwards till we get to the penalty box. Creating chances that don't get taken but that keystone cops routine at the back is worrying. Different players, same old result.

A draw would have been a fair result. Two glorious chances missed and our failure to defend high balls from corners and our Swansea on the right loanee,s inability to tackle cost us. Bishop added some creativity to midfield Sort the fallibility out and we will move forward

Last edited:
He was also good against Sunderland ~ defensively too. Bit weird since then, does look half committed for some reason. At least he is just a loan player. And at least Marquis is just on a short deal.
Marquis is more than good enough - he just needs a bit of a slap and being told to focus. Same with most the squad tbh. Don’t think any of them aren’t good enough

This will not be received kindly, but the manager must prey to a statue of Brennan Johnson every night. If not for that boy, I’m not sure he’d still be in a job. Meanwhile, Jez George must prey to a statue of Michael Appleton preying to a statue of Brennan Johnson. If not for Appleton‘s links, I’m also not sure Jez would be in a job.

I bet you couldn't wait to post that. Pathetic.

This will not be received kindly, but the manager must prey to a statue of Brennan Johnson every night. If not for that boy, I’m not sure he’d still be in a job. Meanwhile, Jez George must prey to a statue of Michael Appleton preying to a statue of Brennan Johnson. If not for Appleton‘s links, I’m also not sure Jez would be in a job.

I don't recall us being a one man team last year. What I do recall is several match threads after we had lost citing Johnson as not being bothered. Bit of deja-vu going on now

Another frustrating night, poor performances by several players, and two very good ones. But two incidents sum that up for me:

a) on 87 minutes, at 3-1 down, Lincoln get a free kick in Bolton's half; the ball is passed backwards and four seconds later is with Josh Griffiths;

b) on 90 minutes, at 3-1 down, Lincoln get a corner; the ball is played short and three seconds later Bolton have a goal kick.

Here is something insightful: you can't score if the ball is with your own goalkeeper, and you can't score with the ball by the corner flag.

Why didn't they just get the ball into the box? Who knows, is it beyond the bounds of possibility that they could have scored two more goals had they done so?

Another frustrating night, poor performances by several players, and two very good ones. But two incidents sum that up for me:

a) on 87 minutes, at 3-1 down, Lincoln get a free kick in Bolton's half; the ball is passed backwards and four seconds later is with Josh Griffiths;

b) on 90 minutes, at 3-1 down, Lincoln get a corner; the ball is played short and three seconds later Bolton have a goal kick.

Here is something insightful: you can't score if the ball is with your own goalkeeper, and you can't score with the ball by the corner flag.

Why didn't they just get the ball into the box? Who knows, is it beyond the bounds of possibility that they could have scored two more goals had they done so?

I am afraid your sound reason and logic is not consistent with his brand of football.

Well pre match I though were are poor this year and in a relegation fight. I still do so nothing has changed.

our best chance is that we run out if games by which we can lose and the teams below us run of matches where they can gain points

Let's just calm down a bit.
We have been beaten by a decent side tonight who I think will make the playoffs if they can play like that every week.
I hate the c**ts because of what they stand for but that's football.
We have to forget about everything now apart from maintaining that 5 point gap that we currently have to the relegation places.
We are deep into a relegation battle and there are certain players in that team tonight that I wouldn't want or wouldn't trust in the trenches next to me during a battle.
Are we in the territory of must win games yet? Probably not quite but we are getting there. We need to win on Saturday simply because its a team currently below us and the last thing we need is to be offering hope to sides that are below us. It's still all in our own hands but ffs have we got to fucking wake up and smell the coffee.
I'm demanding commitment and passion and anybody who can't give us that please just fuck off.

The galling thing is we could have got a point at 1-1 and away from home decent. Should have seen the game out at that point.