Match Thread: Blackpool v Lincoln City | Page 31 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Blackpool v Lincoln City

The Gazette; Blackpool 2-3 Lincoln City: Seasiders inexplicably lose for third game in four matches after horror final five minutes
Blackpool inexplicably squandered the lead on two occasions before suffering a horror final five minutes to lose at home to Lincoln City.
By Matt Scrafton
Matt I could help explain it for you, probably only take a couple of minutes!

The Gazette; Blackpool 2-3 Lincoln City: Seasiders inexplicably lose for third game in four matches after horror final five minutes
Blackpool inexplicably squandered the lead on two occasions before suffering a horror final five minutes to lose at home to Lincoln City.
By Matt Scrafton
Matt I could help explain it for you, probably only take a couple of minutes!

Matt is a City fan, and a good lad to boot.

I missed the first twenty minutes as I had to go out but what a match! We look absolutely electric at times going forward. The pace and precision of our work is on a another level. We currently have the benefit of better fitness to see us through in the latter stages of matches, but you’d assume that this gap will narrow as the season progresses.

I missed the first Blackpool goal and haven’t watched it back yet but hear that Bridcutt was at fault. He was outstanding in what I saw and appears the true leader he’s been lauded as.

Johnson is way too good for us. I was on the edge of my seat every time he got the ball. He’ll be missed next week, no doubt, but we’ve got it covered with Harry’s resurgence.

Grant was again sublime. Montsma, I’d be happy to have up front. We got found out at the back again. There were at least five guys behind the ball for their second goal. Sooner, probably rather than later, we’ll be punished heavily for our defensive shortcomings. It’s one thing to concede given our high press, but poor defending is a different matter. Our defending in open play is generally good, but at set pieces we look particularly vulnerable. I don’t think it’s any of the players as such, just a bit of a lack of discipline and organisation, which will undoubtedly be addressed.

It’s fantastic to see the drive and fight we displayed when we were behind and it was genuinely exciting to watch throughout. I don’t expect us to continue this good run of form for much longer but I’m certainly enjoying it while it lasts.

Or it could be the head coach at forest hasn't a clue what he's doing and is about to be sacked because of it, 7 defeats in a row and no win in 11.

I was as excited as everyone else when Johnson got the ball, but apart from getting fouled and winning corners, did he actually have much of a final decision during the game?

Maybe that is why he hasn't yet nailed down a position in a Championship team.

Pretty sure he will get there at some point, but on this showing, I can see why he needs the games to develop and learn. Not unlike Anderson until this season.

I am here to be shot down in flames if someone comes up with stats to show that my memory of the game is incomplete, but I think it is something worth bringing up.

I was as excited as everyone else when Johnson got the ball, but apart from getting fouled and winning corners, did he actually have much of a final decision during the game?

Pretty sure he will get there at some point, but on this showing, I can see why he needs the games to develop and learn. Not unlike Anderson until this season.

I am here to be shot down in flames if someone comes up with stats to show that my memory of the game is incomplete, but I think it is something worth bringing up.
Spot on - he made a hesitant start and seemed on a different wavelength occasionally, noticeable that TJ seemed more comfortable once Harry A was on his wing.

But Johnson is an exciting talent, he showed why the club worked so hard to bring him in and why he needs to be playing, and learning, at this level.

Apart from getting fouled twice in the box, I suppose he didn’t do a great deal

Apart from getting fouled twice in the box, I suppose he didn’t do a great deal

My point isn't that he didn't do a lot, or that he wasn't exciting or influential, just that I don't remember seeing any open play end product in this particular game.

My point isn't that he didn't do a lot, or that he wasn't exciting or influential, just that I don't remember seeing any open play end product in this particular game.
Harsh imo. You have to count those two penalties. And the two or three times he was fouled when running at them on the counter attack. he can’t do ‘end product’ if he is being fouled. He also had a shot just over in the first half.

Spot on - he made a hesitant start and seemed on a different wavelength occasionally, noticeable that TJ seemed more comfortable once Harry A was on his wing.
Anderson is very good at getting back into position to support the right back. He doesn't have to tackle or make interceptions etc so it sometimes isn't obvious but with his fitness and recovery getting back time after time it limits the how many defensive options TJ has to cover.

What I liked was how positive we were after 2nd penalty, grabbing the ball to get the game restarted, no settling for a draw, which in the circumstances would have been a good result.
Oh and the 1st pen an early contender for the clearest pen of the year?

I understand Grant running back with the ball was a visible sign of our urgency.

But the urgency and energy that Johnson showed in closing down and winning the ball and then the penalty was infinitely more important.

But that in itself was just an example of the overall quality of our play and condition of our players, which means that in these early games, we are often at our most effective as the game reaches its final stages.

Anderson is very good at getting back into position to support the right back. He doesn't have to tackle or make interceptions etc so it sometimes isn't obvious but with his fitness and recovery getting back time after time it limits the how many defensive options TJ has to cover.

The remarkable thing is that Harry can apparently do this while keeping the opposition full back pinned back due to his energy, fitness and pace. This is an incredible asset in a wide player

One thing on this theme I noticed: Blackpool changed their left back / left wing set up, possibly to deal with Johnson. Couple of minutes later, MA brings on Harry A, shifting formation to more of a 442, negating the Blackpool change and letting Johnson loose on tiring centre backs, as the second penalty showed.

Tactical masterstroke? Whether a response to the Blackpool change or pre planned around the hour, it highlighted the flexibility of the squad and the ability of different players to bring different skills to a similar role.

The online echo piece already mentions about Johnson and the possibility of Forest wanting him back in January if they keep doing so badly. I imagine they will have a new manager in at the City Ground if things carry on the way they are.