Match Thread: Accrington Stanley v Lincoln City | Page 24 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Accrington Stanley v Lincoln City

Just seen post match with Appleton. Don’t think we will see Shack and Eards next week. Possibly Bolger as well?

andrade toffolo and o'connor were all out of contract in the summer better to cash in .now. not sure about Ja maybe happier down south nearer home. would we have been any higher with the cowleys who knows . we probably couldnt have competed monetary how they wanted too. I think ma will be ok

So there is nothing you would change about recent games?

If I was the manager I would be making decisions that some people would agree with and some people disagree with just as Michael Appleton is now.
But I dont have to make the decisions, my neck is not on the line I can come on here and say what I like knowing that what I say is just an opinion and there will be no repercussions from it.
This is Appletons job, his career and it can be a lonely job when things aren't going quite right and everybody is giving you an opinion on platforms like this but what you have to remember is that the team you would probably pick never loses because it never plays, that's the difference.
I will criticise as much as anyone if I think the manager or the club warrant it but you cant be jumping on Appletons back yet. He needs a fair crack of the whip and a bit of tolerance and patience.
Yeah there are things I'm not 100% with but I will give him time and a chance to overhaul the squad and define the playing style.
Once that is complete and we have a period of results to judge him by we will still be giving our opinions but it will be the board who will decide whether Michael Appleton is still the manager of this club or not.

Back home after a very wet day and ultimately frustrating end to the game. I will catch up on this in a bit but before seeing what others have put my drive home has allowed me to think over that seven goal game. One where credit should be given to both teams for having a go in that second half when the weather was probably as bad as I can recall seeing a game played in but one where we've contrived to lose a game we probably should have won.
Accrington ended up being quite fortunate in that the gale certainly helped them late second half whereas before that it had been largely swirling in all directions. You have to say though that they decided to use that wind to good purpose whilst we struggled to clear our lines. The winner needed a proper tackle or block though and the defences failure to prevent their player running through them is very disappointing.
Some pluses though for me. Scully will cause opponents plenty of problems and I thought Hesketh put in a really good shift. Lewis on the right side of midfield is a good option as Harry is going through his traditional post Christmas slump in form. Also think Hopper can lead the line on his own based on today but I suspect he won't get a terrific amount of goals as a lone striker.
So ultimately a frustrating end to the game which was entertaining in a strange weather affected way

Wasn't at the game and only just been able to watch the highlights. Difficult based on those to see what Eardley did wrong, but Bolger doesn't seem to have covered himself in any glory with weak headers and missed tackles. Shackell has a mare for the own goal, but at least redeems himself with a very good goal. What on earth Edun is doing for the third goal I don't know, all he had to do was use his left foot.

Can see Eardley and probably Shackell surviving, but fully expect to see Bostwick and Melbourne back in the back four, although given Appleton's post match comments it could be an interesting week and team sheet next Saturday.

Wasn't at the game and only just been able to watch the highlights. Difficult based on those to see what Eardley did wrong, but Bolger doesn't seem to have covered himself in any glory with weak headers and missed tackles. Shackell has a mare for the own goal, but at least redeems himself with a very good goal. What on earth Edun is doing for the third goal I don't know, all he had to do was use his left foot.

Can see Eardley and probably Shackell surviving, but fully expect to see Bostwick and Melbourne back in the back four, although given Appleton's post match comments it could be an interesting week and team sheet next Saturday.
Correction to above..... Edun should have used his RIGHT foot!!!

There was plenty of negativity at times last season, so now the inevitable 'bad season (albeit currently in our best league position since, what, 1984?) Its heading towards pandemic status in some quarters.

There was a guy behind me this afternoon who criticised everything, very loudly, the 'best' being when Vickers very sensibly punched out a free kick and did so very effectively, Mr Happy launches into a tirade about not catching it.

But theres always been someone like that near us, come rain or shine. We're all entitled to our opinions and entitled to express them, but I do find constant negative moaning so depressing.

You must have been quite close to me then. Very loud gent who I assume was also the one who thought it would be a good idea to rattle the back of the stand constantly. Didn't have a positive word to say all match

Just waded my way through this thread. The attitude of some on here seems to be bury our heads in the sand and all hold hands while we skip merrily to the cliff edge of relegation back to league 2 and possibly beyond. All the while chanting the mantras of:
We are 15 points clear of relegation and can't go down. (do you want to bet, look at our history).
Appleton had a bad start at Oxford and turned it around. (As though that's any guarantee he can do the same here).
We have a long term plan of recruiting and developing young players to sell on and it's bound to work (yes, all plans work out don't they).
This player or that show signs of promise. (we still keep losing though)
The indisputable fact is that at the moment things aren't working. Whether we can turn that around this season and in the longer term I don't know. After 56 years of supporting this club my instincts suggest probably not.

We are 15 points clear of relegation and can't go down. (do you want to bet, look at our history).
Appleton had a bad start at Oxford and turned it around. (As though that's any guarantee he can do the same here).
We have a long term plan of recruiting and developing young players to sell on and it's bound to work (yes, all plans work out don't they).
Let's ditch this plan (that, as you say worked at Oxford) and try another :silly:

Of course we could go down, but in almost all probability we won't.

Catching up after a real drenching and a somewhat frightening drive home.

Plenty of positives today despite another defeat; as Jules said as we were leaving, we would have won that game had that appalling weather been behind us in the second half instead of Accrington. What must it have been like to try to defend into the face of that? It was bad enough for us under the stand.

Scully looks dangerous and full of energy; Edun has some real class for a 21-year-old just out of academy football and is surely a left-sided midfielder rather than a defender; Hopper had his best game so far after a quiet start; Lewis impressed me yet again, this time in a different position - perhaps we have found a new right winger / midfielder; Lewis and Scully have their first goals in the EFL, and they will both score lots more; we could (and should) have scored more than three goals today; and Riiik forecast both Vickers' penalty save and our third goal - we have found a new Mystic Meg for the site too.

Disappointed by another defeat? Yes. Disheartened? Far from it.

Just waded my way through this thread. The attitude of some on here seems to be bury our heads in the sand and all hold hands while we skip merrily to the cliff edge of relegation back to league 2 and possibly beyond. All the while chanting the mantras of:
This player or that show signs of promise. (we still keep losing though)
The indisputable fact is that at the moment things aren't working. Whether we can turn that around this season and in the longer term I don't know. After 56 years of supporting this club my instincts suggest probably not.

Not sure chanting the mantra "we are doomed" "we are doomed"

is a more logical outlook on the present situation

than those of us "burying our head in the sand"

and thinking there is a realistic chance of us being

a modestly better side in League 1, this time next year, than we are now.

Back home after a very wet day and ultimately frustrating end to the game. I will catch up on this in a bit but before seeing what others have put my drive home has allowed me to think over that seven goal game. One where credit should be given to both teams for having a go in that second half when the weather was probably as bad as I can recall seeing a game played in but one where we've contrived to lose a game we probably should have won.
Accrington ended up being quite fortunate in that the gale certainly helped them late second half whereas before that it had been largely swirling in all directions. You have to say though that they decided to use that wind to good purpose whilst we struggled to clear our lines. The winner needed a proper tackle or block though and the defences failure to prevent their player running through them is very disappointing.
Some pluses though for me. Scully will cause opponents plenty of problems and I thought Hesketh put in a really good shift. Lewis on the right side of midfield is a good option as Harry is going through his traditional post Christmas slump in form. Also think Hopper can lead the line on his own based on today but I suspect he won't get a terrific amount of goals as a lone striker.
So ultimately a frustrating end to the game which was entertaining in a strange weather affected way
Agree with all of that, except for Hesketh, who I thought had an awful game and brought nothing to the side. Created nothing and just did a lot of running around to no effect. I kept saying he needed to be replaced by Payne.