Match Thread: Accrington Stanley v Lincoln City | Page 23 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Accrington Stanley v Lincoln City

Just got back so not read all the posts.
An even game that, as Warrington Imp above says, it wasn't too bad in the first half but unfortunately the weather favoured Stanley in the second.
Great penalty save by Josh and the passing out from the back was good considering the conditions.
At 3-3 it had a feeling of inevitability that the next goal would be the winner and so it was.
Both teams deserve a medal for putting on such a goal fest with the state of the weather in the second half.

There was plenty of negativity at times last season, so now the inevitable 'bad season (albeit currently in our best league position since, what, 1984?) Its heading towards pandemic status in some quarters.

There was a guy behind me this afternoon who criticised everything, very loudly, the 'best' being when Vickers very sensibly punched out a free kick and did so very effectively, Mr Happy launches into a tirade about not catching it.

But theres always been someone like that near us, come rain or shine. We're all entitled to our opinions and entitled to express them, but I do find constant negative moaning so depressing.

Preparing for next season surely? Could have done nothing I guess and start from scratch in the Summer wasting 6 months?

I feel the change has been too much too soon.

I would rather have a few more points in the board before we try to reinvent the wheel

Hardly as I said this morning I want him to succeed but it’s not looking great. It’s ok saying it will get worse before it gets better but when does it get better?

We got better (under the unaffordable in the long run model) in 3 months, 6-0 defeat v Oxford to beating Ipswich 5-3.

We then decided the best time to getting cracking on a 3/4 YEAR plan (to see if its possible to get near the Championship in an affordable way) was January 2020. At the end of the month phase 1 of your recruitment was done.

I would take a look about every 15 games check for some improvement and expect a discernible improvement in about a years time.

Not 2 weeks after you start.

I don’t think anything is being undone, getting into this league was hard enough, staying in this league will be even harder. However, continuing to throw money at the project as per the last three years requires a lot more new investment. Therefore, a change to what old and new supporters have been use to. Consolidation in this league is key moving forward. The next step at this time for our club is a bridge too far. That’s not to say it won’t happen it probably will, MApp has set his stall out with a long enough contract to get us there and said as much himself. I’m sure he is older and wiser in football management terms to get us there. Clearly, there will be ups and downs but we all have to stick with it, he has inherited a side that is not his own bar the additions in January, I would suggest the defence will look totally different come next season. I’m not interested in fist pumps, hype or what schools are being visited, what counts is what is happening on the training ground in developing the team, a team that will have a totally different spine to it next season. If we loose season ticket renewals or supporters along the way sobeit just shows how committed they really were. At least they’ll have the Arsenal programme to look at.

Community spirit and higher gates helped us get to were we are at, we need as much money coming in as we can get.

Can’t read much but into that’s today. Freak conditions, freak game. I do find our substitutions odd. As soon we we’d scored the third, I’d have had Bossie on screening the back four.
Some of Appleton’s subs over recent weeks have been strange

God this is getting friggin boring.
Can we all agree on this please.
We had 3, literally unbelievable seasons under our previous manager.
We have gone from being a club that was on the verge of imploding into part time 5th or 6th tier team or even disappearing altogether to a club trying to establish itself in League 1.
We have a NEW manager who is currently introducing us to a new footballing style and is also trying to change personel to players who he thinks will be able to do this for him.
He needs time to be able put his fully laiden plans to us. This is going to take at least 2 or 3 transfer windows and this summers pre season is going to be massive part of his rebuilding of the squad.
Three months or so into NEXT SEASON will be the time to start asking questions and judging. The manager will have had the majority of players he can afford according to our budget and this will be his team and his tactics and that's when he can be held fully to account for the results we are achieving.
Let's hope we are doing well as if we aren't the board will have a decision to make, to either to back him or sack him.

We have gone from being a club that was on the verge of imploding into part time 5th or 6th tier team or even disappearing altogether to a club trying to establish itself in League 1.
We have a NEW manager who is currently introducing us to a new footballing style and is also trying to change personel to players who he thinks will be able to do this for him.
He needs time to be able put his fully laiden plans to us. This is going to take at least 2 or 3 transfer windows and this summers pre season is going to be massive part of his rebuilding of the squad.
Three months or so into NEXT SEASON will be the time to start asking questions and judging. The manager will have had the majority of players he can afford according to our budget and this will be his team and his tactics and that's when he can be held fully to account for the results we are achieving.
Let's hope we are doing well as if we aren't the board will have a decision to make, to either to back him or sack him.

So there is nothing you would change about recent games?

Even if it is about next season, some of the subs/team selection may start leading to question marks.

And they are who will judge what "doing well" looks like. Not the glory hunting fan or the dyed-in-the-wool old stalwarts, although the later will be far more accepting of a lower form of doing well!!

Add in losing Tofollo and Andrade for nothing and not having that money in the summer, to avoid relegation by a few more points than we most likely will?
The point I was about to make - add O'Connor to that too, with Bridcutt a very Cowley-esque upgrade, even if just to the end of the season.

Yes we are missing Toff in particular, and I would add Big John too, he'd have been useful today, but his departure clearly had a big personal element to it.

Sensible business.