Match thread - a bit of luck helps. | Page 18 | Vital Football

Match thread - a bit of luck helps.

I don't know hat it's like in the Nottingham area but where I live even pre Covid all the local football had disappeared we used to have thriving Saturday leagues, Sunday, leagues, youth leagues but now sadly long gone it really is very sad that people can't be bothered with it any more plus of course alot of the facilities / pitches / playing fields have gone

I don't know hat it's like in the Nottingham area but where I live even pre Covid all the local football had disappeared we used to have thriving Saturday leagues, Sunday, leagues, youth leagues but now sadly long gone it really is very sad that people can't be bothered with it any more plus of course alot of the facilities / pitches / playing fields have gone

Why do we need recreation when we can have penthouse apartments and watch millionaire footballers on TV?

Times change but I still watch our local amateur Saturday games, the same club that all of our boys played for , and it's a decent standard. I gave the game away years ago, too busy and eventually too old. Carried on with basketball until mid fifties and stopped squash at 65, got a smack in the eye and a bawling out from my wife.
It's hard to give it all away.

I calmed down as I got older (some would laugh at that comment) - still occasionally play Sunday mornings, but nearly 50 now - so, takes too long to recover.

I still play Vets football Orb (which you may enjoy) - really decent standard and lots of ex professionals play, with some really good pitches.

Best part is the post match pints!
I'd love to be able to play vets football but i can't even go for a jog with my leg as it is.
Still gives me a lot of problems despite having it operated on about 4 years ago.
Better than it was but nowhere near good enough for any kind of sport other than darts or snooker !
Just need it good enough to be able to still work.
Darren Huckerby plays vets football regularly against our local side Thetford Town, still flying about like a 20 year old :oops:

Yep exactly the same has happened around my area.

Back in the day I was a milkman and I'd play 3 times a week. Northern Dairies in the Thursday league, Saturday afternoon with Babbington Colliery and Sunday afternoon with Basford Hall MW. Used to limp round on a Monday morning.

Some great stories lads. I played in the UCL, so a bit further south than the Notts leagues. UCL was Northants, Beds, Lincolnshire, Bucks, and a bit of Leicestershire. Being from Corby we were always the teams handing it out to the others :-). They all thought we were crazed pseudo Scots who wanted a war every time we played.
Some very tasty moments when football was football. Now aged 50 and still playing in Canada, I can't shake that mentality and get into bother even now in our 035 leagues.
Can't for the life of me understand why these 'tough' ice hockey players whinge about a little bit of contact, and with Toronto being very multicultural, fellow 40+ year olds from eastern europe, Turkey, Italy, Armenia, South America lose their shit when we casually, and I mean casually put ourselves about a bit!!

Still love it though and I drive 2 hours every Friday just to play with the guys

Some great stories lads. I played in the UCL, so a bit further south than the Notts leagues. UCL was Northants, Beds, Lincolnshire, Bucks, and a bit of Leicestershire. Being from Corby we were always the teams handing it out to the others :-). They all thought we were crazed pseudo Scots who wanted a war every time we played.
Some very tasty moments when football was football. Now aged 50 and still playing in Canada, I can't shake that mentality and get into bother even now in our 035 leagues.
Can't for the life of me understand why these 'tough' ice hockey players whinge about a little bit of contact, and with Toronto being very multicultural, fellow 40+ year olds from eastern europe, Turkey, Italy, Armenia, South America lose their shit when we casually, and I mean casually put ourselves about a bit!!

Still love it though and I drive 2 hours every Friday just to play with the guys

My son is 19 and plays step 5, which is a decent standard and pays him a few bob eevry week - he always takes the mickey that Vets is like walking football.

With no Forest, we're going to watch plenty of local non league games, decent crowds too - over 250 last weekend.

Son came to watch a vets game a few weeks ago, tight game, they had 2 sent off, we had 1. They had 3 ex-pro's on their side, one an ex international & 2 still get paid to play in their first team (both just 35).

He's changed his opinion now, perhaps not as fast as step 5 Saturday afternoon, but competitive and a good standard.

Wasnt it Ian? He was a great footballer back in the day. He definitely could have made it but preferred pop and fighting

Ian rings a bell actually.

I seem to recall this chap having no teeth and maybe some kind of little mullet at the back. Linesman flag in one hand and a fag in the other

They were in Notts amature alliance

Think they won it a couple of times ..a lot of the playes were semi professional players. Way better than I was able to ever get to

Mayrixgrade was/is a notts construction/demolition company

The manager of the football team was Steve Farmbury

He used to teach me TaeKwondo and Kung Fu but more as an actual real life situation.
Instead of learning all the bullshit he taught us how to take hits, defend and attack

Full contact shit

I guess they would call it MMA now
Steve Farmbury was a complete knobhead, and thought he was better than he was.

Steve Farmbury was a complete knobhead, and thought he was better than he was.

Do you mean Lee his eldest son?

The one who went to play professional football in Iceland or Finland or something like that?

Or Ricky the one who was in the Army

Steve was an older man and was the manager he never played for Matrixgrade. Unless you are in your 70's and know him then I guess you could come to that conclusion...would explain a lot

So have you just made up something or just got some names confused

Owd Steve

Last edited:
Do you mean Lee his eldest son?

The one who went to play professional football in Iceland or Finland or something like that?

Or Ricky the one who was in the Army

Steve was an older man and was the manager he never played for Matrixgrade. Unless you are in your 70's and know him then I guess you could come to that conclusion...would explain a lot

So have you just made up something or just got some names confused

Owd Steve
Yeah, you’re probably right, Lee. He wasn’t all that. Right place right time. I am very bitter though.