Match thread - a bit of luck helps. | Page 17 | Vital Football

Match thread - a bit of luck helps.

The higher levels i played at Dr Martens , Beazer homes etc i would only pick up the odd booking , can't remember getting sent off once at that standard, it was more local football , sundays etc where i was known by refs, players and had a bit of a reputation for having a short fuse so the opposition would know this and try and provoke me. When you're constantly getting kicked to fuck and often not getting any help off some appalling refs it does test your breaking strain a bit.
My own fault though , i just didn't have the right temperament simple as that .

Reminds me of teaching

The higher levels i played at Dr Martens , Beazer homes etc i would only pick up the odd booking , can't remember getting sent off once at that standard, it was more local football , sundays etc where i was known by refs, players and had a bit of a reputation for having a short fuse so the opposition would know this and try and provoke me. When you're constantly getting kicked to fuck and often not getting any help off some appalling refs it does test your breaking strain a bit.
My own fault though , i just didn't have the right temperament simple as that .

Some of my friends used to play for a team called Matrixgrade and I used to train with them. Was too young to get into the teams but I was a friend of the managers son so used to go along to make up the numbers when they trained.

Anyway there was this one guy called Stack, really tall lad, I used to hang out with his girlfriends younger sister who was my age, and he kicked a dog to death during a game and got a lifetime ban and it made the news.

Crazy shit but I think it attacked his young lad if I remember correctly

Some of my friends used to play for a team called Matrixgrade and I used to train with them. Was too young to get into the teams but I was a friend of the managers son so used to go along to make up the numbers when they trained.

Anyway there was this one guy called Stack, really tall lad, I used to hang out with his girlfriends younger sister who was my age, and he kicked a dog to death during a game and got a lifetime ban and it made the news.

Bloody hell that sounds terrible.

Bloody hell that sounds terrible.

I wasn't there but heard all about it

Apparently he totally lost his shit and the police had to be called and had to restrain him

He was a really sound quite dude off the pitch but when it came to football..fuck in ell a beast

About 6'7" looked like he should be in Metallica.

I would always be at his house with his girlfriends sister when they would go to the pub at weekends and look after his kid and he would make sure we had money and food and whatever we needed, just a really decent bloke

Think he also had to do a bit of jail time for it

I think I played against them once. Always thought it was a daft name.

Like a Keanu Reeves exam.

I think I played against them once. Always thought it was a daft name.

Like a Keanu Reeves exam.

They were in Notts amature alliance

Think they won it a couple of times ..a lot of the playes were semi professional players. Way better than I was able to ever get to

Mayrixgrade was/is a notts construction/demolition company

The manager of the football team was Steve Farmbury

He used to teach me TaeKwondo and Kung Fu but more as an actual real life situation.
Instead of learning all the bullshit he taught us how to take hits, defend and attack

Full contact shit

I guess they would call it MMA now

They were in Notts amature alliance

Think they won it a couple of times ..a lot of the playes were semi professional players. Way better than I was able to ever get to

Mayrixgrade was/is a notts construction company

The manager of the football team was Steve Farmbury

He used to teach me TaeKwondo and Kung Fu but more as an actual real life situation.
Instead of learning all the bullshit he taught us how to take hits, defend and attack

Full contact shit

I guess they would call it MMA now

Matrixgrade were always the whipping boys when I played. We had a couple of seasons with them in the bottom division and then played them in the cup a couple of times after we got promoted - I think we always got into double figures.

Bulwell Rangers and Meadows were the two where it always got a bit spicy with us.

We always seemed to be playing a team from one or other of the mining villages in Notts. Always tough but never seemed too dirty. Loved it, but times were different in those days.

Matrixgrade were always the whipping boys when I played. We had a couple of seasons with them in the bottom division and then played them in the cup a couple of times after we got promoted - I think we always got into double figures.

Bulwell Rangers and Meadows were the two where it always got a bit spicy with us.

Medduz, Clifton and Chaffeatoux always the spiciest for me.

Yeah I think once they got a Spanking where they got beat 9 - 3 that I remember

So they started to get some better players in that were semi pro or ex semi pro

This was over 3 decades ago though

Did you ever play against Radford Park Rangers

Watched them get a few beatings 🤣

They had a couple of people I know who used to play for them that I didn't like

So was fun to give them shit

The Medduz team was full of horrible *****. When they played at ours, our fans came out in force. Some tooled up with baseball bats, pool cues and golf clubs.

Not that I condone that sort of thing of course.

The Medduz team was full of horrible *****. When they played at ours, our fans came out in force. Some tooled up with baseball bats, pool cues and golf clubs.

Not that I condone that sort of thing of course.

They were horrible bastards.

We played them in the cup semi-final one year at their pitch by the embankment. Our usual set of family and friends turned out but it seemed like they had the whole of the Meadows there watching.

Their manager was running the line. He wore a stringed vest and looked like Onslow from Keeping up Appearances. We beat them on penalties and as we were celebrating, he came over and grabbed one of our players by the throat and started accusing him of being too rough!

A bit of a scrap broke out but nothing too serious. It just made beating them on their own pitch that much sweeter.

I was getting chopped to bits by centre backs one game and when i finally snapped and asked if the ref was going to protect me as he was giving me fuck all he booked me and laughed whilst doing so which wound me up further still , i got up face to face and called him a **** and he did an Awcock and went tumbling over and said i butted him in his report , the fact he carried on reffing straight away after sending me off kind of proved my point i hadn't touched him.
Not condoning my actions as it was in no way acceptable but nowhere near as bad as he made out in his report.
They tried to give me sine die but settled on 5 years.
My disciplinary record went against me as i used to get sent off 2 or 3 times a season so i was always going to get a hefty ban.
Wasn't worth coming back at 37.

I got sent off 3 times in one season by the same ref, the first one was probably justified - playing against Bestwood Colliery, at their place (late 80's - I think).

Their centre mid 2 footed me, should have been a straight red - I ended up with broken shin pad & 6 stitches in my shin that night.

We exchanged pleasantries.... few minutes later perfect opportunity, we both flew into a sliding tackle near their dug out, which for any that played on that pitch (which was immaculate back then) - the dug out was sunken.

Momentum took us into the dug out & a mass brawl followed, including their manager & most players.

My attacker miraculously ended up unable to play on - I was red carded.

Served my ban, paid the fine - he then sent me off on my first game back, cup match at Shirebrook Town - 2 yellow cards, the 2nd wasn't even me that put in the tackle.

Last red card was against Notts Police for allegedly handling the ball on the line. We appealed the straight red.

I had to go for the Disciplinary Hearing at Notts FA, but Ref's car had broken down (apparently, he had 3 punctures) - he failed to appear, red card overturned & long ban avoided.

Only had 1 red card in the period since then - plenty of bookings.

A poor mans David Speedie / Paul Dickov .
I should have been sedated in the changing rooms pre-match :chill:

I calmed down as I got older (some would laugh at that comment) - still occasionally play Sunday mornings, but nearly 50 now - so, takes too long to recover.

I still play Vets football Orb (which you may enjoy) - really decent standard and lots of ex professionals play, with some really good pitches.

Best part is the post match pints!

They were horrible bastards.

We played them in the cup semi-final one year at their pitch by the embankment. Our usual set of family and friends turned out but it seemed like they had the whole of the Meadows there watching.

Their manager was running the line. He wore a stringed vest and looked like Onslow from Keeping up Appearances. We beat them on penalties and as we were celebrating, he came over and grabbed one of our players by the throat and started accusing him of being too rough!

A bit of a scrap broke out but nothing too serious. It just made beating them on their own pitch that much sweeter.

Haha. I remember Onslow!