Marianakis - Lifted from the good people over at LTLF | Page 8 | Vital Football

Marianakis - Lifted from the good people over at LTLF

Fact is MW took over a squad that has been underachieving for a while and whose confidence was shot. He had no opportunity to add to the squad so had to make due with what he inherited. He had an initial remit to keep us up in the remaining 9 games which he did, whilst having us play much better football - for the most part anyway - than the previous few managers.

The man has had 9 games and it is far too early to start condemning his record.

Forest and Proud - 13/5/2017 09:35

So you can't suggest anyone that could have done better. Fine.

As for Mowbray and clough getting more points in those 9 games well they were in charge for a lot longer, clough the whole season, so your comparison is flawed. They were working with players they bought in and who they'd had longer to put across their footballing style and methods too. By the way how did it work out for Mowbray?

Are you seriously considering Redknapps record against warburton? Harry, a vastly experienced premiership manager, once touted for England, who came into a team that had been competing top 6 prior to zolas appointment and who got a win against a vastly changed Huddersfield and then against a poor Bristol city who'd not long become safe themselves. I don't really think you can compare the two.

As for the 5 players bought into the club in January well it wasn't just warburton that didn't pick them. I don't recall them all being regular starters under GB and JL and in that window we failed to really get the players in we needed - quality CB and DM/CM cover. if the guys who were in charge when those players were bought in weren't picking them then I don't see how warburton can be faulted for not picking them.

Pope your posts are always thoughtful etc but they always come across as negative. Criticising the manager, a yet to be owner etc etc. Yes it's been a dour season but can't we just try and move on, put the last 5 years behind us and look forward with just that little bit of positivity otherwise what's the point?

All I am saying is let's give warburton his pre season and chance to form his squad/team and see how he goes. Let's at least give a new owner chance to come in and tell us what he plans to do then see if he does it before shooting them down?

If we're in a similar position. With no structure and broken promises in the new season then you can have your "told you so" moment. Right now though I'd rather take the glass half full approach.

I've just told you two managers who have done better than Warburton. You don't accept that, fine. I bet if I find Mowbry's first nine games he'll have done better as well.

You are just making excuses. This was a decent, experienced squad. We have a striker who has one of the best goal to minute ratios in the League. We signed one of the hottest young talents in League One. We have experienced, expensive defenders, some with international experience.

Mowbray and Clough could make plenty or excuses of their own, and they would be valid- especially were then to point out that their Blackburn and Burton squads were a pale reflection of ours.

I'm no fan of Clough, but if he takes charge with nine to go, are we still sweating it on the last day? I doubt it.

But as I keep saying, he did do the job and now deserves the time to build the club in territory he is more familiar with.

I'm sure we are in agreement on that. You are never going to get me to accept your various excuses for why he did so poorly so you might as well cut your losses and accept that we'll meet in the middle.

I am cynical and tend to fear the worse, but my opposition on a match day will be indistinguishable from your support

Many managers with a relegation fight on and only 9 games to pull it round would have parked the bus. I fully expected, like many before him, for Warbs to set the team up for survival, made us hard to score against and hit teams on the break. It takes some balls to go in, in that situation, and immediately set your stall out with an attractive attacking style. He would have been shot down had he not pulled it off.

In retrospect it could have been reckless had we gone down. The results of his actions tho means that the squad are not starting from square one come pre season, the players know what his style is and if you believe Mance, Cohen and the rest, it's a style they have all signed up to and have confidence in.

All that considered I for one will forgive him for not getting more results in his time here, and thank him for dangling his balls in the alligator pen for the sake of his team. This is exactly what I want from a Forest manager

I'm glad we have a manager that despite being threatened with relegation and not being able to bring any new players in backed himself to save us playing attractive football and not parking the bus and grinding out results. Fans and players know what we are gonna get with warburton. Attacking possession based football.
Promotion is a pipe dream in the foreseeable future unless a new owner finds a way to plough crazy money in to us. As many point out we are so far behind so many other clubs in so many ways. The squad, the ground, the reputation, the fan base, the backroom staff... Everything needs rebuilding to some degree. Hopefully this will happen under a new owner but for me next season should be about steady progress. Getting bums back on seats and getting forest noticed for playing good football rather than stuff off the pitch.
Is EM the right guy. Who knows? Theres no smoke without fire but also if you throw enough shit some of it should stick and non appears to (yet) Beyond all that he runs a highly successful team in Olympiacos and there are more than enough good stories out there about them and what they do off the pitch and with the community to give me a bit of hope he might be OK for us.

Pope knows way more about modern day football than I do and Imo is one of the best posters on her for detail and thoughtful debate, but have to agree with forest and proud here. Change can always be positive or negative but if you always look on the dark side then it's a miserable old time. I have seen enough of warburton to be excited about the possibility of a more stable and entertaining side. Marinakis offers the possibility of a more professionally run club building infrastructure and all round progress. Yes it could all go wrong in time but let's hope for the best. I have always said in football it's easy to be negative and be right as with 24 teams in a league the odds are you in your favour that you won't make the top 8, but I am confident we will make significant progress if the takeover happens and warburton can get the players he wants in.

Decent experienced squad? Maybe on paper or to you but I'd Point to a squad of experienced players that were injury prone and unavailable much of the time, a top striker coming back from serious injury, freebies or low cost players from Europe, a bunch of loans that were poor and a squad backed up by players from the academy. Add to that most of the squad couldn't seem to give a toss.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the squad front then and on the other points discussed as I certainly don't think Mowbray or clough would have done any better in the same circumstances. And I doubt old Harry would of either.

I'll continue to look forward with a glass half full outlook. Enjoy the old cynical step and let's hope come the season it's a good one and maybe you can stop fearing the worse? I dare say though even if we're doing well next season and somehow find ourselves in the top six you'll only prob end up worrying we'll blow our promotion chances.

Enjoy the off season and here's to a better season.

Forest and Proud - 13/5/2017 10:14

Decent experienced squad? Maybe on paper or to you but I'd Point to a squad of experienced players that were injury prone and unavailable much of the time, a top striker coming back from serious injury, freebies or low cost players from Europe, a bunch of loans that were poor and a squad backed up by players from the academy. Add to that most of the squad couldn't seem to give a toss.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the squad front then and on the other points discussed as I certainly don't think Mowbray or clough would have done any better in the same circumstances. And I doubt old Harry would of either.

I'll continue to look forward with a glass half full outlook. Enjoy the old cynical step and let's hope come the season it's a good one and maybe you can stop fearing the worse? I dare say though even if we're doing well next season and somehow find ourselves in the top six you'll only prob end up worrying we'll blow our promotion chances.

Enjoy the off season and here's to a better season.

I think people are a little bit more complex than the picture you paint.

Yes, if we get into the top six it isn't in my nature to start planning for life in the premiership. I absolutely will be worried out of my skull that we'll blow it as we have so many times before. Even in injury time last week I was panicked at the prospect of us collapsing and shipping three goals.

But having said that, I am also looking forward to the new season and excited for the future. Warburton is a promotion manager, not a survival one. We got away with it and that now brings us to a potentially more exciting future.

Some people would look at potential bad news and argue that we shouldn't worry about bad news until it actually comes to pass.

Others would argue that we shouldn't celebrate good news until that has actually come to pass.

Just different people

EM sold OB - the most stupid decision this club has made in many years

He sanctioned all the players purchases this year

We should all be very very worried about EM in that respect

Surprised Jimmy has not vented his spleen over this

Pope if we get into the top six then I won't be planning for life in the premiership. I'll just be enjoying the fact that means we're having a relatively good season and be doing better.

People as you say are different and I appreciate that. I Just think there is no point worrying about something you cannot change and life is too short.

Here's to a better season and hopefully a club with structure and a reputation more akin to what it used to be as opposed to the tarnished and embarrassing one under Fawaz al fookwit

Pope John XXIII - 13/5/2017 08:11

Realblustone - 13/5/2017 07:52

I would start the sniping at him straight away then vital.

Jock get your mate Tommy Robinson to have a sniff around. Woanz suggest you keep the obsession with Jom going and boycott the ground just incase.

Shame we never got relegated so we could hope for league 2 next season under the Greek mafia.

Now let's think of a negative greek related nick name for him.

:5:

I honestly don't know how you have the fooking front to show yourself around here.

5 years of sniping and slagging off forest fans in defence of a complete charleton.

Fawaz has well and truly pulled your pants down and had the world laughing at your little worm and two peas

And here you are, as if none of the last five years have ever happened doing the same thing.

The only words you should be typing on this forum would be deriviatives of 'sorry.

Can't believe how sycophantic you and some others are to anyone with a bit of money.

At least a prostitute only sells her body for money- but show you a couple of shillings and you'll give away heart, body and soul.

How can you look at yourself in the mirror?

What the fook is a Charleton?

Please write out "I must turn off predictive text" 1000 times or it detention for you matey.

deriviatives for fook sake!

I'm off for lie down in a dark room.

Its kind of cute how you jump straight in to defend the honour of Jock and Woanz though.

da fuq - 13/5/2017 10:42

EM was against selling OB.
He was kept in the loop throughout and in the end he RELUCTANTLY agreed to the sale.
He was not happy about it and he was even more pissed off when he found out where a large part of the money went (but that's another story).

Totally agree DF; that for me is the most worrying aspect, not the Mario Puzzo fiction that is floating around.

If, however, appointing MW and FM is an acknowledgement that he got it wrong the first time round, I would be a little more relaxed.

Having someone in charge who learns from is mistakes would be considerably better than a fook wit who blames everyone else.

The sale of OB was a complete no-brainer of a decision. £13 million for an unproven kid - I am not sure how may clubs in our position would have rejected the offer. Fawaz could not afford to turn the offer down.

The sale of OB had absolutely fook all do to with the Greek fella. It should never have been part of a the owner's mindset to even consult him. Were we in negotiations with the Yanks at the time of the OB sale so to discuss a player's future with a 3rd party just shows what a duplicitous **** Fawaz is.

Popey. I supported the team and the owner. What is the problem with that?

I will support the team and the new owner next season too.

Fawaz made many mistakes. He was clearly out of his depth, but people on Vital had it in for him before he took over. Perhaps promises made by the other bidder had something to do with it?

I am a positive optimistic person Popey. You should try it some time especially in front of your students.

Realblustone - 13/5/2017 11:50

Fawaz made many mistakes. He was clearly out of his depth, but people on Vital had it in for him before he took over. Perhaps promises made by the other bidder had something to do with it?

I am a positive optimistic person Popey. You should try it some time especially in front of your students.

"....people on Vital had it in for him before he took over."

That is a monstrous lie!

People started to question him when he blurted out the "Iconic" bollox and then again after Pizzagate; what started off as a trickle then turned into a deluge after sacking O Driscoll and the McLeish fiasco.

The whole pantomime was exacerbated by certain people that you know well spouting fanciful proclamations that have turned out to be fairy tales.

How many times has Dan, for example, claimed Fawaz saved us from administration, even though the claim has not one ounce of fact?

Rather than blame people on here who have turned out to be right, why not spend some time questioning your friends and ask them why they were so wrong?

mao tse tung - 13/5/2017 12:18

That is a monstrous lie!

People started to question him when he blurted out the "Iconic" bollox and then again after Pizzagate; what started off as a trickle then turned into a deluge after sacking O Driscoll and the McLeish fiasco.

The whole pantomime was exacerbated by certain people that you know well spouting fanciful proclamations that have turned out to be fairy tales.

How many times has Dan, for example, claimed Fawaz saved us from administration, even though the claim has not one ounce of fact?

Rather than blame people on here who have turned out to be right, why not spend some time questioning your friends and ask them why they were so wrong?

No that is actually not true

The shenanigans started before the take over was complete all the arguing about rivals bids and MA and his crew

Don't start being revisionists about this some of us actually have memories

mao tse tung - 13/5/2017 11:21

Totally agree DF; that for me is the most worrying aspect, not the Mario Puzzo fiction that is floating around.

If, however, appointing MW and FM is an acknowledgement that he got it wrong the first time round, I would be a little more relaxed.

Having someone in charge who learns from is mistakes would be considerably better than a fook wit who blames everyone else.

This +1

da fuq - 13/5/2017 12:32

That is a monstrous lie!

The shenanigans started before the take over was complete all the arguing about rivals bids and MA and his crew

I am not being revisionist; I remember the events quite clearly.

Even the rubbish about rival bids; I remember having a conversation with one individual who told me that all parties had to make sealed bids and that he knew the details of the bids.

How the fook are you supposed to take rubbish like that seriously?

mao tse tung - 13/5/2017 12:46

da fuq - 13/5/2017 12:32

That is a monstrous lie!

I am not being revisionist; I remember the events quite clearly.

Even the rubbish about rival bids; I remember having a conversation with one individual who told me that all parties had to make sealed bids and that he knew the details of the bids.

How the fook are you supposed to take rubbish like that seriously?

I'm not taking it seriously but it is a FACT that the demonisation started before the the take over was even close to being completed

If you cannot remember then I am not going to be able to get you to believe it