Man's best friend | Page 16 | Vital Football

Man's best friend

In 1994 I was suffering from a long period of depression and my wife thought of a lovely way to help me and she brought home this little fella (below) for me.

I stood by the window as she brought him in and he looked up at me in her arms and that was it - Love at first sight for the both of us!

He was a long-haired Jack Russell, only 8 weeks old and for the next 13 years Rinty and me became the best friends in all the world and he finally lifted my awful depression.

At the end, he was very ill and he was placed in his basket on the back seat of our car as my wife ( Ex Veterinary Nurse) took him on his final trip to the vets and just before the car pulled away he somehow got the strength to sit up and look at me through the car window as I stood at the very same window where I welcomed him.

It was his way of saying goodbye and I sincerely hope one day we can meet up again somewhere else!

IMG_20211006_123651628.jpg

Last edited:
In 1994 I was suffering from a long period of depression and my wife thought of a lovely way to help me and she brought home this little fella (below) for me.

I stood by the window as she brought him in and he looked up at me in her arms and that was it - Love at first sight for the both of us!

He was a long-haired Jack Russell, only 8 weeks old and for the next 13 years Rinty and me became the best friends in all the world and he finally lifted my awful depression.

At the end, he was very ill and he was placed in his basket on the back seat of our car as my wife ( Ex Ventiary Nurse) took him on his final trip to the vets and just before the car pulled away he somehow got the strength to sit up and look at me through the car window as I stood at the very same window where I welcomed him.

It was his way of saying goodbye and I sincerely hope we can meet up again somewhere else!

View attachment 52329
Brought a lump to my throat mate as I sit here with this big brown Labrador on my lab snoring her head off total contented

Brought a lump to my throat mate as I sit here with this big brown Labrador on my lab snoring her head off total contented

Sorry mate!

It's not my intention to upset anyone but I can't hide my feelings for him and on a positive note, at least we spent 13 years of sheer bliss together and that's how it was.

It's funny, In most of our family photos or videos, he is with me or following me just like my shadow!

To you, all, enjoy and cherish every moment with the dog you love and enjoy the happiness they bring you.

Sorry mate!

It's not my intention to upset anyone but I can't hide my feelings for him and on a positive note, at least we spent 13 years of sheer bliss together and that's how it was.

It's funny, In most of our family photos or videos, he is with me or following me just like my shadow!

To you, all, enjoy and cherish every moment with the dog you love and enjoy the happiness they bring you.
Spot on mate, I still dearly miss our Springer some months after her passing. I can't believe how that dog got under my skin, wormed her way into every area of our lives At the moment my wife is on the internet every day trying to find a suitable replacement, but it's early days for me.

Spot on mate, I still dearly miss our Springer some months after her passing. I can't believe how that dog got under my skin, wormed her way into every area of our lives At the moment my wife is on the internet every day trying to find a suitable replacement, but it's early days for me.
Sorry mate I missed that, I do know what it's like, I get more upset about animals dying than I do people.
Mrs 57's niece has just sold her Spaniel which cost the 2 grand for 1500, why because she's far too interested in having a home that looks like a show home.
The real reason is its hard work and people like her should never have a dog. That's the second puppy they have had and got rid of on some lame excuse.
They make me sick.

I'd be looking at a rescue now as there are far too many "breeders" just out to make silly money. Lots of dogs going to rescues due to people going back to work and holidays etc and the novelty has worn off

Sorry mate I missed that, I do know what it's like, I get more upset about animals dying than I do people.
Mrs 57's niece has just sold her Spaniel which cost the 2 grand for 1500, why because she's far too interested in having a home that looks like a show home.
The real reason is its hard work and people like her should never have a dog. That's the second puppy they have had and got rid of on some lame excuse.
They make me sick.

I'd be looking at a rescue now as there are far too many "breeders" just out to make silly money. Lots of dogs going to rescues due to people going back to work and holidays etc and the novelty has worn off
Morning 57. Couldn't agree more. I can't believe the number of ads on the internet being placed by heartless individuals who clearly have bought a dog on a whim because the papers were saying it was the in thing to do over lockdown.
They are hard work, but I can't think of anything I would rather be doing than out alone, or with the missus, in the woods watching the dog working her way around every bit of undergowth looking for a pheasant to spring into the air.
They ask nothing in return, just love, but sadly some can't deliver on that.

Caught those stories as well, I'm tempted to say the dickheads like that should be forced to take care of them but that wouldn't be fair on the dog.

When the time is right for us to get another, we'll be rehoming again - has its own challenges with them not being a pup, but couldn't use a breeder.

Last edited:

At the end, he was very ill and he was placed in his basket on the back seat of our car as my wife ( Ex Veterinary Nurse) took him on his final trip to the vets and just before the car pulled away he somehow got the strength to sit up and look at me through the car window as I stood at the very same window where I welcomed him.

It was his way of saying goodbye and I sincerely hope one day we can meet up again somewhere else!

View attachment 52329
Condolences mate. What a stunning dog, you must have some lovely memories

Meet Libby.
Met her for the first time at the lady's house that has bred her last Sunday.
This is the same lady who aquired our beloved Lola 12 years ago, and this is the last litter she will breed.
Lolas father is this little ones great great grandfather.
IMG-20211017-WA0023 (1).jpg

Meet Libby.
Met her for the first time at the lady's house that has bred her last Sunday.
This is the same lady who aquired our beloved Lola 12 years ago, and this is the last litter she will breed.
Lolas father is this little ones great great grandfather.
View attachment 52609

Wonderful stuff - I can see she is in good, loving and safe hands so what a great life you both have in front of you!

Libby, Mike. Long time since we've had a puppy, quite frightening.
200w.gif

I was being cheeky mate. Looks a beauty.