Manchester United FC vs Tottenham Hotspur - Match Thread | Page 19 | Vital Football

Manchester United FC vs Tottenham Hotspur - Match Thread

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have watched the Sanchez penalty repeatedly and I think its soft. Martial caught Sanchez with his trailing leg and went down very easy. Sanchez puts his foot in but it goes down onto the turf, possibly a little side of the calf contact but then Martial buys the pen with his trailing leg IMO. He cheats as did Lamela on him when he collapsed in a heap from a tap.

I have watched the Sanchez penalty repeatedly and I think its soft. Martial caught Sanchez with his trailing leg and went down very easy. Sanchez puts his foot in but it goes down onto the turf, possibly a little side of the calf contact but then Martial buys the pen with his trailing leg IMO. He cheats as did Lamela on him when he collapsed in a heap from a tap.
I've watched it a few times and it looks an obvious penalty to me. Sanchez is probably attempting to reach the ball but the shot from behind the play shows he clearly impacts Martial on the side of the leg that knocks him off balance. Just rank bad defending.

I've watched it a few times and it looks an obvious penalty to me. Sanchez is probably attempting to reach the ball but the shot from behind the play shows he clearly impacts Martial on the side of the leg that knocks him off balance. Just rank bad defending.

Sadly, I agree with you completely, it was naive defending, very poor at this level.

Well am gobsmacked that Shearer on MOTD2 praised us highly and unlike the Sky commontatoe arsoles, and actually explained why we won and won well, unlike them who pissed me off no end just talking about Manure the poor loves all through the game and ignored most iof what we were doing Outrageous lack of impartiality.
So you noticed the same, it was ages, nearly the whole show, of "how crap MU were and playing poorly blah blah" nothing about that Spurs got in their faces and completely out played them, always the same.

Agreed, obligatory pen at OT, but Martial got what he deserved, those who wait and all that.

Even moreso the endangering a player from Shaw. That wasn't a challenge, it was assualt
I remember an opponent doing exactly the same thing against one of our players a few years ago but he was sent off. Their manager was railing against the decision afterwards. I can't remember who it was? Warnock? It was an 'old school' type manager anyway.

Agreed, obligatory pen at OT, but Martial got what he deserved, those who wait and all that.

Remember...it is almost ALWAYS the retaliation that is caught...and that was what happened with Lamela. He gave a shove on Martial that happened to catch him high...and Martial was dumb and slapped him deliberately on the face...simple CANNOT do that. He was caught and given a red.

Sanchez didn't have to challenge any contact Martial was going down. The angle for Martial to score was rapidly decreasing, and if he had shot the ball would almost certainly have hit Hugo and gone for a corner. To tackle from behind and go through the player in the penalty box was rash.

It was a pen but Martial did dive. If he didn't I doubt the ref would have given the pen.

It's why I'm glad he got sent off. What comes around goes around.

I remember an opponent doing exactly the same thing against one of our players a few years ago but he was sent off. Their manager was railing against the decision afterwards. I can't remember who it was? Warnock? It was an 'old school' type manager anyway.
Warnock complained like fuck whenever they lost the toss! .... I know what you mean though .

Having sent off Martial , which I thought was just Taylor reverting to type , being a prick , showing off his “authority” and puffing his chest out , there was no way he was going to send any other Manc off , at the Theatre Of Dreams . Boy have they got a lot of dreaming to do this season.
Both the Shaw and Baily assaults were reds with almost every other ref and very noticeable that VAR wasn’t consulted Ex ! Ha ha .
How any ref can only book Shaw should be a matter for a public enquiry . I would love to see the report and the reason he was “cautioned as to his further conduct “ ... is there a way of getting that information .
It was endangering the opponents well-being.
A leg breaking , serous injury causing, reckless , thought out , planned assault .

Even OGS threw his hands in the air over it .
But .... you see.... it was at Old Trafford , the memories and fears of Fergie still invades the place .
And , of course , there is no ref conspiracy against us is there !
At almost every other game I’ve seen last season and this , that martial penalty wouldn’t have been given immediately. The ball had gone out of play and VAR could have consulted .OK . It turned out to be the correct decision..... just .
The commentators on the radio said it was a fantastic tackle by Sanchez , . But Taylor , being Taylor , gave it instantly , without thought .
VAR didn’t make an appearance on the other two contentious issues against the Mancs . Lamela did get booked though , I heard , for his part in the handbags incident , .

It was another poor game from a poor
ref . Can you imagine what we would have been saying had we lost that 0-1 .
feathers and spitting come to mind . Just like Warnock!
Only Michael Oliver and Mike Dean could have done a worse job at refereeing one our games .
They are the ones that are spitting feathers !

Very poor refereeing, but it was Anthony Taylor after all .
Brilliant game from us though, we beat them all , at there place , by a country mile . And 95 % of the media can’t give us the credit for it .
Now that makes me spit !
ha ha

Having rewatched the match, what I completely forgot was that in the build up to Son's first goal, it was he who won the initial header from Dier's long ball that led to Kane being fouled.

It's so rare that Son even challenges for a header.

I was so surprised to see him pop up that at the time I had to double check it was actually him.

I wonder if this will make him gamble a bit more in future in winning those first headers?

Everybody is noticing little things about the team and players, Sons challenge for a header for example, they are all doing more in different ways, but the thing that stands out for me is the niggly give away fouls, to stop our opponents attacks, we have not done that sort of thing, take one for the team in gods knows how long, may it continue this little nasty streak starting to come out, its the winners way.