Manchester City v Atletico Madrid - Champions League - Post match Thread | Vital Football

Manchester City v Atletico Madrid - Champions League - Post match Thread

Buzz Lightyear

Alert Team
Manchester City 1 - 0 Atletico Madrid
City Goals - De Bruyne 70'
Assists - Foden 70'
HT 0-0

Possession

City 70.5% AM 29.5%
Corners
City 9 AM 0
Offsides
City 1 AM 2
Fouls
City 8 AM 13
Cards
City Y 2 Ederson, Jesus R 0 AM Y 3 R 0
On Target

City 2 AM 0
Woodwork
City 0 AM 0
Off Target
City 7 AM 0
Passes Completed
City 635 - 90% AM 225 76%
Attendance: 52,018

Manchester City
City:
Ederson, Cancelo, Ake, Stones, Laporte, Rodrigo, Gundogan* (c), De Bruyne, Bernardo, Sterling***, Mahrez**

Subs: Steffen, Carson, Jesus***, Grealish*, Zinchenko, Fernandinho, Foden**, Egan-Riley, Mbete

Jesus is suspended for the return leg.

Compiled from UEFA* and City Official Site match day threads

Links
https://matchday.mancity.com
Man. City-Atlético | UEFA Champions League 2021/22 | UEFA.com

UEFA had AM 1 on target and then possession as 67% to 33% whilst al, the UK sites BBC, Sky have the same as City, so UEFA stats not that reliable

Last edited:
A good result for City but in all honesty we could have scored more, Jesus was booked for dissent and misses the next game, whilst Ederson was also booked for complaining against this apparently weak referee who did not have a good game.

Commentary By Neil Leigh @ManCity
21:58
KDB: 'I expect it to be similar over there'
More from KDB:
"We have to stay composed and don't try to fight with them and I think we handled it pretty well.
"1-0 is 1-0 and I expect it to be similar over there and maybe they will attack a little bit more."

Commentary By Neil Leigh @
Big night, big result
City had to be patient, we had to bide our time but we found a way when other teams might have lost our heads.

Atleti made life difficult and will be equally tough on home soil.

But you also really fancy City to get a goal out in Madrid.

All set up perfectly for next Wednesday.
ManCity

FPm7ulSXsAoTU6n

A good result for City but in all honesty we could have scored more, Jesus was booked for dissent and misses the next game, whilst Ederson was also booked for complaining against this apparently weak referee who did not have a good game.
Not having a good game is a massive understatement. That was criminal.

Kevin de Bruyne speaking to BT Sport:
“It's the way they play, it's their style. we have stay composed, not get into the action or try to fight with them. This is not the way we are as a team. We handled it pretty well."

Kevin de Bruyne speaking to BT Sport:

“I made the run and Phil [Foden] found me perfectly. I needed to stay composed and luckily I found the net."

Sky
Player ratings
Man City:
Ederson (6), Cancelo (7), Stones (7), Laporte (7), Ake (7), Rodri (6), Gundogan (7), De Bruyne (8), Mahrez (6), Bernardo Silva (7), Sterling (6).

Subs: Jesus (6), Grealish (7), Foden (9).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/57740778

BT Sport
Former Manchester City defender Joleon Lescott on BT Sport: "Phil Foden impacts many games and is now impacting the big games. He definitely has to start (on Sunday), part of the reason he did not start was with that in mind.”
Former Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand: "City were asked questions, can you break us down with our two blocks of five? It did not work in the first half, but they kept plugging away. When you have artist like Phil Foden posing a different threat, it is difficult to adjust to during the game when you have planned for something different. Foden was mesmeric at times.
"Pep is planning two or three games ahead and probably already knows his team (for Sunday). If he was not thinking about playing Foden at the weekend, he might have changed that now."
Former Manchester United midfielder Owen Hargreaves: "That was a really hard game. In the past they could have lost that game but Atletico did not have a shot on target. The subs changed the game and City were by far the better team. They kept their composure and I think the will go there and win by more. Can you find a way to win not at your best? The great players decide the big games, Kevin de Bruyne and Phil Foden.

Commentary By Neil Leigh @ManCity
22:11
KDB: 'I made the run and Phil found me'
More from KDB:
"I made the run and Phil [Foden] found me perfectly, I needed to stay composed and luckily I did. It's very hard. They played with almost five at the back and with five in midfield. I recommend anyone that says anything [about us], that they try playing against that on the training ground."

Ian Dennis
BBC Radio 5 Live senior football reporter
I think Atletico will be happy with that. They didn't quite park the bus towards the end but it hardly moved. The Spanish champions sat deep, were well organised and they stuck to their plan of restricting Manchester City.
Patience was the key word. And in a game City controlled and dominated it was left to Phil Foden to unlock the Atletico defence.

FT: Man City 1-0 Atletico Madrid
cadeb853-1611-4b24-8d49-5dae3f3bb11e.jpg

Dion Dublin
Former Premier League striker on BBC Radio 5 Live
Pragmatic. Boring I think. Atletico get results from it and tonight they got away with a 1-0 defeat.
City didn't really create lots, they were forced around the outside and didn't want to really cross it in as they don't have the aerial power.
But they did what they needed to do and got a win and go to Atletico after a positive result.

Pep: ' We had to be focused'
Pep Guardiola's reaction:

"We played an incredible top side which is difficult to face,

"We had chances to score, especially a second and third

"We had to be focused with what we do as its not easy to face this team.

"We will go there to try score a goal and win the game."