Manchester City v Atletico Madrid - Champions League - Post match Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Manchester City v Atletico Madrid - Champions League - Post match Thread

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola is speaking to BT Sport and is asked if he is happy with his side's performance: "A lot. We played an incredible top side who are difficult to face but it is a good result. We had chances to score a second and third.

"The guys were playing well but with Gabriel [Jesus] coming inside it gives us special energy and with Jack to keep the ball and the manager is so clever. When we make a sub it is because we think it can be a bit better. It works sometimes but other times it doesn't.

"It is not easy to face a team with a lot of experience in this tournament. We will go there to score and try and win again."

Get Involved
#bbcfootball or text 81111 (UK only - texts will be charged at your standard message rate)
Greg: A slender lead for Manchester City but they won't care one jot, roll on the second leg next Wednesday.
Will: Simeone and his team showed themselves up at the end. Embarrassing, childish behaviour.

As Skoorb said in the MDT, I thought as soon as the yellow was given to Jesus, that put him out of the second leg.
At least that didn't happen to Cancelo and De Bruyne, who were facing the same threat. Cards are wiped out after the completion of the quarters.

As pointed out, a game of patience tonight, and a clinical finish to our really only one clear cut chance created. Atletico are a bunch of shithouses, but I think we all thought the game would go as it did.

A second would've been ideal, but the main objective - a win - was secured to take to Madrid, where I think we are quite capable of scoring.

Atletico showed in brief moments what they are capable of, so they are dangerous, and, at times, I thought we conceded possession too easily trying to thread the eye of the needle when the space wasn't there.

Good subs by Guardiola, that paid immediate dividends, and Foden got in behind them on a couple more occasions, but we couldn't press it home.

I'm satisfied with tonight, and let's see how Sunday goes - I think Guardiola will want a similar level of control of the game, but with a greater cutting edge. We'll see.

A good result for City but in all honesty we could have scored more, Jesus was booked for dissent and misses the next game, whilst Ederson was also booked for complaining against this apparently weak referee who did not have a good game.
Eddy will need to be very careful next game and make sure he runs zero risk of a booking for time wasting

Events probably unfolded as most of us expected.
Our opponents came to frustrate and play their brand of Anti-Football (how frustrating must it be for the players who are drilled by their shithouse coach to inhibit their flair and ability? :shake:).
Quality intervention from Foden whose energy and invention are a joy And a superb finish from KDB :bow:
Weak officiating - certainly the foul on Sterling ought to have been given (just a note about Martin Keown’s co-commentary - Fuck Off you knob. Bernardo did not “go down easily” - he had his standing leg swept out from under him even if the defender got a slight touch on the ball. And your silence when Sterling was shoved over was likewise telling. Twat :finger:)
Downside - Gabby getting himself booked which deprives Pep of an option in the away leg. Silly.

Overall a slender lead but better than none and Pep knows it’s value. We will need to be careful and very, very disciplined next week.

Prediction - I expect enhanced levels of shithousery from this bunch of arseholes next week as they will look to pressure the officials into early decisions to book our players. I expect them to manufacture many, many flashpoints early doors in an effort to provoke reactions from our players as they look to get the home crowd to influence the referee and even look to get us reduced to ten men.

Prediction - I expect enhanced levels of shithousery from this bunch of arseholes next week as they will look to pressure the officials into early decisions to book our players. I expect them to manufacture many, many flashpoints early doors in an effort to provoke reactions from our players as they look to get the home crowd to influence the referee and even look to get us reduced to ten men.

We are not capable of defending for 90 minutes a 1-0 lead (probably an alternative definition of impossible), so as our own Joe Mercer used to say the best form of defence is attack and defend that third oof the game the opposition have it.

278062380_10160096279779282_3866430406098100220_n.jpg