Manchester City v Aston Villa Match Thread - Wed 20th Jan @ 6pm | Page 33 | Vital Football

Manchester City v Aston Villa Match Thread - Wed 20th Jan @ 6pm

He was outstanding for 89 minutes yesterday. I think many peoples issue with him is that he always has a mistake in him. He's often too careless, sloppy and nonchalant, and always seems to get punished.

If he could could those out of his game then he'd be a great defender. But he never does seem to learn.

Last night may well be a harsh example of that given where the player came from, but he needs to just be clearing his lines there, not fannying around with it. I'd like to say he'll learn from it but he's done it so often and keeps doing it so seems he's not learning or just being stubborn?

Read nback through this thread and you'll see people slating John Stones for the same reason. Great defender. Always got a mistake in them. There's been many of them over the years.

What a prick that Peter Walton is as well, ridiculing Deano and the players for not knowing the rules. During the game he was adamant it was offside himself. When the pundits pointed this out to him he tried to say he thought the ball had just hit Mings and didnt see him control it! The ball was hanging in the air for 10 seconds, does he think Mings was standing there with his eyes closed. Lying twat - even Savage and Rio smirked at him knowing he was full of shit.

There needs to be a deep and thorough independent investigation into the league, referees, refereeing decisions and VAR. We either have incompetent referees who are influencing a multibillion pound industry with poor and inconsistent decision making, which would be one thing, or we have something far more sinister involving some form of match fixing, which is something else entirely.

There needs to be a deep and thorough independent investigation into the league, referees, refereeing decisions and VAR. We either have incompetent referees who are influencing a multibillion pound industry with poor and inconsistent decision making, which would be one thing, or we have something far more sinister involving some form of match fixing, which is something else entirely.

To be fair the outcome was correct, following the rules to the letter so i don't see how we can really complain?

The rules may well be a crock of shit, but you can't go crying foul about match fixing just coz the officials follwed the rules correctly.

All this about deliberately playing the ball......... So what if he 'accidently' played the ball. The ball was in play for players who 'deliberately' play the ball.... to the whistle. The fact that a player in an off-side position coming back and 'deliberately' tackling a player with the ball is total bollocks.....

What with VAR, I am rapidly falling out of 'love' for football as it is these days.

To be fair the outcome was correct, following the rules to the letter so i don't see how we can really complain?

The rules may well be a crock of shit, but you can't go crying foul about match fixing just coz the officials follwed the rules correctly.
Pogba kicking his own leg isnt a penalty. Matty Cash penalty, by the letter of the law, was correct, so no real complaints. A player coming from an offside position to tackle/dispossess a defender has always been an immediate foul. Should have been blown up without hesitation, no need for VAR there, no need to get the rulebook out. But VAR was brought in for when the on field referee makes a clear and obvious error, and not blowing up for the offside of Rodri is as clear and obvious as they come.

So subjective though isn't it ? Was the ball fully under control ? Are you telling me a bloke 100's of miles away can tell , and amazingly it only took him about 5 seconds to be an expert on a premier league standard players level of control.

Also are you telling me Rodri had not gained an advantage coming from where he did.? It's a whole can of worms opened here and will descend to farce now teams are aware of it.

Pogba kicking his own leg isnt a penalty. Matty Cash penalty, by the letter of the law, was correct, so no real complaints. A player coming from an offside position to tackle/dispossess a defender has always been an immediate foul. Should have been blown up without hesitation, no need for VAR there, no need to get the rulebook out. But VAR was brought in for when the on field referee makes a clear and obvious error, and not blowing up for the offside of Rodri is as clear and obvious as they come.

Sorry but thats rubbish. How can it be a clear and obvious error when they got it right according to the rules?

So subjective though isn't it ? Was the ball fully under control ? Are you telling me a bloke 100's of miles away can tell , and amazingly it only took him about 5 seconds to be an expert on a premier league standard players level of control.

Also are you telling me Rodri had not gained an advantage coming from where he did.? It's a whole can of worms opened here and will descend to farce now teams are aware of it.

I agree the rule is a crock of crap, but its a rule never the less. So ultimately at the end of the day according to the rule book the right decision was made.

Sorry but thats rubbish. How can it be a clear and obvious error when they got it right according to the rules?
All this rule nonsense is all part of the great cover up. The rule is you can't influence play from an offside position. You can't dispossess the defender from an offside position.

If that McGinn goal Vs. Arsenal was offside because Barkley, totally uninvolved with play, was preventing Leno from getting a good view of the unstoppable shot, how the fuck can Rodri dispossess Mings from behind from an offside position?

I'm glad someone pointed out the time that Mings had. A lot of pundits were saying that Mings should have cleared it properly, as if he had 5 seconds to make that decision. By the time the ball had reached the ground from his chest, Rodri was tackling him. Yes it was a wrong decision from Mings, but it was split second wrong decision, not a fatal error.

I might get heckled for this, but I think Mings is being treated badly at the moment. I've seen his mistakes like all here, but he brings so much to the team. There is room for improvement, but for a lot of the match he was great last night and made a lot of correct decisions and great clearances.

His near own goal actually turned out to be a fair clearance - he got the ball out of danger and not into the path of a City player. That's all I will ever ask for in a clearance. It's not the way it looks, just the end result.

If he manages to cut out some of his errors, then he'll be one of the best defenders in the league. If he cuts out his occasional tantrums he'll also be one of the best leaders in the league. Both of these things can be improved upon and are attainable for him. As it stands he is currently a main element in a team that has almost the best defences in the league. TLDR, I see his mistakes, but don't get the hate!
Sorry but I dont think he is being treated badly at the moment, if this was Konsa,Hause, or any of the other defenders that continually made the same mistake they would be getting slaughtered on these pages.
Agree the potential is there but this is a recurring theme in his game, his inability to cut out this attempt to play football in a position where he is last in the line of defence.
He keeps doing it for us, he almost got caught out doing it for England and someone needs to take him to one side and work on this aspect of his game.
He is a decent player, but Franz Beckenbaur he aint.

As I understand handball has to be a deliberate act of hand to the ball, that seems to have gone away now and if the ball strikes and arm it's given.
To me, deliberate handball is a bloke tipping a shot over the bar with his hand, not the ball being blasted at him from two yards.
I don't think the laws have changed they have just been reinvented to justify pro refs

Sorry but I dont think he is being treated badly at the moment, if this was Konsa,Hause, or any of the other defenders that continually made the same mistake they would be getting slaughtered on these pages.
Agree the potential is there but this is a recurring theme in his game, his inability to cut out this attempt to play football in a position where he is last in the line of defence.
He keeps doing it for us, he almost got caught out doing it for England and someone needs to take him to one side and work on this aspect of his game.
He is a decent player, but Franz Beckenbaur he aint.

Mings back in the team we've lost both and conceded 4 goals, granted against the top 2 sides but as you say Hause or Targett or cash get slaughtered but Mings is untouchable as he's some sort of cult

Technically they can justify their decision but it’s clear they used a very extreme interpretation which they wouldn’t usually apply.

The offside rule clearly states “challenging an opponent for the ball” would make it offside - there are no caveats or side points to that line in the rule book. The point about receiving the ball after a deliberate play from the defender is in a separate section covering rebounds and shot saves, i think it can be reasonably assumed that if a player directly challenges an opponent for the ball the initial section explicitly covering this action still applies - that would certainly be the expected application in 99%+ of similar incidents.