Manchester City v Aston Villa Match Thread - Wed 20th Jan @ 6pm | Page 32 | Vital Football

Manchester City v Aston Villa Match Thread - Wed 20th Jan @ 6pm

Yep as i said last night stand off side wait for the CB to control the ball then rob him . Ollie would be ideal with his speed

Except you know and I know that there won't be any consistency allowing it to happen half will be given and half won't and there will be a big hoo hah and they will can the law.

Farcical really.

I assume they gave the goal as Mings has miscontrolled ? I am confused too as the explanation isn't clear. Either way my point is Mings should of been clearing his lines
I see both points of view, Mings fucks up at least once a game, I get that he's a cult hero but he does do it ad he isn't the player most think he is
Looking back last night he was unaware as was everybody else that some rule is now being interpreted differently to any other game ever

It’s official: Mark Clattenburg in the Daily Mail.
”In my view, Rodri should have been given offside. It doesn’t feel fair on Villa, or in the spirit of the game, that the goal stood.”

He said that Rodri immediately challenged Mings who had not got full control of the ball. As Mings chested the ball he was challenged, which prevented him from gaining control of it.
Sounds definitive to me.
We was robbed!

I'm glad someone pointed out the time that Mings had. A lot of pundits were saying that Mings should have cleared it properly, as if he had 5 seconds to make that decision. By the time the ball had reached the ground from his chest, Rodri was tackling him. Yes it was a wrong decision from Mings, but it was split second wrong decision, not a fatal error.

I might get heckled for this, but I think Mings is being treated badly at the moment. I've seen his mistakes like all here, but he brings so much to the team. There is room for improvement, but for a lot of the match he was great last night and made a lot of correct decisions and great clearances.

His near own goal actually turned out to be a fair clearance - he got the ball out of danger and not into the path of a City player. That's all I will ever ask for in a clearance. It's not the way it looks, just the end result.

If he manages to cut out some of his errors, then he'll be one of the best defenders in the league. If he cuts out his occasional tantrums he'll also be one of the best leaders in the league. Both of these things can be improved upon and are attainable for him. As it stands he is currently a main element in a team that has almost the best defences in the league. TLDR, I see his mistakes, but don't get the hate!

Except you know and I know that there won't be any consistency allowing it to happen half will be given and half won't and there will be a big hoo hah and they will can the law.

Farcical really.
Is it even a law or is it some rule change that they now interpret differently for us as they realised one of their ref cartel had fucked up

I assume they gave the goal as Mings has miscontrolled ? I am confused too as the explanation isn't clear. Either way my point is Mings should of been clearing his lines
Disagree. Look at a replay. As Mings goes to play it there's not a city player within ten yards of him, let alone tackling distance. Absolutely no need whatsoever to smash it. I'm not shy to dish it out to Mings when he deserves it, but that moment was 100% not his fault. How would he have been "clearing his lines" as you put it? The ball was 45 yards from goal with not a hint of pressure. He took his first touch and then was tackled by a player on his blind side before he had the chance to take his second...

The offside decision was absurd with VAR showing its current worthless state of concentrating on rule minutiae to the detriment of the game itself. Lose by two unquestionable goals and I have no argument and on the run of play I couldn’t have complained. I do question if the offside goal had happened up the other end would it have been given?
As galling as it is, it’s only part of the story of the night. Rusty yet rollicking was how I saw us, great in some attacking moves and even greater in defending the cause, great team spirit and togetherness with some sublime moments to savour. The nucleus of the squad are a million miles improvement on last year but still well short of a top Champion’s League side. We should hardly be surprised at that at this stage of the build. Now we have to impose our quality against Newcastle as City did against us.

I see both points of view, Mings fucks up at least once a game, I get that he's a cult hero but he does do it ad he isn't the player most think he is
Looking back last night he was unaware as was everybody else that some rule is now being interpreted differently to any other game ever
Even more reason to get the ball away first time if you don't know the rules . Surely we know at places like the Etihad we aren't going to get any decisions or help from VAR so with 80 mins on clock and under pressure just clear your lines don't look to play football there at that time.

Anyway ,if you want to be ultra critical of a player and Tyrone seems to be getting the flak here , you could always blame Emi for the poor clearance.

A couple of questions for everyone....Can you name the referee who awarded Man Utd their pathetic pen at Villa Park last season when Konsa was fouled? And the blatant hand ball by Sokratis at the Emirates last season that wasn’t given, possibly the easiest hand ball to spot all season....who bottled that in favour of another supposed member of the ‘Top Six’? Bit of a theme going on here....3 in a row for Mr Moss.He really isn’t very good is he....and yet refereeing at the top level for 10 years...the mind boggles it really does!

I was the quickest check ever. Took all of 10 seconds I reckon. Same for the penalty , which has got overlooked as that was a diabolical decision as well.

Think you’re being generous with 10 seconds sirdennis....but we all know it would have been much longer at the other end!

On 5 Live just they concluded a discussion about it with "well at least it didn't affect the outcome". Err - pardon me? 0-0 with just over 10 minutes to go.... Astonishing
I think that's why Moss didn't hesitate in giving the soft penalty. Saw the whisper of handball and blew up, didn't want to get lambasted for allowing City the three points based on a goal that should never have been.

Starting to think the PL is as fixed as Christmas. Second game in a row we've had a point stolen off of us from officials and all three points given to "title challengers". Seems like someone higher up trying to artificially make the title race more interesting?

My question is, where is VAR? I've seen them take 5 minutes loads of times checking if a players nutsack hair is 2mm offside, but when it comes to checking for intentional handball in fractions of time that the on field official wouldn't be able to spot or dodgy tackles by offside players, no checks at all?

A couple of questions for everyone....Can you name the referee who awarded Man Utd their pathetic pen at Villa Park last season when Konsa was fouled? And the blatant hand ball by Sokratis at the Emirates last season that wasn’t given, possibly the easiest hand ball to spot all season....who bottled that in favour of another supposed member of the ‘Top Six’? Bit of a theme going on here....3 in a row for Mr Moss.He really isn’t very good is he....and yet refereeing at the top level for 10 years...the mind boggles it really does!
You've answered your own question. This is exactly why Mr Moss is "refereeing" at this level.

I’m bemused how many on here after reading the rule and seeing the clip in question still want to blame Mings! It clearly states, it’s offside if you come from an offside position and make a tackle, and that’s what happens...
And let’s not forget Mings cleared 6-8 dangerous balls within that game, but then I guess it’s easier to blame him than the Ref/Premier league/VAR

Mings needs better awareness, that ball should of been cleared end of.
That's 3 games running he's dropped bollock, needs to step up now.

Why? Mings, me and everyone else watching it thought Rodri was offside so couldnt challenge him without being offside.
As someone posted further back, the exact same thing happened in Italy last night and Ronaldo was flagged offside. He knew it was coming as well and didnt complain about it.