Manchester City v Aston Villa Match Thread - Wed 20th Jan @ 6pm | Page 34 | Vital Football

Manchester City v Aston Villa Match Thread - Wed 20th Jan @ 6pm

I was watching it live on Belgian TV. The Flemish commentators and my two boys said straight away that it was a goal, because Mings "controlled it" . My first impression too was that Mings should have hoofed it into row Z. I am glad that our team is getting experience in this league and competing.

From memory Mings was very much under pressure at the time of his poor control, how else could an opposing player get so close and win the ball so quickly. On that basis Mings was getting challenged for the ball by a player in an offside position and it therefore should not have stood.

Technically they can justify their decision but it’s clear they used a very extreme interpretation which they wouldn’t usually apply.

The offside rule clearly states “challenging an opponent for the ball” would make it offside - there are no caveats or side points to that line in the rule book. The point about receiving the ball after a deliberate play from the defender is in a separate section covering rebounds and shot saves, i think it can be reasonably assumed that if a player directly challenges an opponent for the ball the initial section explicitly covering this action still applies - that would certainly be the expected application in 99%+ of similar incidents.

This reminds me of an old manager of mine who refereed every weekend until he was 70 or may even still be doing it.
He's a stickler for rules, he's very B&W, he wouldn't think it necessary to let the two captains know he didn't tolerate any lip or swearing, swearing is pretty common on a Sunday morning game One game he sent so many players off that he had to abandon the game as one side only had 6 players left after he sent off the sub for calling him a currant or similar.
I said did you not warn them before the game, he said no I don't see why I should! He got hauled before the Worcester FA to explain his actions,

End of the day Mings is fannying around with the ball in an area where you shouldn't . He had a good game yes but another error self inflicted cost us

From memory Mings was very much under pressure at the time of his poor control, how else could an opposing player get so close and win the ball so quickly. On that basis Mings was getting challenged for the ball by a player in an offside position and it therefore should not have stood.
Anyone remember who said that a club like Leicester must never be allowed to win the league. What he football since the mid fifties. I am a qualified referee but l do not understand the laws of the game anymore.Understand the pressure refs are under at the Sky 6 grounds but we are now at a level which is unacceptable.

I am a bit bemused about the stick Mings is getting lately. Seems that if he doesn't play like Moore and Beckenbauer rolled into one every game it's not good enough.

He may not be them , but he is still a very good centre half.

Agree, yes he's made a few errors but he's been part of a defensive unit so much improved since last season its unrecognisable. Thought he was superb last night tbh.

No doubt Big Sam, Pulis, Holloway and their ilk will look at this decision in a positive light. All they have to do now is keep a striker up the pitch just in front of the goalkeeper and they can't be judged to be offside. They can then run from behind the defenders and tackle them and any goal scored is allowed.
'Goalhanging' was despised as a practice when I played at school but it seems that under the increasing bureaucracy of FIFA/EUFA it is now allowed - but only if you are one of the 'big' clubs.

Agree, yes he's made a few errors but he's been part of a defensive unit so much improved since last season its unrecognisable. Thought he was superb last night tbh.

Konsa was better, which leads me onto how good Targett and Cash were, hence Mings now coming in for flack as he's not improved as the others around him have to the point we looked just as, if not more solid with the much-maligned Hause in there.

All this rule nonsense is all part of the great cover up. The rule is you can't influence play from an offside position. You can't dispossess the defender from an offside position.

If that McGinn goal Vs. Arsenal was offside because Barkley, totally uninvolved with play, was preventing Leno from getting a good view of the unstoppable shot, how the fuck can Rodri dispossess Mings from behind from an offside position?

Yeah, so the rule is bollocks. We agree on that.

But the rule is there. So they got it right. So VAR couldn't overturn it as there was nothing to overturn.

Targett was outstanding last night.

I have to hold my hands up as one of his ditractors earlier in the season and last season. I've always said he was the obvious weak link in our XI but his recent performances over the past 3 months plus that performance last night have well and truely put me ion my place.

Well done Matt. Keep it up! :clap:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/55743782

‘It’s a rubbish law’ - Why was Man City's controversial goal allowed to stand?
  • 21 Jan 202121 Jan 2021
  • From the sectionFootball
Match of the Day's Gary Lineker, Martin Keown and Micah Richards discuss Rodri's controversial assist that led to Bernardo Silva's opening goal against Aston Villa.

I don’t know whether it’s just me but the words quoted were “received the ball from an opponent”. I have issues with the word received as in last night’s case he didn’t receive the ball he tackled and took the ball and there’s a world of difference here. If Mings had passed back to goalie and an opposing player in an offside position received the ball he’d be ok. So in my interpretation last night was no goal and was probably the only occurrence of its kind which tells its own story.

Pmsl as ever at the always has a mistake in him levelled at Mings.

Again.....
Every player makes in game mistakes. But some positions get punished more than others .
Striker miscontrols the ball in the same manner as Mings did infront of goal =mistake. But what happens?, score stays the same. Defender or goalkeeper does that score changes as we have seen. No one bats an eyelid if a striker or midfielder loses the ball badly because it doesn't lead to anything because of where they loose the ball. I barely watched last night due to other things nut the few mins I did watch I must have seen Traore give it away about 6 times.

Having seen it back, I actually thought it was harsh on Mings last night to blame him much for the goal as he could see no-one in front of him and probably would’ve assumed like the rest of us that a player coming from behind wouldn’t have tried or been found guilty of being offside in that event.

Aside from that, Mings has all the attributes to be a top quality player - to me he looks as though he thinks he’s there already, but he needs to work on the few parts of his game which are sloppy.

There’s a debate about Mings, as some draw out his weaknesses and faults on a regular basis, whilst there are those who defend. All very subjective where those who see both sides of the argument are probably right.

The way I look at it, Konsa is not the marmite player Mings is - for a reason. And yet Mings due to his personality, character, whatever is widely regarded as the player who makes our back 4. I personally think Martinez and Konsa are more valuable, but if that goes under the radar for the greater good then so be it.

Pmsl as ever at the always has a mistake in him levelled at Mings.

Again.....
Every player makes in game mistakes. But some positions get punished more than others .
Striker miscontrols the ball in the same manner as Mings did infront of goal =mistake. But what happens?, score stays the same. Defender or goalkeeper does that score changes as we have seen. No one bats an eyelid if a striker or midfielder loses the ball badly because it doesn't lead to anything because of where they loose the ball. I barely watched last night due to other things nut the few mins I did watch I must have seen Traore give it away about 6 times.

It's a great point. McGinn made a mistake by completely missing the ball when trying to score a minute before their goal.

But.... compare how many mistakes that lead to goals that Mings makes with how many Konsa makes.

He knows he is going to be punished if he makes sloppy errors, so he needs to stop making them.

I think this is partly why Mings look so good in the Championship. He probably made as many mistakes as he is now, but at that level they weren't punished as often. At this level, virtually every mistake is punished as the opponents are so good. Best thing to do is stop making mistakes. It's sloppy.

Even more reason to get the ball away first time if you don't know the rules . Surely we know at places like the Etihad we aren't going to get any decisions or help from VAR so with 80 mins on clock and under pressure just clear your lines don't look to play football there at that time.
Sorry Silhill but I will disagree with you until the cows come home on this. "Let's completely change the way we play in this particular moment in the game and not play football because this bloke is 15 yards offside but the ref might not give it because he's favouring them so I'm just gonna welly it up the pitch instead of actually controlling it and trying to keep possession." Do you honestly think that's what could/should go through a footballer's mind? May as well recruit a couple of non-league centre-halves if that's the case....

I am a bit bemused about the stick Mings is getting lately. Seems that if he doesn't play like Moore and Beckenbauer rolled into one every game it's not good enough.

He may not be them , but he is still a very good centre half.
I've been early to criticise him when he's had bad games, and he's had a few to be fair, but to somehow blame him for that farce yesterday is beyond ludicrous.