Manchester City (The Citizens) vs Tottenham Hotspur | Page 29 | Vital Football

Manchester City (The Citizens) vs Tottenham Hotspur

(y)QUOTE="USAFSPURS, post: 1967822, member: 7033"]WW pretty sure you wanted to reach for the 'ignore' button on me a few times!!! hahahaha

Seriously, agree with you 100% I know I post some things that I am in the minority on and that is ok. I love the debate to be honest! This is part of the reason I like posting on this forum...healthy back and forth with many members!

**hell sometimes I throw something out there just to spur conversation!!! (shhhh...don't tell Ex or 80!!!)[/QUOTE]

Good post mate (y) I will keep the wind up bit under my hat ! if I had one ! Ha ha

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more RD. How can Eriksen go from being an acceptable crosser and decent deal ball kicker to the mess we've seen over the last 10-12 months. Not to mention his awful performances.

There has to be a reason/answer.

Poch has never been known or credited with the ability to bring out the best in a player. Forget Kane. He was developing nicely thank you very much and is fully dedicated and mentally astute.

It appears that any player with any signs of weakness in personality, attitude, confidence etc has the issue amplified and exacerbated under the management of Poch.

Maybe, just maybe, what we're seeing with Eriksen and maybe others, is the toll taken by the Poch system. In other words they deteriorate.

I know I'm not alone in saying that after 9 Jack Daniels I could still at the age of 53 cross a ball (with any foot) whilst running at speed and pick out any player I wish with a perfectly weighted ball.... Why..? because I practiced for hours at a time over years. Same with free kicks and volleys. Modern day training (at all levels and age groups) seems to focus on the formational tactics and assumes that players can do the basic stuff.

My youngest son plays in the National Premier League in Brisbane U13. I'd say he would be the only player in his team that knows how to address a ball. Knows which part of the boot to use to get the appropriate results. In addition, too many players at this level can't even get the ball into the box at height from a corner kick!!!! Why? Because they are not taught. Why? Because the coach himself has no idea and expects the kids to know how to do it. Yes the kids train 3 nights per week and a fourth night at the gym, but when we were young we played every night for hours (back in Scotland in the late 70's early 80's) practicing the same thing over and over. This was not for a Club, but just about half a dozen of my mates. No social media or X Box etc. Just plain old football in the snow or whatever weather we were dealt.

Geez, I sound like a grumpy old man.

Any way, players these days are getting paid waaaay too much for their lack of technical ability and their "up themselves" attitude.

Rant over. Thank God I hear you say.
9 JDs ? Would that be your signing on fee or hourly wage !
Now we know where Nkoudou went wrong and I was blaming the coaching staff all along ! Maybe we need to give the ball boys a small hip flask to slip to Eriksen as he is taking corners .
Pep and Jurgen eat your hearts out , there is a new kid on the block !
Great post mate . Keep up the great work with your son and love the memories of football with your mates back in Scotland . From my days in east London, as a boy , everywhere was a pitch and anything could be a goal . Only thing that stopped us playing was the lack of street lights on the bomb sites that were ”our” White Hart Lane , when it got too dark to see your team mate and you hadn't noticed the goalie had buggered off home cos his dinner was ready and his mum dragged him him by his ear hole !
As you rightly say , thats where we learned our skills , you rant on mate , grumpy old man? I’m with you !

Spot on guys.
I remember well that at school in the playground before lessons at play time at lunchtime after school we played football everyday BUT we were not allowed a fiull sized football (BIG BALLS ha ha) so we played football at every opportunity with a tennis ball (SMALL BALLS ha ha) Thus...If you could hit a tennis ball with the tarsals (top of foot) or juggle a tennis ball or control a tennis ball then when we played in the park or on a proper pitch/game with a full sized football it was a doddle...and the balls then we much heavier even after leather ones phased out compared to todays balls. Old guys rule!!!!!!!!!!

We are playing a hotch Poch set up at the moment due to missing players. Lamela is probably only starting for that reason. It's interesting that one of the most vilified players is stepping up and delivering when others are wilting.

Lamela did this last season. Started really well but then got injured and was poor for the rest of the season.

He needs to deliver for a whole season not just for a few games.

I'll keep saying it he is very lucky he is still here.

Lamela did this last season. Started really well but then got injured and was poor for the rest of the season.

He still managed 35 games in all competitions last season.

Not in the past a lover of Lamela as some may remember but I admit now that every time he plays HE PUTS IN A SHIFT...chasing and harrassing the opposition...if the star premadonas in our squad e.g like Eriksen and Ali had that same application and attitude we would be flying...

Spot on guys.
I remember well that at school in the playground before lessons at play time at lunchtime after school we played football everyday BUT we were not allowed a fiull sized football (BIG BALLS ha ha) so we played football at every opportunity with a tennis ball (SMALL BALLS ha ha) Thus...If you could hit a tennis ball with the tarsals (top of foot) or juggle a tennis ball or control a tennis ball then when we played in the park or on a proper pitch/game with a full sized football it was a doddle...and the balls then we much heavier even after leather ones phased out compared to todays balls. Old guys rule!!!!!!!!!!
Yo ! Brilliant greavesie . Just as I remember it . Ha ha I just typed “ greavesie”and the ‘kin prediction text thingy put in some load of cobblers ! Love it . I’m really tempted to not correct this predictive text thing and just post what it thinks I mean !

Spot on guys.
Leather balls with laces ! Lethal ! Especially when wet ! Covered in Dubbin ! Boots with nailed in studs , socks knitted by yer mum , shorts down below yer ankles and shirts that absorbed water better than a sponge and sleeves that went down below knee length . Ha ha happy days

That's how I see Lamela.....as a sub mostly unless needs must.

Problem is when we needed him last season he was injured. There were times when our number 1 AM's were injured or being played as CM's and Lamela was nowhere to be seen. When he did come back he was way off the pace.

Any of the other big clubs he would have been sold.

Problem is when we needed him last season he was injured. There were times when our number 1 AM's were injured or being played as CM's and Lamela was nowhere to be seen. When he did come back he was way off the pace.

Any of the other big clubs he would have been sold.
RD , you will know far more about his fitness than me. It took a long time and determination by him to get his hips sorted after the operation. Then unsurprisingly he picked up muscle issues when he got back to competitive action. He probably lived with the hip issues for too long trying to play through it. Its a harsh reality that yes he is an injury waiting to happen. He has has a good pre season and start and looks brighter than some of his fellow players. That's testament to his dedication and professionalism.

RD , you will know far more about his fitness than me. It took a long time and determination by him to get his hips sorted after the operation. Then unsurprisingly he picked up muscle issues when he got back to competitive action. He probably lived with the hip issues for too long trying to play through it. Its a harsh reality that yes he is an injury waiting to happen. He has has a good pre season and start and looks brighter than some of his fellow players. That's testament to his dedication and professionalism.

It still amazes me that we ever bought him. Took be one game to tell everyone here I thought he had a biomechancial issue; how our then scouts/Dof/coaches didn't see it I will never know.

I'm even more bemused that he got a new deal.

As I've said, if by some miracle he can keep improving this season, I'll be both delighted and amazed but inside I think we'll be having the same conversation about him again and again - I hope I'm wrong.

Not in the past a lover of Lamela as some may remember but I admit now that every time he plays HE PUTS IN A SHIFT...chasing and harrassing the opposition...if the star premadonas in our squad e.g like Eriksen and Ali had that same application and attitude we would be flying...

Chasing and harassing the opposition because his clumsy ball control has given the ball away in the first place. What is the point of him?

A few decent games and 90% poor ones have been his remit, for six years, he's not good enough to deliver for a whole season.

A few decent games and 90% poor ones have been his remit, for six years, he's not good enough to deliver for a whole season.

A poor game would receive a rating of 5 or less ? Lamela has an an average rating of around 7 for all games played. To say 90 % poor is questionable.

As Poch has said " we ain't no charity". Which is bollocks when it comes to certain players. His favourites.

I have never doubted his commitment. I even think he is a decent player. But 6 years of long term/small term injury problems is enough evidence to say " time to move one". He should have never been given a 4 year deal last summer. Totally undeserved, as harsh as that sounds.

I know he isn't going anywhere that much is obvious. He owes the club and fans an injury free season.

Spot on guys.

Enough of the "Old Guys" already. Is 53 really that old????

9 JDs ? Would that be your signing on fee or hourly wage !
Now we know where Nkoudou went wrong and I was blaming the coaching staff all along ! Maybe we need to give the ball boys a small hip flask to slip to Eriksen as he is taking corners .
Pep and Jurgen eat your hearts out , there is a new kid on the block !
Great post mate . Keep up the great work with your son and love the memories of football with your mates back in Scotland . From my days in east London, as a boy , everywhere was a pitch and anything could be a goal . Only thing that stopped us playing was the lack of street lights on the bomb sites that were ”our” White Hart Lane , when it got too dark to see your team mate and you hadn't noticed the goalie had buggered off home cos his dinner was ready and his mum dragged him him by his ear hole !
As you rightly say , thats where we learned our skills , you rant on mate , grumpy old man? I’m with you !

Great memories WW!

What a great post.

Sad thing is after our generation leaves this planet, there will no longer be memories like this to recall.

You just brought a memory of trying to see my mates in the dark. Once we moved to Leith, we were lucky as the Links (world's first Golf Course), was right outside our front door, and had park lights on the walk ways which allowed us to play until very late. Even in winter, we'd play in the snow, bending balls around the trees with both feet.

Just a quick wee story.

Every summer, a football carnival would come to our patch,just outside my parents' hotel on Leith Links, with teams from all over Edinburgh and some from out of town. It was six aside I think. I approached the governing body and they allowed my mates and I to play in the tournament even although we were not a designated and official team. I lived there for 3 summers and we won the entire tournament each year. We each won a bag of crisps...so were well rewarded.