Manchester City (The Citizens) vs Tottenham Hotspur | Vital Football

Manchester City (The Citizens) vs Tottenham Hotspur

he's outwitted Pep a couple times before but I'm not at all confident that tactics are going to get it done.

They have better players across most of the pitch and if one of them is having a bad day, they've usually got another one on the bench to take over who would probably walk into our starting XI at the moment given the form/injuries/suspensions we're dealing with.

They're also probably out for revenge for their brutal CL exit. It'll take a similarly herculean effort to get anything from this I'd imagine.

Highly decorated tacticians have failed to outwit Pep. I just hope Poch motivates the players to play beyond themselves as he has done so on occasion before, then we might have a chance.

I rarely suggest going gung ho but in this case it's probably our best chance. Just go at them relentlessly and outscore them . Letting them play with time on the ball and sitting back would probably be suicide.

he's outwitted Pep a couple times before but I'm not at all confident that tactics are going to get it done.

They have better players across most of the pitch and if one of them is having a bad day, they've usually got another one on the bench to take over who would probably walk into our starting XI at the moment given the form/injuries/suspensions we're dealing with.

They're also probably out for revenge for their brutal CL exit. It'll take a similarly herculean effort to get anything from this I'd imagine.

Highly decorated tacticians have failed to outwit Pep. I just hope Poch motivates the players to play beyond themselves as he has done so on occasion before, then we might have a chance.

I've turned down the chance to be there.

That will give you some idea of what chance I think we've got.

But, miracles can and sometimes do happen.

One thing Poch could do is to highlight their professional foul approach to defending in his press interview...bound to make headlines and focus the spotlight on their players...might give us an edge.

Can't say I'm looking forward to this at the moment, can only see 1 outcome unfortunately.

Would love to see Lo Celso chucked in although I guess the best we can hope for is a sub cameo.

Lloris, KWP, Toby, Jan, Rose, Winks, Sissoko, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Moura, Kane

Eriksen for Lo Celso if not.

I have an idea the problem with it is that the player best suited to the job is probably Dele. Part one is Rodri I saw against West ham he is still playing at La liga pace and turned over possession a few times thinking he had time a player with legs on him throughout force errors.Part two: Kyle Walker is what he is a man described by a British Olympic coach as the fittest man he has ever measured...but he is thick time and again he leaves space behind if we get Lucas to run on to the space he vacates on his endless bursts and have N'dombele pick him out Walker will foul In recovery. Penalties and cards could ensue. Then Kane and Lucas have to be lethal any chance must be punished. That's all I've got and pray for a collective off day.

I would very much like for Pochettino to show some tactical genius this weekend. Is that asking too much?

If he chooses to remain slumped in his seat for 1st 45 mins and shows not having learnt from 'his fault' v Villa, the lads may as well ignore Poch's instructions and just go out and express themselves. If ever a game needed a proactive coach from the off, this has to be it. Else all over in 45 mins. Forget the CL 1/4 as a benchmark. Pep already has his new boy(s) starting whilst we bring our up to slow customary adaptation. We have makeshift defence whilst they have a potent established front line.

I think our only hope of getting something is through defensive solidarity and fluency in breaks.....and clinical!

Sonny did the damage in CL. Can't see Sissoko doing the same!, nor Lamela. May be Moura and Kane to shine?.

Damage limitation. Wished I had the optimism of front pagers, 3-0 Spurs?!

If we get the right players and formation, we can get a result.

We need players who can hold the ball, pass and defend. Sissoko and Moura don't do any of these, but we don't have an alternative to Moura.

Can't afford to sit Jan out, his ability to play the ball from the backline is second to none. Same for Eriksen. Bury the hatchet and give our team the best chance possible.

Looking at City's league losses/draws last year:
Wolves played a 3-4-3
Pool played a 4-3-3
Chavs, Palace, Leicester all played a 4-3-3
Newcastle played a 5-4-1

Besides a lot of luck, it seems that a 2 man midfield isn't the best option. I'd test the waters in the first half with a 3-4-3 or a 4-3-3. If we play the diamond we will be taken to the cleaners.

Last season we lost both league games 1-0. In both games we held our own and could easily have drawn - unlike our matches in previous seasons.

In the Champions League we won the 1st leg 1-0 and only lost the 2nd leg by the odd goal in seven, albeit we were hanging on for dear life at the end. But over 2 legs we shared the goals.

So we can compete. It's unfortunate Son isn't available as he caused them no end of problems last season but we do have new options that were unavailable to us last season.

However, expecting Poch to come up with a specific game plan is fanciful at best. I've lost count of the number of times in big matches against the big teams that we've wanted him to do this, but he never has. So I'm not expecting anything different this time.

Last season we lost both league games 1-0. In both games we held our own and could easily have drawn - unlike our matches in previous seasons.

In the Champions League we won the 1st leg 1-0 and only lost the 2nd leg by the odd goal in seven, albeit we were hanging on for dear life at the end. But over 2 legs we shared the goals.

So we can compete. It's unfortunate Son isn't available as he caused them no end of problems last season but we do have new options that were unavailable to us last season.

However, expecting Poch to come up with a specific game plan is fanciful at best. I've lost count of the number of times in big matches against the big teams that we've wanted him to do this, but he never has. So I'm not expecting anything different this time.

In each of those games someone made a brain fart inside the first 15-20 minutes which gifted them a goal/pen

Any tactics come second to making sure we don’t do that again.

There are positions we should try to expose.
Stones looked ropey at times against West Ham, Zincenko can be got at at left back and Rodri although a good player wasn't up to the pace of the Premiership and was found hesitating a couple of times.
As I've said previously KWP has his work cut out against Sterling and we definately need Jan out there. If we need the pace of Sanchez then it should be at the expense of Toby. Sanchez and Jan is much more assured than Toby and Sanchez.
A midfield of Ndombele and Sissoko with Eriksen just in front