Managerial merry go round | Page 114 | Vital Football

Managerial merry go round

I hope this does not sound racist because I hate racism. But I cannot understand this fascination for employing Foreign Managers and mostly Spaniards at the moment. It used to be just Premier League teams that did it but it is now filtering down the Leagues. We know Guardiola is a great Manager but he is unique.
But before doing nothing for Southampton Selles was Manager for Valencia U18 that's hell of a CV. I doubt these guys come cheap either.
Mind you I suppose our Manager is also a foreign Manager as he is from the Irish Republic so perhaps I have just shot myself in the foot!!
However he did spend his playing and coaching career in the English game so perhaps that gets me out of jail?

Duff confirmed as manager of Swansea

Surprising he has got a Championship job.

Sounds stupid seeing they got to the play off final but I don't think he is a decent manager. Barnsley's performance last season was due to their resources and not his management.

Does seem an odd appointment for Swansea, Russell Martin who is the connoisseur of the free flowing passing game to Duff who mainly plays the long ball game. Be gone by February.

Sounds stupid seeing they got to the play off final but I don't think he is a decent manager. Barnsley's performance last season was due to their resources and not his management.

Does seem an odd appointment for Swansea, Russell Martin who is the connoisseur of the free flowing passing game to Duff who mainly plays the long ball game. Be gone by February.
Nah, I'm not having that.

He took over a Barnsley side who'd won 6(!) the previous season, had one of the worst Championship defences and only scored 33 goals. They sold their ever present CB, their two first choice strikers (both proven at being decent L1 players), trimmed 15 or so from the first team squad and built a new one whose best performers were one from FGR and one who'd spent most of his time out on loan at Accrington and Morecambe. They'll be a decent paying side, but I'd suggest Ipswich, Wednesday, Posh, Oxford, Bolton, Derby spent more. Given the circumstances, resources and resources only doesn't sort that mess out.

And that's before you start looking at his spell at Cheltenham where they went from lower mid-table to getting promoted to L1 and then comfortably safe in L1 in their first season.

His win ratio isn't a million miles off Cowley.

Nah, I'm not having that.

He took over a Barnsley side who'd won 6(!) the previous season, had one of the worst Championship defences and only scored 33 goals. They sold their ever present CB, their two first choice strikers (both proven at being decent L1 players), trimmed 15 or so from the first team squad and built a new one whose best performers were one from FGR and one who'd spent most of his time out on loan at Accrington and Morecambe. They'll be a decent paying side, but I'd suggest Ipswich, Wednesday, Posh, Oxford, Bolton, Derby spent more. Given the circumstances, resources and resources only doesn't sort that mess out.

And that's before you start looking at his spell at Cheltenham where they went from lower mid-table to getting promoted to L1 and then comfortably safe in L1 in their first season.

His win ratio isn't a million miles off Cowley.

All opinions Luke. Looked at his players used in management for Cheltenham and Barnsley and I can't see a single one that has gone on to better things.

Championship monies gave Barnsley a huge leg up.

He'll be found out in the Championship. MK did as good of a job with Lincoln with the resources in comparison to Duff and his resource available. MK had one year in the job, Duff has had 5/6 seasons in LG1/2. Kennedy has lost less games as imps manager than Duff as Barnsley manager.

Re: bold. That seems like a very good point. Either the existing players will need to change their whole approach, or duff has to change his approach with those existing players. Or wholesale changes in the squad are needed. Either way it doesn’t look like a smooth transition, and a car crash if they only get it half right.

contrast to what brighton (for example) did when potter left.

It could well be a change in direction of play given that they are close to appointing Luton's former COO as the new 'Director of Football Operations' and they were fairly route one.

Failed Walsall manager Matt Taylor (yes, another one) in at Shrewsbury:

Is it my imagination, or are some daft appointments taking place in L1 (see post #2272 above)?

Failed Walsall manager Matt Taylor (yes, another one) in at Shrewsbury:

Is it my imagination, or are some daft appointments taking place in L1 (see post #2272 above)?
His senior managerial career consists of 36 games (9 wins) before being sacked in February. Shrewsbury obviously seen something no one else has...

Taylor to Shrewsbury is quite the shift in style and type of player required if I remember correctly about his Walsall spell.

Shrewsbury do seem to have a decent core of players so I'm not sure they'll necessarily struggle without Cotterill as things stand.