Maloney on GMR | Page 2 | Vital Football

Maloney on GMR

On the flip side the players feel like they've been wrong, don't believe in the project anymore and a lot of what was being talked about was reducing costs, being smaller and more efficient.

You say you understand them using, what they believed was a legal right, and in the next sentence talk about it not being correct because it could have affected the club, affecting fans etc. Why would that have been a consideration for them if they feel the club itself had let them down?

If the club has let them go, it was decided it was in the clubs interest to not challenge the players legal understanding.

If you decide you don't want to goto a specific restaurant on a Friday night do you take into consideration your bill may keep them in business? Nope, nor should you. Sometimes being emotionally separated from things allows you to make better decisions, on the flip side being too emotionally invested can make you make worse decisions.

Has Whatmouth let down the fans? I'd say more so for being a bad person and cheating on his wife, than exercising a legal option on his contract.

I am talking specifically about the timing of handing in notice, which according to Maloney blindsided everyone at a delicate point when the deal wasn't done.

Something like that could've threatened the deal going through - just like back in admin Ganye and the American's verbally agreed to buy the club then the administrators sold 3 first teamers immediately after and the potential new owners were upset that the package was devalued and wouldn't go through with the deal. In that instance we managed to survive long enough to find a buyer but If Danson had pulled out then we'd probably not have a club - that is the point.

The players did have the right to hand in notice - but why not do it earlier when the deal wasn't on the brink and the negotiations would factor in their departure? Or do it a day or two later when the deal was done and the clubs future secure? Or at the very least if they had to do it at the last minute at least tell Maloney that you were about to do it so at least they knew it was coming so they could prepare better to deal with it?

They choose to do it at the worst possible moment. Thankfully Danson was still willing to go ahead with the deal but he's a business man, if the asset you're buying drops in value for the terms you've agreed then he could easily have said he doesn't fancy it anymore or try to renegotiate the deal when time was already against us with another pay day, another points deduction and HMRC looming.

They pulled the rug at the last second when the clubs survival and everyone's jobs depended on the deal going through. If they were going to do it, they still didn't have to do it like that, and that is the bit i have a problem with.

Last edited:
It is immorally wrong how they went about it, but on another flip side, I suppose they have to think about themselves, their families & their careers.

It is immorally wrong how they went about it, but on another flip side, I suppose they have to think about themselves, their families & their careers.
That shouldn't stop fans voicing their opinions on the shithouses that could have f***ed up the takeover.

There is a way to leave a club and what they did is despicable and unforgivable.

On the flip side the players feel like they've been wrong, don't believe in the project anymore and a lot of what was being talked about was reducing costs, being smaller and more efficient.

You say you understand them using, what they believed was a legal right, and in the next sentence talk about it not being correct because it could have affected the club, affecting fans etc. Why would that have been a consideration for them if they feel the club itself had let them down?

If the club has let them go, it was decided it was in the clubs interest to not challenge the players legal understanding.

If you decide you don't want to goto a specific restaurant on a Friday night do you take into consideration your bill may keep them in business? Nope, nor should you. Sometimes being emotionally separated from things allows you to make better decisions, on the flip side being too emotionally invested can make you make worse decisions.

Has Whatmouth let down the fans? I'd say more so for being a bad person and cheating on his wife, than exercising a legal option on his contract.

Wlatic...imo u normally have a reasonable reply / response to posts but on this one I can't see where you're coming from, unless of course your one of said players agent 😉.....the players no doubt knew of impending sale & only an idiot of a player would see that it could have scuppered the whole deal....which imo leads me to believe they are selfish, ignorant twats who could have destroyed the club, their fellow players, backroom staff ,stadium staff & of course the fans.
Yes I get them feeling totally let down ( Previous Owners) , I get them pissed off with false promises (PO's), that they were lied to ( PO's) & had little faith of things improving(PO's)...but & it's a big BUT with a new owner about to sign the dotted line then surely to f@ck they could have hung on a little 🙂🤔.
As to your analogy of a specific restaurant....bears no resemblance or comparison to what the likes of JW, WK etc did, those players were employees not customers of a restaurant ffs.
Your question of, has Whatmough let the fans down.....bloody right he has, cud have done what he wanted to do as soon as takeover went through or later on....not after pre season.....morally corrupt as a player & a husband / father.

They could've still put their themselves, families and careers first and handed in notice without risking derailing the sale with the way they went about it and the timing.

There was no need to put the clubs survival at risk but they did it anyway.

On the field we have to hit the ground running. We are starting eight points behind others. If we don't then we could be 12 to 15 points behind safety by Christmas.
I'm sure we won't be as there are plenty decent enough players in the squad to avoid this but it is a worry. Do you not think we need to start putting wins together asap to reach that target of staying up?
I agree we’d LIKE to hit the ground running but that isn’t necessarily a realistic expectation, given the probability of having two or three (possibly more) youngsters and blending new players in as well.
I hope we do get off to a good start but won’t start to panic if we don’t.
46 games is a long season and we have time to build up to mid table even with -8 and an indifferent start won’t be welcome but nor should it prove insurmountabl.

Wlatic...imo u normally have a reasonable reply / response to posts but on this one I can't see where you're coming from, unless of course your one of said players agent 😉.....the players no doubt knew of impending sale & only an idiot of a player would see that it could have scuppered the whole deal....which imo leads me to believe they are selfish, ignorant twats who could have destroyed the club, their fellow players, backroom staff ,stadium staff & of course the fans.
Yes I get them feeling totally let down ( Previous Owners) , I get them pissed off with false promises (PO's), that they were lied to ( PO's) & had little faith of things improving(PO's)...but & it's a big BUT with a new owner about to sign the dotted line then surely to f@ck they could have hung on a little 🙂🤔.
As to your analogy of a specific restaurant....bears no resemblance or comparison to what the likes of JW, WK etc did, those players were employees not customers of a restaurant ffs.
Your question of, has Whatmough let the fans down.....bloody right he has, cud have done what he wanted to do as soon as takeover went through or later on....not after pre season.....morally corrupt as a player & a husband / father.
From a personal point of view, if I've got a contract and I'm messed about on payment I'll only continue doing it as long as it suits me and I'll be actively looking for something else. My main point is from the fans point of view players should be loyal, from a players point of view they are disposable and the majority of clubs would get rid of them if they weren't useful.

Asking to term the contract is still way better than sitting there and seeing the contract out.

It's a tough sell to claim everyone that handed in their notice always puts their families first!
I'm sure in his takeover report Kendrick said there were last minute hurdles that nearly knocked the whole thing off (possibly twitter because I cant find it now). It's not wild speculation to suggest the devaluation of playing assests was it.
They've used a loophole entirely for their own greedy and selfish gain and noone is going to sell it to me as anything different.
I side with Hindley here though - they're long gone in to the archives of former Latics players, so sod em

The greedy bastards could have handed their notices in and buggered off straightaway, but no, they take another few grand a piece, go on a club break to get fit at WAFC expense, and bugger off leaving us light on players and thousands of ££££'s out of pocket on the eve of the season.
I hope his wife takes him for every single penny he earns at nob end and every single penny the fucker stole off Wigan Athletic.

The greedy bastards could have handed their notices in and buggered off straightaway, but no, they take another few grand a piece, go on a club break to get fit at WAFC expense, and bugger off leaving us light on players and thousands of ££££'s out of pocket on the eve of the season.
I hope his wife takes him for every single penny he earns at nob end and every single penny the fucker stole off Wigan Athletic.

It's a shame we can't bill Whatmough for the Hungary trip and use of Latics facilities before he fooked off.

It's a shame we can't bill Whatmough for the Hungary trip and use of Latics facilities before he fooked off.
At the time I was commenting on here saying it made sense, they'd given notice to void out their contract so they wanted to make sure they fulfilled all the terms. From the clubs side we had to take them because we were expressing that the legal vehicle they were trying to use wasn't valid. Catch 22, but I agree waste of time and money, they could have take two more of our youth.

Maloney did a phone in on GMR, it's worth a listen. A few main points he mentioned if you've not got time to listen:

The appeal against points deduction has failed. We definitely start on -8.

The players who handed in notice did it directly before Danson bought the club. Maloney wished they'd have talked to him before they did it. He tried to convince them to stay and we were appealing against it but decided to let them go as even if we won we'd be left with players who didn't want to be here.

U21 manager and goal keeping coach Stephen Crainy and Jack Cudworthy promoted to the first team but will continue to work with U21s.

We weren't in a position to pay big fees regardless but the ban on paying fees this window or next has prevented him signing some young players for low fees.

We'll switch between back 4 and 5 over the season.

There is no plans to bring in another striker.

Kerr probably 2 months away from fitness. Magennis 3 weeks until he rejoins full training, Clare may be fit for Northampton.

He doesn't speak to Danson that much but he is available when needed. He mostly speaks with Ben Goodburn.

He needs to completely rebuild some departments including recruitment.

He has already been speaking to Warriors and is very interested to see what they do that he could apply. He is very interested in their use of real time in game analytics that we currently don't do.

A lot of work has gone into changing the way we play and everyone has embraced it, but it's hard work. But Maloney believes that it's the best way to win games and will also be more enjoyable to watch for the fans.

He wants to be here a long time and eventually get the club back to the Prem, playing good football but it's got to be done in a sensible and sustainable way. In the short term we've got to get enough points to stay up as quickly as possible and see where that takes us. Then build back up to the Championship in the following couple of seasons.

There's plenty more discussed at the link below:

Ref: The appeal against points deduction has failed. We definitely start on -8.

The only reference I could find regading the 23/24 -8 points reduction is the above post.

Ref: The appeal against points deduction has failed. We definitely start on -8.

The only reference I could find regading the 23/24 -8 points reduction is the above post.

I did think it was strange at the time that Maloney in one interview seemed to be the only mention. Last time we appealed a points deduction (for admin) we spent hundreds of thousands on lawyers and had a hearing with an independent panel but didn't hear about anything like that in this instance. So not sure if it was a completely different process of appeal or if we even had the option to get the lawyers in.