Maloney on GMR | Vital Football

Maloney on GMR

king_dezeeuw06

Vital Champions League
Maloney did a phone in on GMR, it's worth a listen. A few main points he mentioned if you've not got time to listen:

The appeal against points deduction has failed. We definitely start on -8.

The players who handed in notice did it directly before Danson bought the club. Maloney wished they'd have talked to him before they did it. He tried to convince them to stay and we were appealing against it but decided to let them go as even if we won we'd be left with players who didn't want to be here.

U21 manager and goal keeping coach Stephen Crainy and Jack Cudworthy promoted to the first team but will continue to work with U21s.

We weren't in a position to pay big fees regardless but the ban on paying fees this window or next has prevented him signing some young players for low fees.

We'll switch between back 4 and 5 over the season.

There is no plans to bring in another striker.

Kerr probably 2 months away from fitness. Magennis 3 weeks until he rejoins full training, Clare may be fit for Northampton.

He doesn't speak to Danson that much but he is available when needed. He mostly speaks with Ben Goodburn.

He needs to completely rebuild some departments including recruitment.

He has already been speaking to Warriors and is very interested to see what they do that he could apply. He is very interested in their use of real time in game analytics that we currently don't do.

A lot of work has gone into changing the way we play and everyone has embraced it, but it's hard work. But Maloney believes that it's the best way to win games and will also be more enjoyable to watch for the fans.

He wants to be here a long time and eventually get the club back to the Prem, playing good football but it's got to be done in a sensible and sustainable way. In the short term we've got to get enough points to stay up as quickly as possible and see where that takes us. Then build back up to the Championship in the following couple of seasons.

There's plenty more discussed at the link below:

Thanks KDZ, hadn't realised that he was on. Just given it a listen, think that Maloney came accross really well and I'm feeling quite optimistic for the season. Just waaiting on the negativity/implosion on here that he's going watching the Rugby on friday :ROFLMAO:

I always feel positive every time Maloney speaks & the vision he has. Just hope some of our fans give him the time.
He will be given time. Not sure how much though. Let's just see how he looks. He got the benefit of the doubt last season even though he didn't turn things around but this season it's on him. He has been part of the cull of players and he has had the opportunity to bring in his own players. He has also been supportive of the owners streamlining the club. He needs to hit the ground running and start pulling points back immediately. Good luck to him.

He will be given time. Not sure how much though. Let's just see how he looks. He got the benefit of the doubt last season even though he didn't turn things around but this season it's on him. He has been part of the cull of players and he has had the opportunity to bring in his own players. He has also been supportive of the owners streamlining the club. He needs to hit the ground running and start pulling points back immediately. Good luck to him.
Does that include Saturday when we are away to the biggest club in the league?
We need to back him and give him time to build the club in a sustainable way. Success this season and the first target should be to stay up and seeing as this squad is a lot stronger than the one Richardson kept up in admin, even with -8, that’s something I’d expect us to achieve.
To demand he hits the ground running after the last 6 months we’ve had, is in my opinion ridiculous and I’m just glad that Mike Danson doesn’t seemingly do social media.

Listened to it live

The little snigger to the DFS shirt sponsor question was great.

Anyone else fancy trying to be his season sponsor at his new club, we could call ourselves, say, SCS?

Listened to it live

The little snigger to the DFS shirt sponsor question was great.

Anyone else fancy trying to be his season sponsor at his new club, we could call ourselves, say, SCS?

I reckon Dave from Skem is missing out on an ideal opportunity here. 😁

Reactions: GSM
"The players who handed in notice did it directly before Danson bought the club. Maloney wished they'd have talked to him before they did it. He tried to convince them to stay and we were appealing against it but decided to let them go as even if we won we'd be left with players who didn't want to be here."

Thanks for the post KDZ, the interview certainly answers a few of the questions that have been asked.

It would appear from what has been said that the players had already decided to hand in their notices after the last late payment and had done it en masse. It had been assumed that they had made their decisions independently and at various times and that some had done it after the take over. This now puts a different spin on it and allows us to understand more.

I had wondered why the club had not put up a stronger defence but Maloney clarifies this when he says that we would have been left with players who did not want to be here. I remember in an earlier interview him making reference to this and no doubt during his conversations with the players he highlighted the ones that were so disgruntled there was no possibility of changing their minds and they were the first to go. He would then have tried to convince the others to change their minds and when they stood their ground decided it would be better, for the sake of the dressing room, to let them go.

This answers the questions I had as to why there was a delay in players leaving and why some were taken on the trip to Hungary.

Sorry but I don't agree with any of this. Maloney has had his hands tied behind his back for the full amount of time he was here, until the day after the arrival of Danson.
True Latics fans will give him time, and it's going take lots of time. But I for one am confident he'll get there.

Seems the Preston fans aren't overly impressed with Keane.

Keane was a player who often operated on the fringes of the game over the last 12 to 18 months and not getting that involved in the build up play. But we knew if you put up with that as he's likely to pop up with a goal or assist if you persisted with him.

At Preston if he operates on the fringes and doesn't get a goal or assist early on he'll probably get dropped and may struggle to get the game time he needs to show his worth.

Keane could be frustrating for us but we understood what he was like and got the best out of him. Going somewhere as a new signing you have an expectation to come in and make an impact and if you don't they could write you off rather than show patients.

Keane is a player who's struggled everywhere he's been except here. It wouldn't shock me if he ended up struggling at Preston. A bit like Ellington - some players just fit at certain clubs and after they leave aren't the same for anyone else - Keane could be one of those.

Does that include Saturday when we are away to the biggest club in the league?
We need to back him and give him time to build the club in a sustainable way. Success this season and the first target should be to stay up and seeing as this squad is a lot stronger than the one Richardson kept up in admin, even with -8, that’s something I’d expect us to achieve.
To demand he hits the ground running after the last 6 months we’ve had, is in my opinion ridiculous and I’m just glad that Mike Danson doesn’t seemingly do social media.
On the field we have to hit the ground running. We are starting eight points behind others. If we don't then we could be 12 to 15 points behind safety by Christmas.
I'm sure we won't be as there are plenty decent enough players in the squad to avoid this but it is a worry. Do you not think we need to start putting wins together asap to reach that target of staying up?

Keane was a player who often operated on the fringes of the game over the last 12 to 18 months and not getting that involved in the build up play. But we knew if you put up with that as he's likely to pop up with a goal or assist if you persisted with him.

At Preston if he operates on the fringes and doesn't get a goal or assist early on he'll probably get dropped and may struggle to get the game time he needs to show his worth.

Keane could be frustrating for us but we understood what he was like and got the best out of him. Going somewhere as a new signing you have an expectation to come in and make an impact and if you don't they could write you off rather than show patients.

Keane is a player who's struggled everywhere he's been except here. It wouldn't shock me if he ended up struggling at Preston. A bit like Ellington - some players just fit at certain clubs and after they leave aren't the same for anyone else - Keane could be one of those.
I can't see Keane starting many at Knob End.

We were the only club were Keane scored goals aplenty and I put this down to the fact that he was brought in during admin and afforded the time to settle because there was no one else to replace him at the club.

I somehow doubt that the same will happen at Preston.

The thing with Keane is prior to us, he played upfront and he clearly isn't suited to being a striker. Whilst he's good at attacking crosses in the air, when it comes to battling biggerz stronger centre half's to try and hold the ball up as a striker, that isn't him.

When he's the furthest man forward, centre half's get tight on him and he doesn't have the pace to get away.

As a number 10 it's totally different, has more space deeper to pick the ball up and carry it forward. It's ideal to allow him to make those late drifts into the box into pockets of space, without defenders having time to get close.

He has great positional awareness of where to go in the box with his runs in and seems to have a sixth sense of where the ball will land, which is why he had so many chances in great areas, he missed a lot of sitters but you knew he would get several chances a game and likely put 1 away even with misses. So even when he has a very quiet game, we're he doesn't get involved enough, you know he'll still have chances and his goal and assists record despite this, was very impressive.

If Preston play him as a striker, he'll be useless and probably score about 5 goals max in 46 games. As a number 10, he'd get them 15-20 goals. Seems like they are playing him as a striker.

Given the fact they've just signed an error prone Whatmough, who plays the same role as Storey, who was far better than Whatmough last season, so to offer big wages on a 3 year deal is mad. It seems as though Preston scouts aren't probably watching the players they sign. They are showing the sort of decline and transfer mistakes an established Championship makes in the run up to relegation.

I've been thinking about what Maloney said; that the players handed in notice on the eve of Dansons takeover without any prior indication to him. That is a serious c--- move and makes me very pissed off at them all.

If anyone is about to buy a club and their best players and most assets walk out of the door at the last minute it devalues what you are buying and could potentially have collapsed the deal which in turn would've killed the club. Thankfully Danson didn't pull out but I can't imagine he was happy with what was happening and if he did pull out you couldn't have really blamed him as it was a big blow to lose an Irish international, your top scorer and players of the season from last time you were at this level.

What the players went through under the previous owners wasn't right, and if they legally had the right to terminate their contract you accept that. But they must have known putting notice in at such a delicate time in the negotiations with so much on the line was putting the clubs survival at risk and that I can't forgive.

If they want to go after the takeover goes through then fine but don't put the jobs of your team mates, the non playing staff and the club the fans love because you cant wait to put the knife in. It's not like any of them likely got massive pay rises or went to big glamorous clubs - absolutely piss poor. It's one thing jumping ship but it's another to punch some holes in the ship to increase the risk sinking it while others are trying to desperately keep it afloat.

I've been thinking about what Maloney said; that the players handed in notice on the eve of Dansons takeover without any prior indication to him. That is a serious c--- move and makes me very pissed off at them all.

If anyone is about to buy a club and their best players and most assets walk out of the door at the last minute it devalues what you are buying and could potentially have collapsed the deal which in turn would've killed the club. Thankfully Danson didn't pull out but I can't imagine he was happy with what was happening and if he did pull out you couldn't have really blamed him as it was a big blow to lose an Irish international, your top scorer and players of the season from last time you were at this level.

What the players went through under the previous owners wasn't right, and if they legally had the right to terminate their contract you accept that. But they must have known putting notice in at such a delicate time in the negotiations with so much on the line was putting the clubs survival at risk and that I can't forgive.

If they want to go after the takeover goes through then fine but don't put the jobs of your team mates, the non playing staff and the club the fans love because you cant wait to put the knife in. It's not like any of them likely got massive pay rises or went to big glamorous clubs - absolutely piss poor. It's one thing jumping ship but it's another to punch some holes in the ship to increase the risk sinking it while others are trying to desperately keep it afloat.
On the flip side the players feel like they've been wrong, don't believe in the project anymore and a lot of what was being talked about was reducing costs, being smaller and more efficient.

You say you understand them using, what they believed was a legal right, and in the next sentence talk about it not being correct because it could have affected the club, affecting fans etc. Why would that have been a consideration for them if they feel the club itself had let them down?

If the club has let them go, it was decided it was in the clubs interest to not challenge the players legal understanding.

If you decide you don't want to goto a specific restaurant on a Friday night do you take into consideration your bill may keep them in business? Nope, nor should you. Sometimes being emotionally separated from things allows you to make better decisions, on the flip side being too emotionally invested can make you make worse decisions.

Has Whatmouth let down the fans? I'd say more so for being a bad person and cheating on his wife, than exercising a legal option on his contract.

Last edited: