Main Stand | Page 61 | Vital Football

Main Stand

born in Nottingham and grew up in long Eaton. Toton is nice. And fiercely Nottingham. However, I cannot think why a stadium there would work. Needs to be on the banks of the Trent.

Been in property and land valuation for over 35 years. When coming up with a valuation you need to work backwards from what can be built. Without that you only have speculation. Then you’re challenged by what the local area needs over what builders want to construct. Someone already mentioned houses and another said high rise. But then you need schooling and other amenities. So would a modern business park be better? Well, enough exist in the city already.

Add to the above the perhaps indifference of councillors and others who will be making the final decisions. They may well believe Forest moving to a new shiny bowl is excellent for us fans. We even have a divide amongst ourselves. How can those who don’t feel the buzz of walking over the Trent Bridge with the WFCG all lit up make a final call that suits everybody.

Next we have our own ambition. Newcastle have done much research on a new stadium over expanding and they say the ‘sweet spot’ is c60,000 as it’s about maximising year round income and not having as many fans in as possible. (I’m personally unsure about that). So, do Forest want 50,000 new ground or a 38,000 existing one? They are a business first and foremost to themselves.

If we could bulldoze most of the current stadium, build something that fulfils out ambition, fan base and design criteria then we’d all be happy. But that is not easy.

Been in property and land valuation for over 35 years. When coming up with a valuation you need to work backwards from what can be built. Without that you only have speculation. Then you’re challenged by what the local area needs over what builders want to construct. Someone already mentioned houses and another said high rise. But then you need schooling and other amenities. So would a modern business park be better? Well, enough exist in the city already.

Add to the above the perhaps indifference of councillors and others who will be making the final decisions. They may well believe Forest moving to a new shiny bowl is excellent for us fans. We even have a divide amongst ourselves. How can those who don’t feel the buzz of walking over the Trent Bridge with the WFCG all lit up make a final call that suits everybody.

Next we have our own ambition. Newcastle have done much research on a new stadium over expanding and they say the ‘sweet spot’ is c60,000 as it’s about maximising year round income and not having as many fans in as possible. (I’m personally unsure about that). So, do Forest want 50,000 new ground or a 38,000 existing one? They are a business first and foremost to themselves.

If we could bulldoze most of the current stadium, build something that fulfils out ambition, fan base and design criteria then we’d all be happy. But that is not easy.
Filling a stadium for 20 games a season does not make a huge profit. The stadium needs income 360 days a year thus exhibition, conference and retail space as paramount. Parking and transport links to support exhibition and events is also important but this will be for several thousand not 40,000.

Newcastle can sell 60,000 seats but would think Forest can manage only 40,000 week in week out.

I think we could do 45,000 but absolutely need to be doing a whole lot more than match days. People travel to see top musical artists. I’m off to Cardiff to see Springsteen soon. Be great to get that here. Also, been to Coventry Ricoh arena to see music more than football matches. It can be done. I’ve only been to the city ground once on a non football reason and that was a job interview.

This is something that has been mentioned consistently for years. We have just never really made a concerted effort to maximise our revenue on a number of fronts.

Even though it is unlikely that my health will ever let me go back on a consistent basis I would be gutted if we had to leave the City Ground. The walk to the stadium is unmatched in the English leagues. That being said, we are being held to ransom and there will come a point where we have to say bollocks to ‘em and find a new site. We can always divert the Trent… 😳

agree. the short sightedness of the local authorities is as annoying as it is stupid.

saw an evening standard piece saying Leicester is the regional leading city. wtaf!

Nottingham is being overtaken. a proper multi purpose stadium would help to turn that around.

fans might have to get political and vote down anyone who isn't prepared to drive a bulldozer through the blockages.

we missed out at the start of the PL due to carpet baggers and we will do so again if we don't get this stadium built.

Filling a stadium for 20 games a season does not make a huge profit. The stadium needs income 360 days a year thus exhibition, conference and retail space as paramount. Parking and transport links to support exhibition and events is also important but this will be for several thousand not 40,000.

Newcastle can sell 60,000 seats but would think Forest can manage only 40,000 week in week out.

spuds are coining it from events rather than conferences. forest should do the same. decent live music could easily fill a 40k stadium. other events could be staged with the right infrastructure. spuds have a retractable pitch (although the pussies can't make it revolve).

no we can't be as big as spuds as they have London's north tit to milk off but we can do a heck of a lot more than the dead space we have now.

agree. logistical nightmare but, and this is the key point, putting a 40k plus multi use stadium at the wfcg is the best long term option for the city, the club and all the people in the county.

not getting stuck in will see continued drift and decline.

Not easy, but is it achievable do you think?

Is there enough space? Would we be mired in planning applications for years given any proposed changes?

Not easy, but is it achievable do you think?

Is there enough space? Would we be mired in planning applications for years given any proposed changes?

it is physically possible but the complicated logistics create additional cost. It probably could just about squeeze onto the current footprint, maybe. In reality it would be better if we could clear a bit of space at the back of the main stand.

There are a lot interested parties and would almost certainly end up needing intervention (CPO) but it could be done both in terms of planning and construction (although we would probably have to spend 2 seasons playing at the county ground.

I think being stable in the Prem we could fill a 45-50k stadium and any redevelopment or new build should be to that capacity
45k for a city pop 600,000. Would struggle to fill that regularly. Empty seats lose atmosphere and more away fans. 40k max but plenty of event and exhibition space. Present plan as laid out to RBC, then rebuild Clough stand with exhibition hall at ground level and first level, pitch covering stored under Clough stand for events. Fountain in carpark. Extensions to parking at Holmpierre Point and Colwick with shuttle bus that runs along road built along side the Trent. Plenty event park plus lovely ride or walk in. Simples.

45k for a city pop 600,000. Would struggle to fill that regularly. Empty seats lose atmosphere and more away fans. 40k max but plenty of event and exhibition space. Present plan as laid out to RBC, then rebuild Clough stand with exhibition hall at ground level and first level, pitch covering stored under Clough stand for events. Fountain in carpark. Extensions to parking at Holmpierre Point and Colwick with shuttle bus that runs along road built along side the Trent. Plenty event park plus lovely ride or walk in. Simples.
We would fill a 45k Polly. Even if it's 40k for us and 5k away, and I agree that we need to rebuild the Clough also. Make it the same as the new main stand but extend it more towards the Trent End.

Final piece give the Trent End a facelift, maybe safe standing to get more in?

I think a dynamic approach would see an overhang of the river. Push back the main stand and utilise the corners. Sort the roof line of the Bridgford too. Think we’d all take a few years of builders in if it generated something unique. I only want more seats because I cannot get to any games.

There’s more fans beyond the greater Nottingham area too. Mansfield, Newark, long Eaton, Ilkeston are all full of fans. I live in south Derbyshire and there’s plenty here too. Success would increase desire. I also think we are ‘one to visit’ for away fans as they all tho k the city is full of single women, shops and bars etc

Would the club be able to purchase a secondary, external site to provide additional income? Not saying we should and I don't even know if it's a good idea. But for example, would it be within the rules for NFFC to buy landplots, develop them and sell them off? Or to own a string of hotels, or acquire and own a large retail site etc etc. Basically, are clubs allowed to use other external enterprises to generate income?

If EM is as ambitious as claimed, we need to be looking at a minimum of 50k.

There will be no trouble filling that for the big games - a change in pricing will fill up the games of less interest.

Getting bodies through the door is the important thing, they can then go to town on the concessions.

Increase non match day activity - conference facilities, corporate boxes doubling as Office space and so on - and you are doubling your money.

There’s more fans beyond the greater Nottingham area too. Mansfield, Newark, long Eaton, Ilkeston are all full of fans. I live in south Derbyshire and there’s plenty here too. Success would increase desire. I also think we are ‘one to visit’ for away fans as they all tho k the city is full of single women, shops and bars etc

I've seen young kids in the Leeds/Castleford/Wakefield areas wearing Forest shirts in public - something that I haven't seen in the 20 odd years I've lived up here. The fan base is expanding as our EPL inspired exposure has increased.

I'm on the fence though regarding future stadium plans because I can see both sides of the argument and both are valid. I guess in the long run it will come down to what the clubs business plan is (and hope that one of the re-treads from The Apprentice hasn't written it) and what our current owner thinks the ceiling is.

You'd think though that the club and all of the local authorities would see that is in their own best interests to cooperate and generate a fantastic long term future for the city and the region.

There will be no trouble filling that for the big games - a change in pricing will fill up the games of less interest.

Getting bodies through the door is the important thing, they can then go to town on the concessions.

Increase non match day activity - conference facilities, corporate boxes doubling as Office space and so on - and you are doubling your money.
the other might showed exactly why we should never leave the city ground. even doubling our capacity wouldnt take us any closer to the bigger clubs anyway. just futher away from teams like luton etc that we can stay above without expansion

spuds have quadrupled their revenue by opening up on non match days to host events. we should make the wfcg THE venue of choice for large events in the east midlands.