Lovell gone | Page 2 | Vital Football

Lovell gone

That’s fair enough but I think you will be hard pushed to find many managers who don’t at some point have a go at the officials, do we expect Scally to make appointments purely on an individuals character and demeanour?

If you think about it the timing isn't that bizarre. Scally is trying to get the fans back. He's dropped the prices which is one aspect that gets bums on seats, the other is good home performances that then generate atmosphere and excitement, which ultimately then leads to more sales.

Lovell, as much as we all love him, isn't delivering on that front. I think therefore Scally is putting a marker in the ground and making a statement of intent that he is serious about trying to take the club forward. We all know wholesale changes are required and if Evans is in charge then I think exciting times are afoot. Yeah he's not nice but nice doesn't get you anywhere, AP and SL have proved that.

As for I'm not supporting Gills under Evans, really !? Would you really boycott the games with the danger of being served up mediocre fayre every week if a Mr. Nice was in charge? I'd rather have a pantomime villain in charge any day of the week.

At the moment that's the only reason I can think of. Done a pretty decent job on a very limited budget, and he's probably not paid a fortune himself either.

Only reason I can think of regarding timing is to allow a new manager more time to get his ducks in line.

I haven't been the biggest fan of the way SL got us to play sometimes, but he's managed to keep up with a very young team. We're still in L1 next season, so we should all be grateful for that. Thanks Steve and good luck for the future
Its very unfortunate for Steve but i think we all saw it coming. There will be lot of support for him tomorrow and i,ll be in there too. I seriously hope the Bespectacled One has got something good up his sleeve otherwise his ‘ pack priestfield ‘ scheme may well backfire

I think SL did OK but was a one trick pony and that really showed at home and I expect SL knew that PS would make the hard decision.

I wish SL all the best and hope he gets another job in the league.

As for who is next you may as well be playing fantasy football, there will be a lot more applicants after the end of the season

I’d be surprised if Scally went into today planning to sack Lovell.
They’ve had a meeting and whatever was said between them meant Lovell had to go - perhaps they were discussing plans for next season.

" Let go. " What a complete load of tripe, he's been sacked and pretty shabblily too.

No logic in the timing because the ST deadline will be extended anyway.

A swift and impressive appointment is essential to help us forget this shambolic sacking.

I think SL did OK but was a one trick pony and that really showed at home and I expect SL knew that PS would make the hard decision.

I wish SL all the best and hope he gets another job in the league.

As for who is next you may as well be playing fantasy football, there will be a lot more applicants after the end of the season
Lots of applications maybe .But Scally has already made up his mind.It will end in tears no doubt Scally will hate him more than Pulis within a very short period after his appointment. All very sad a safe day for Gills fans.
I am just hoping that Patto can win tomorrow and next week and give something else a chance.

The club statement is very terse. There's clearly been a falling out - which would explain the very odd timing. Scally's shot from the hip again.

I’d be surprised if Scally went into today planning to sack Lovell.
They’ve had a meeting and whatever was said between them meant Lovell had to go - perhaps they were discussing plans for next season.
Dream on Lovell is not that type 100% loyal Gills in the blood type .Scally has planned this without a doubt. The appointment is as good as done .i have always sat on the fence over Scally but this move will see us in financial trouble with a fairly short period.
I perhaps should have seen it coming i fully regret renewing my season ticket.

If you think about it the timing isn't that bizarre. Scally is trying to get the fans back. He's dropped the prices which is one aspect that gets bums on seats, the other is good home performances that then generate atmosphere and excitement, which ultimately then leads to more sales.

Lovell, as much as we all love him, isn't delivering on that front. I think therefore Scally is putting a marker in the ground and making a statement of intent that he is serious about trying to take the club forward. We all know wholesale changes are required and if Evans is in charge then I think exciting times are afoot. Yeah he's not nice but nice doesn't get you anywhere, AP and SL have proved that.

As for I'm not supporting Gills under Evans, really !? Would you really boycott the games with the danger of being served up mediocre fayre every week if a Mr. Nice was in charge? I'd rather have a pantomime villain in charge any day of the week.

That's a strange way to look at it. Doing all this after a lot of fans will have already committed to buying ST is a bit odd IMO. All this does is create more uncertainty, mean undecided fans might wait to see who is appointed before deciding to get/renew a ST.

As a critic of SL I feel for him not to have been allowed to see out the season. Clearly the way he's been talking over the last few weeks this has come as a bolt from the blue and as OSK said the other day, maybe SL has finally asked questions as to his future, why Evans has reportedly been at games and this is the result.

I don't want Evans and whilst I haven't got or won't be getting a ST, I will be far less inclined go to games to watch a pantomime villain ( or ****) act his piece on the touchline (if indeed Evans is appointed) .He is a cock IMO, someone who will fuck anybody over to get his way and him and Raynor as a pair are odious, a pair who I personally don't want anywhere near my club, and regardless of how successful or not he is will not last working with PS (as most said about MA) and will hopefully if appointed will be given F all slack from day one by supporters.

Once again PS shows no class in the way he operates. It's not what he does its how he does it.

Last edited:
I hope you won’t be getting a stiffy over Evans. I agree with what you wrote - apart from the stiffy bit - now I guess we have to wait for the real reason for SL’s departure to be made known until then it speculation all the way.

It’s clear there’s been some sort of fall out with Scally. In recent weeks, Steve has been doing a lot of blaming the players with statement like “they let me down” - that’s correct and right, but sometimes you need to look at yourself and hold your hands up too. Scally does not like that sort of thing as we saw with Edinburgh and his famous “little old
Gillingham, what do you expect” line as we got gubbed 4-0 at home to a long ball Bolton team them lost to the ginats of Rochdale he started trott our before being sacked.

With hindsight the writing was on the wall after the Shrewsbury game with Scally’s comments in the Plymouth programme. Whoever the new manager is he/she will get my support because you stick by your own. That’s what being a supporter means to me.

Just you wait. The Israelis will attack Syria now. They always act when World Opinion's distracted.

I have a friend who will shortly be a league referee and if you think I am going to support a manager who thinks it is ok to yell abuse at him or any of his colleagues for 90 minutes with my blessing then you are wrong.I can totally understand why fans and management get hot on the collar and if you are talking of odd occasions I full understand that. Evans is no where near reasonable in my view. SO supporting him it out of the question.

Gills93 obviously doesn't think little things like that and this matter:
http://twohundredpercent.net/steve-evans-football-manager-convicted-criminal/

My immediate thoughts are that it’s terrible timing, whether you disagree with Lovell being the man to take us forward next season or not. Do it at the end of the season.

I was immediately thinking after the press conference Scally Met Lovell and suggested Steve Evans comes in as Director of Football, to which Lovell hit the roof. That said, the wording from the statement suggests he had his contract terminated but not summarily dismissed: “we would like to thank him...”.

If the suggestion was still made, leaving Lovell doing something to have his contract terminated but not through lamping Scally, then it’s still fucking poor timing. Do it at the end of the season.

If it’s anything other than this theory then God knows. SURELY a terrible decision even given the little information we have.

To be honest I’m not sure how the “Trends for you” part affects the standings of these, but fucking hell. Steve Evans and Scally trending before even Gills or Gillingham...

23011EE8-2202-4F14-8E29-E6817EBF5D84.jpeg