Lost Stadiums: Your Favourite(s)/Least Favourite(s)? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Lost Stadiums: Your Favourite(s)/Least Favourite(s)?

Least favourite: Fellows park Walsall. Wherever you stood, regardless of which stand you were in, it was a mighty poor view with fences, stanchions and a gentle slope to the terracing. I also visited it as it was being demolished and felt great sadness because of the history that was being swept away in all the twisted metal and churned up pitch. They were not even my team but I felt sorry at its loss. (Other crap grounds but with character, Elm park Reading, Manor ground Oxford, Gay Meadow Shrewsbury, Plough lane Wimbledon.)
Most favourite: Baseball ground Derby. Quirky, unique & with two teird stands. Superb.

Underhill (Barnet) - just seemed to epitomise non league at the time.
Millmoor (Rotherham) - to get to the away end you went down an alley at the side and were just a sitting target for missiles and abuse.

Oh! Just remembered Arsenals Highbury. Excellent staduim with bags of history where I saw W.B.A lose 2 x FA cup semi finals v Ipswich in 78 & v Q.P.R. in 82 (my brother is an Albion fan who lives in London. How could I not go?)

Vetch field was a dump but the worst is probably Feethams.

You are kidding, Feethams has to up there with most missed and most atmospheric and friendly away grounds you ever wished to visit as an away fan - sorely missed. I know Darlo fans who wished they had never vacated it.

Least favourite: Fellows park Walsall. Wherever you stood, regardless of which stand you were in, it was a mighty poor view with fences, stanchions and a gentle slope to the terracing.
Fellows Park always looked black, somehow. The stands, the surroundings, everything. It was a depressing place to go really, so perhaps it is no wonder that Walsall were one of the first to build elsewhere (albeit little more than a stone's throw away).

Saltergate at Chesterfield was awful. Probably didn't help that my sole visit there was a terrible performance when we were 3 down at half time whilst feeling really cold on a open terrace

Could have been the Peter Jackson era, about 2008, on a Friday night when Jack Lester had some fun against us. Lost 4-0 and freezing cold. First time I’ve ever left a game before the final whistle.

Saltergate and Belle Vue getting a few mentions but old stadiums like those with the old terracing behind the goal for away fans used create a great atmosphere when we had a good following and we won. I am sure 3-0 under Murph with Gordon Hobson and Co tearing Chesterfield to pieces and the 2-0 win at Donny in the pouring rain under KA will be remembered as 2 of the best away games. I’m a traditionalist and always enjoy the novelty and uniqueness of the old grounds. Grounds are remembered as the better ones when we’ve won well with a good atmosphere.

Moss Rose. Still there, of course, but that open away terrace could be brutal in poor weather.

Could have been the Peter Jackson era, about 2008, on a Friday night when Jack Lester had some fun against us. Lost 4-0 and freezing cold. First time I’ve ever left a game before the final whistle.

That was the one. I actually slightly mis-remembered the details as we were only 1 down at half time but conceded 2 quick ones after the break. Everything about that night was depressing

Moss Rose. Still there, of course, but that open away terrace could be brutal in poor weather.
Brutal one December night, never been so cold and we lost 2-1. Same season in May, however, it was a lovely place to be for the play off semi.

I've always enjoyed going to Bootham Crescent, but I think that may be because York has some good pubs!

Luckily been to a few lost stadia. Most are viewed through rose tinted specs as I’m sure they were dumps even then but it was the character and uniqueness of each one that is missing from modern grounds, even Sincil Bank .
Old Show Ground - My fist ever away match in 80/81 so holds great memories. Two great old covered ends, an odd ball Donny style main stand set up and that superb early cantilever. Great old school ground that was everything Glanford Park isn’t
Saltergate - I liked this ground. Classic footy ground with main stand and 3 sides of terrace. Close to the pitch and close to the town centre.
Feethams - Up there with Bootham Crescent. Town centre and next to the cricket pitch. The new stand really lifted the place. Almost perfect until that crook Reynolds turned up and destroyed them.
Springfield Park - Very open and that grass bank was great fun. Not sure what it would be like in the wet though!!
Baseball Ground - Proper big 1st division ground. Seats on all 4 sides and right up close to the pitch. Tainted somewhat by a 7-0 tonking.
Burnden Park - Another classic old school 1st division ground. Big terraces and old stands. Spoilt by that supermarket in the corner.
Millmoor - Another old school ground. Very basic but great atmosphere. That narrow passage though 😱 The New York Stadium is great though and to be fair it’s a great new arena.
The Dell - Terrible view from both the stand and the away terrace but another proper old 1st division ground.
Filbert Street - Another great old ground. Loved the 2 tier stand behind the goal. Loved beating them 1-0 even more 👊😃

Favourite would be Highbury, theres a few contenders for worst but ill give it to Northampton, three sided grounds just dont look right, Ive just seen a few photos of the old county ground which look a lot better than it did in its last days. I seem to remember it wasnt the friendliest of places to visit either.